How about a Firefox Puppy?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
mike5713

How about a Firefox Puppy?

#1 Post by mike5713 »

Puppy comes in Mozilla and Opera flavors already. Why not a Firefox flavor? I love Firefox because of all the extensions, most of which don't work on Mozilla Suite. I am aware of the PupGet Firefox package, but it's version 1.0. Plus, that uses space in pup001 and can't be taken on the cd. How hard is it to make a Puppy package with Firefox 1.5? What about adding it to my CD and removing Mozilla? I could probably do it if someone gave me some info pages.

Brian C

#3 Post by Brian C »

I know that it can be added in (I have) but I think it's time to include a more modern browser in Puppy.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Mozilla works

#4 Post by Lobster »

Mozilla works. 8)

I was recommending the move to Firefox until Firefox 1.5 crashed for no reason. Other people have also reported crashes. Some of us even migrated to KDE Konqueror in protest.

Function above form. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

more modern
Is a couple of months really that ancient? That's even a beta Mozilla! I don't know old it is, but it is definately modern. Maybe it doesn't look it, but that's due to the theme, not age. And if you're going to complain about that, you mise well complain about much of how Puppy looks. But there is a reason: size. Didn't your mamma ever tell you not to judge a poodle by its curls? Besides, just because the dog doesn't naturally have curls doesn't mean you can't give them to it. Mozilla has plenty of themes, and with a little effort, you can change how the rest of Puppy looks too.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

puppypilgrim

#6 Post by puppypilgrim »

Lobster,

You are right. My Firefox 1.5 crashes on Puppy 1.07. My Mozilla 1.8b1.5 doesn't.

Oh well, we can't have always have our cake and eat it too.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood wrote: Mozilla has plenty of themes, and with a little effort, you can change how the rest of Puppy looks too.
Be wary of themes (and the dark side of The Force)
I always (first thing) installed the pinball theme and was wasting Barrys time reporting an error that was due to the theme rather than any fault of Mozilla or Puppy. :oops:

Can anyone recommend a theme they have used and had no problem with (I think I may install modern)

I would be interested to hear from those using other distros or Windows versions of Firefox. Flock which is based on ver. 1 of Firefox was very stable (much of the code was unwritten however) for such an early release browser.
In this case the latest Firefox is at fault and needs stabilising and reporting.

There is another.
Amaya (available as a pupget) This to me has always be the most fascinating browser and the most unusable (Barry likes it for Web design) - the thought of it makes me shudder . . .

Puppy when I first came across it was using Dillo - so I dismissed it as unworkable and unusable for an "As is" distro.

Programs that crash? Not for this Puppy. No Sir!
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Can anyone recommend a theme they have used and had no problem with (I think I may install modern)
I'm using Aquatint, and I put it though a large amount of abuse. I've yet to have a problem with it, and it is a very nice, clean theme. Goes perfect with the TrueCurve theme for IceWM.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

You are right. My Firefox 1.5 crashes on Puppy 1.07
i haven't noticed that Firefox 1.5 crashes ... i've been using it even before i made a dotpup package ... and the DeerPark betas

make sure you don't have too much space allowed for the cache ... Edit, Preferences, Privacy, Cache, Use Up To xx MB Of Disk Space For The Cache

you also can set the Clear Private Data tool to clear the cache when Firefox shuts down

i have mine set to 2 MB ... but you can set it to 0 MB

i added a line to my Firefox roxapp wrapper that actually deletes all the files in my cache folder when Firefox starts

another thing that may cause problems, is if you are using the config files from an earlier version of Firefox ... i know this can stop the Java plugin from working ... whether it causes any other problems, i don't know

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo, I am not going to tweak a browser to ensure it works. From experience I find that of it does not work to start with, then patching is masking. It is interesting that you say Firefox has always worked and I must say it has always worked for me up to 1.5. I suspect that all the bits and bobs and libraries and KDE and - well everything . . . at least three browsers, including Flock may have effected it. I appreciate the advice though and maybe I will come back to it.

Pizzasgood, I could not find Aquatint
The theme you requested is either incompatible with the application selected, or the version of it is no longer available on Mozilla Update.
and so downloaded Moderngrey from the same author as Pinball - it managed to crash (minimise, lock in memory and refuse to open - that means a crash) in 5 minutes.

Who is writing these themes - Bill Gates?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Nathan F

#11 Post by Nathan F »

I've had one or two crashes with it myself, but most of the time it works quite well. I've got it running in Grafpup, Fedora, and Windows via the company laptop and it behaves quite well in all of them for the most part.

My reasons for not wanting a Firefox Puppy are more straightforward. For not much more space you also get Composer with the Mozilla Suite. In fact, you can have the whole suite in a nice small (relatively speaking) package. Opera is even more suitable in my opinion. It's smaller than Firefox but includes an email client, too. Plus it's every bit as 'modern' as Firefox.

Actually, Opera is more advanced in some ways, especially in rendering SVG which is probably going to be replacing a lot of visual content on the web eventually.

