How about a Portable Puppy for Windows?

Promote Puppy !
steve_s

How about a Portable Puppy for Windows?

#1 Post by steve_s »

I happened across this looking at portable apps and saw Portable Ubuntu.

Puppy got anything like this? Just curious. I dare say if Puppy did it would be far more portable. 8)

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey steve

go to puppy universal installer in the setup menu of your favourite pup, whack on a usb and away you go

:)

LazY Puppy

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

I think what he means, is not to run Puppy in Virtualbox or a machine booted from USB to run Puppy but to run Puppy in Windows as a PortableApp for Windows. Just as you can run AbiWordPortable, e.g.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

years ago there was the portable puppy using allinoneqemu.exe which was effectively a portable qemu..... the usb stick was made to run the qemu which then booted the puppy within and voila... if networking went ok (college used a proxy but a windows tool got around finding the gateway ip) you had puppy running on windows..I used at a period of time spent at a college. The neatness of the system was you could boot the same puppy native on linux on the same stick. I had it on a 128MB mp3 player.... ah the days of teenie pups :)

Was built using puppy 2 and don't think he has updated his stuff but in theory there is no reason why not.
read about it here
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

Mike

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

Yep, lazypup and Mike got it. Will check that out, Mike.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

my bad.......:(

NeroVance

#7 Post by NeroVance »

mikeb wrote:years ago there was the portable puppy using allinoneqemu.exe which was effectively a portable qemu..... the usb stick was made to run the qemu which then booted the puppy within and voila... if networking went ok (college used a proxy but a windows tool got around finding the gateway ip) you had puppy running on windows..I used at a period of time spent at a college. The neatness of the system was you could boot the same puppy native on linux on the same stick. I had it on a 128MB mp3 player.... ah the days of teenie pups :)

Was built using puppy 2 and don't think he has updated his stuff but in theory there is no reason why not.
read about it here
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/

Mike
Even on a modern box, QEMU is typcially very limited in performance unless you have the proper kernel-level modules available such as KQEMU, hence you would really want something light on resources.

I'd think of it as how you might think of an old Pentium II box lying around.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

I have used Portable Virtualbox from a stick and run Puppy under that.
My machines are not the most powerful, so it wasn't very useful.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

yes not the fastest...was ok on pentium 4 machines.
Adding kqemu was not an option on those since the system was rebuilt via ftp on every reboot. (you could delete the lot beforehand though :D )

Did help me pass many a boring hour though.

And nothing to stop you using the same stick at home at full speed afterwards.

mike