Warning message on subsequent sessions after 1st save

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
JohnRoberts

Warning message on subsequent sessions after 1st save

#1 Post by JohnRoberts »

After the 1st save on a multisession CD-R with puppy 2.12
(using puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso) I get a warning that
zdrv_212.sfs could not be loaded because there is no swap partition...The first save I did, included additional fonts to enable bilingual support plus the changes in xorg.conf to enable keyboard language switching and Seamonkey bookmarks. All in all, the saved stuff is about 13Mb. There is plenty of RAM in the system (512MB). Free RAM indication is 437MB. If I boot a "fresh" Puppy LiveCD (without saving personal settings...) free RAM is at 310Mb.
There are no other indications during boot-up of something going wrong...All other steps are OK...
Is there something wrong? Shouldn't ZDRV load at startup? Is this normal?

P.S. I read this today (Dec 15 entry...) [http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/]
It seems the Redmond offspring feel so content with Windoze hole-plugging they developed a sense of humour :evil:
Help M$ become a Linux distro maintainer...
Force-feed them with Open-Source faster than they can produce patents

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I always get the same warning but everything seems to work. I guess if Puppy needs any of the drivers in zdrv, it finds them on the DVD and loads them from there.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

JohnRoberts

#3 Post by JohnRoberts »

Tks Flash

Apart from the message it seems to work for me as well. I guess ZDRV remains available on the CD. E.g. I can "hear" the CD spinning while opening the gxine plugin in Seamonkey...I just was not sure of the reason, i.e. if not loading ZDRV on RAM is a bug or if it is so by design, to free more space...(...I would love some devel feedback from Barry and the guys on this...). But generally on RAM-rich systems (the 512Mb one I regularly work on, is my smallest...), like some 2Gb RAM machines, using an extra 100-120Mb RAM to load ZDRV is a mere trifle...If not a bug, then maybe there should be a switch on boot-up...
Help M$ become a Linux distro maintainer...
Force-feed them with Open-Source faster than they can produce patents