Anyway, by the time you install Firefox, Thunderbird, and NVU seperately you're looking at a total size that's just plain enormous. I don't see why Mozilla made the decision to split them up in the first place.

The current Seamonkey beta is quite nice in a lot of ways. I'd rather see that in Puppy once it's out of beta.

Nathan

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

I am not going to tweak a browser to ensure it works
Puppy's Mozilla is setup this way, with the cache size set to 0 ... if you want to compare the two, it's not really fair to not setup Firefox the same way

i did not want my installer to change your browser's config files, so this is something you have to do yourself ... i am pretty sure i mentioned it in the installer's readme.txt file
at least three browsers, including Flock may have effected it
yes, using the same config files for different versions of Firefox can cause problems

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

GuestToo wrote: yes, using the same config files for different versions of Firefox can cause problems
Readme file? [grumble, grumble] Do we have to read readme's? OK it was very short

This is what it says:
you may want to limit the size of the cache
( Edit, Preferences, Privacy, Cache Tab )
Thanks G2 - you have always given good advice so I will follow it.

OK gonna give Firefox another chance with the settings you suggest. If it lasts the week without crashing then I will confirm it is stable. I really hope so, as I much prefer it. :) even with the points about Composer . . .

Many thanks everyone . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

I want it ALL

#14 Post by Lobster »

Firefox is accessing my hard drive each time it loads - no reason for that? Or is there? :? Also it comes up with small fonts and that needs changing - I know this was addressed but I could not find it.

Back to Mozilla Gosh I am fickle. I tried another theme LittleBeast 1.8 - which is small and seemed stable but it was ugly. Am I too fussy? I think Puppy has spoilt me - I want it ALL! :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/morei ... on=firefox

As for the cache, Firefox wasn't pre-set with low-hd in mind. It expects that you have many megabytes to burn. Probably because most computers come with so much space nowadays. At least to me. But I stopped (for the most part) buying new games in the days when a 400MB game was huge. Now they are over a gig and considered average :( I have maybe three games that large, none of which I play often due to pushing my computer's limits and a lack of time.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

Firefox is accessing my hard drive each time it loads
if you mean, it accesses the drive every time it starts, that's where the Firefox files are, if you installed Firefox on your hard drive ... you could copy the files to ram each time Puppy boots, though they are about 20 megs

Puppy's Mozilla files (and anything else that is built into Puppy) are probably in ram ... it's one of the advantages of Puppy (and one of the advantages you give up if you do an option 2 install)
I think Puppy has spoilt me
Puppy's spoiled me

Nevermore

#17 Post by Nevermore »

i think that adding firefox to a new release of puppy would be great.
as well ad Dillo..
mozilla is ok but simply can't stand the comparation with firefox, of course firefox should be cleaned off of all those useless stuff that make it VERY big and VERY hungry of memory..
a thin version of firefox would be great, then anyone can install stuffs if he wants..
dillo, is a good stuff too, even if it lacks some compatibility, is good for reading stuff on the net, maybe a puppy with 3 browser would be nice!
dillo, mozilla, and firefox reduced..
i am tired of waiting 5 seconds for firefox to start, i want something fast in starting like mozilla :D ramdisk is the cure.
btw, my old lap has some problems in playing divx..
would it be good to add a resolution filter to xine? like everything is decoded only at 320x280? it would allow me to play some divx!
--
/sbin/Nevermore

vern72023

#18 Post by vern72023 »

I reconfigued my setup to remove Mozilla nd replace it with Firefox and Thunderbird and honestly have had no problems ( I use Bombay's 2.6.1.1 kernel as a base)
I use the ifox theme , AllinOne sidebars and gestures, compact menu, fasterfox,qucknote, restart, tabbrowser pref, and pdf extensions and the ActiveX plugin

My profiles are also contained outside of puppy on a vfat32 disk so I can get to the same setup from either MS or PUPPY

I have never had a problem with crashes except where I have inadvertently messed up something in my firefox. and that is generally not the fault of the OS or Firebird but mine as I like to play around with CVS

George
george

costal martignier

#19 Post by costal martignier »

i love firefox over all, i can't live/surf without him, i need his cool extensions...

there are sooo many extensions only working for firefox, and they make my life as surfer and as developer a lot easier...

i never had a crash in firefox, neither in puppy ir elsewhere...

regards
costal

drini

another view

#20 Post by drini »

My reasons for not wanting a Firefox Puppy are more straightforward. For not much more space you also get Composer with the Mozilla Suite. In fact, you can have the whole suite in a nice small (relatively speaking) package. Opera is even more suitable in my opinion. It's smaller than Firefox but includes an email client, too. Plus it's every bit as 'modern' as Firefox.

Actually, Opera is more advanced in some ways, especially in rendering SVG which is probably going to be replacing a lot of visual content on the web eventually.

Anyway, by the time you install Firefox, Thunderbird, and NVU seperately you're looking at a total size that's just plain enormous. I don't see why Mozilla made the decision to split them up in the first place.
I see it differently. Puppy already comes with an email client /sylpheed) and bluefish is quite small, so substing mozilla by firefox+bluefish saves a lot of space