Images too large in Forums Posts

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
LazY Puppy

Images too large in Forums Posts

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Some people are that much in love with their desktops, so they feel the urgent need to post huge images of screenshots of them beloved desktops.

Is it possible to set some automated function to the forum of automatically removing posted images and/or links to images larger than 800 pixel width?

It is really annoying and incomfortable to be forced to scroll horizontally to read a posts content because of someone felt in love with his desktop!

Thanks
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

The forum won't show images larger than 800 pixels wide (or more than 256KB in total) that are uploaded to the forum as attachments, but I know of nothing I can do if a post links to a large image somewhere outside the forum. In that case, your browser will go to the URL and download the image. At least, that's how I understand it works.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Flash is correct. Sorry, but your best bet is to steer clear of such threads...

Ah, we all have our pet peeves :P now, who left the cap off the freakin' toothpaste this time...? ;)

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

Flash wrote:The forum won't show images larger than 800 pixels wide (or more than 256KB in total) that are uploaded to the forum as attachments, but I know of nothing I can do if a post links to a large image somewhere outside the forum. In that case, your browser will go to the URL and download the image. At least, that's how I understand it works.
Ok, I see.

What about of some restricted admin rights for the owner of the thread, the one who did make the opening post:

- admin rights to be allowed to edit all postings whithin the topic, just to remove such links to huge images? :wink: :lol:

This would be nice/fun... :P
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

They already have that set up -- in that all of us can edit all of our own posts (AFAIK). If you ask them, they may resize their images for you... no promises!

Personally, while I do find such a thing annoying, it's only very, very rarely that it becomes enough of a PITA to pipe up about it.

For a very long time I was on another forum in addition to this one (I left it recently because the drama got to be a bit much) and it had a for sale / trade section -- sometimes the images in those threads would be Nimitz The Overblown Aircraft Carrier size, and those are a bit much even for me. That's really the only time I've actually posted *anywhere* about large images being large images.

Bottom line (for me at least), if you've got dialup, I understand and sympathize -- but IMO otherwise it's just personal preference and that's not really the problem, responsibility, or purview of the original poster. Personally, even if I were on dialup (I'm not anymore, thank heavens), I would probably choose to keep quiet about it. There are far larger and more important things to be ticked off about... besides, if you're on dialup, at this point big pics are the least of your worries ;)

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

They already have that set up -- in that all of us can edit all of our own posts (AFAIK). If you ask them, they may resize their images for you... no promises!
No, I'm not suggesting to members editing their own postings. I'm asking for admin rights for the member that has opened the topic. Admin rights to the topic-opening-member to be able to edit all the posts of the topic to remove such links to huge images.
Bottom line (for me at least), if you've got dialup, I understand and sympathize -- but IMO otherwise it's just personal preference and that's not really the problem, responsibility, or purview of the original poster. Personally, even if I were on dialup (I'm not anymore, thank heavens), I would probably choose to keep quiet about it. There are far larger and more important things to be ticked off about... besides, if you're on dialup, at this point big pics are the least of your worries
No, I'm not complaining about large images in size (kb). I'm complaining large images in geometry (pixels), since scrolling horizontally to be able to read the content of all postings of the topics page is really ...

... well, incomfortable, to use a friendly term!
RSH

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

It's really up to the poster to police his/her content, not the thread owner.

As for filesize vs size-on-the-monitor... the two tend very much to go hand in hand. Huge pics are huge by ANY metric, unless you're comparing different formats against each other...

Personally, since you've basically said you're not on dialup, this to me basically sounds like "I don't like looking at huge images therefore you should not post huge images". That's a little silly, at best, and it kinda makes you sound like a pushover. (I'm sure that's not your intent, I'm just saying how it gets received.)

Dude, this is the Internet. There's enough drama here as it is. Get up and go for a nice relaxing walk in a forest or on a nature trail somewhere, and breathe deeply while you're doing it. Your body will thank you, believe me. When you do finally get back to your computer, please remember that your problems are your problems and that you probably shouldn't spread them around to others.

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

Personally, since you've basically said you're not on dialup, this to me basically sounds like "I don't like looking at huge images therefore you should not post huge images". That's a little silly, at best, and it kinda makes you sound like a pushover. (I'm sure that's not your intent, I'm just saying how it gets received.)
This has NOTHING to do with:

"I don't like looking at huge images therefore you should not post huge images" and therefor it's NOT a little silly!

Read and recognize/notice: scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally scrolling horizontally :roll:

Can't really be that hard to understand!

If so, look here and try to read contents of pages postings.

Just to make sure: scrolling horizontally :roll:

Probably a screeny will do it for you - browser window is already set to full screen size.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
Probably a screeny will do it for you - browser window is already set to full screen size.
(89.33 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Sat 14 Feb 2015, 05:13, edited 3 times in total.
RSH

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

OK, just to make a point: if I post an image ten pixels tall and forty thousand pixels wide, that is not a huge image? ;)

Irregardless, ultimately this is where we stand.

