Access digital camera pics

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
retry3

Access digital camera pics

#1 Post by retry3 »

The Gtkam program does not work in Puppy 2.14 as most know the hard way. Please either include or have as add-on a reliable way of getting and storing the photos so they can be worked on.
Thanks - Retry3
trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

Have you tried plugging a usb cable into it and using mut?

When I do come across a camera that puppy doesn't recognize, I just plug the card into my $20 usb multi-card reader.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I have several adapters for reading SD cards from a USB port (the first one worked so well I bought another. They're only about $10, if I remember right.) I use them instead of trying to make Puppy read the card through the proprietary interface of the camera. With the USB adapter, an SD card can also be used as a USB flash memory stick. And there's no need to keep track of the silly cord that connects the camera to the USB port.
john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

Hello retry3,
Even though Gtkam doesn't work for you, after I installed it and its dependencies MUT recognised my camera, where MUT didn't before installing Gtkam.

So Gtkam was still of use to me even though it didn't work as expected.

I think the dependency that got my camera working was libphoto But I could be wrong as I don't have the info in front of me as I am at work.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.
retry3

Delayed thanks

#5 Post by retry3 »

Thanks to trapster, Flash and john biles for their kind responses and help. I was taken out of action in more ways than one shortly after my post and am just now back - hence the tardy "thank yous".

trapster - I tried the MUT before and after but it just doesnt see the camera in any way. Will try your tip on the card reader nexr.

Flash - I appreciate your advice in this and other posts you have made. I will try the USB adapter approach if only to use some of my outgrown SD cards, excellent idea,

john biles- hello to you also and I think you are right about the libphoto file being the answer from some of the posts on another forum. I tried to download and install that file but my primitive skill level is not up to it - yet.

Thanks again for your promt replies -

retry3
Retry

Solved

#6 Post by Retry »

Thanks to the help I recieved I solved the problem of not getting the photos from the camera to the computer by getting a USB card reader. The camera that would not MUT access the card is a Kodak 340.