You have a problem. I don't see this as a problem, and as nobody else in the entire forum has even posted in this thread (with the sole exception of Flash), I think it's reasonable to say that you are quite likely the only one experiencing this as a problem.

Therefore, in asking people not to post images that are large enough to make you have to scroll -- and (indirectly, if not explicitly) asking that thread posters remove large images posted by others within the thread -- you are asking everyone else on this forum to make accommodations for you.

I'm not going out on a limb, I think, when I tell you that that's a rather preposterous thought indeed. We're not here for you. We're here for us. If you would rather be somewhere else, then there is a whole Internet out there waiting for you. But please do NOT expect us to go to extra lengths just because you find extra-wide images annoying. That really is asking too much.

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

You just don't get to the point! :lol:

File CLOSED! :lol:
RSH

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

there are plugins for that, back in the day of pay per byte internet I used all those type of plugins I could, drop flash, no pictures etc. Used to be a setting in browser..

oh just checked its still there under Privacy & security -- Images Only load images that comes from org server..

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

works great star-hawks insulting sig pic GONE!!

LazY Puppy

#13 Post by LazY Puppy »

Ted Dog wrote:there are plugins for that, back in the day of pay per byte internet I used all those type of plugins I could, drop flash, no pictures etc. Used to be a setting in browser..

oh just checked its still there under Privacy & security -- Images Only load images that comes from org server..
YES!

That's a useful reply and a working solution made by a member being able to THINK!"

This works so far in Seamonkey over here!

Thank you very much! :)
RSH

Moat

#14 Post by Moat »

Agreed - a nuisance that crops up fairly often (have even accidentally caused it myself a time or two! :oops: ). In Firefox or Palemoon (maybe Seamonkey too?) there's an addon available that allows easily re-sizing images with the mouse's scroll wheel - "Image Zoom". Works great.

But - ah well. Forum BB software ain't perfect. Browsers ain't perfect. People ain't perfect. Life ain't perfect... :shock:

Bob

Fossil

#15 Post by Fossil »

Large images and extended URL's which stretch the screen width across what would normally be three or more lengths is unacceptable. Not everybody has a huge widescreen monitor. Reading a full 'page' length of separate posts perhaps three monitor widths, scrolling back and forth line-after-line is both time wasting and sickness inducing. Okay if you are young and with good eyesight and have a tolerance for movement but, remember this, when most of you have slipped past the forty years milepost - your eyes too will start to deteriorate. Add cataracts and/or glaucoma then reading anything becomes a serious trial - let alone having to scroll along each line simply because of the arrogance and inconsiderate action of others who cannot concede that a maximum image width is based on the benefit for all, not just their own egocentric aims.
Incidentally, there are several huge screen-captures lurking in areas of this forum. They may well be under the 250k limit, but the size (width) is not being deleted by the forum software.

LazY Puppy

#16 Post by LazY Puppy »

Fossil wrote:Large images and extended URL's which stretch the screen width across what would normally be three or more lengths is unacceptable. Not everybody has a huge widescreen monitor.
+1

Got to the point!
Reading a full 'page' length of separate posts perhaps three monitor widths, scrolling back and forth line-after-line is both time wasting and sickness inducing.
Again +1 - got to the point!
Moat wrote:Okay if you are young and with good eyesight and have a tolerance for movement but, remember this, when most of you have slipped past the forty years milepost - your eyes too will start to deteriorate.
And so are mine - I'm 51.
In Firefox or Palemoon (maybe Seamonkey too?) there's an addon available that allows easily re-sizing images with the mouse's scroll wheel - "Image Zoom". Works great.
I'm already using this, but I need to use it to make the Text of a Post a little bigger, so the Images will get even wider and one needs to scroll and scroll and scroll...
But - ah well. Forum BB software ain't perfect. Browsers ain't perfect. People ain't perfect. Life ain't perfect... :shock:
So it is. :lol:
RSH

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

LazY Puppy wrote:
In Firefox or Palemoon (maybe Seamonkey too?) there's an addon available that allows easily re-sizing images with the mouse's scroll wheel - "Image Zoom". Works great.
I'm already using this, but I need to use it to make the Text of a Post a little bigger, so the Images will get even wider and one needs to scroll and scroll and scroll...
Hmmm... must be a different "Image Zoom" than the one I'm talking about - which only re-sizes images - and leaves the text alone. See attached pic...

Firefox and Palemoon include their own native, available toolbar buttons for changing text size... no addon required for that.

Bob
Attachments
Image Zoom.jpg
Image Zoom addon in Firefox
(78.6 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Fossil wrote:... extended URL's which stretch the screen width ...
Yes. Those - and attached file descriptions that go on and on and on... right off the nether edge of the screen - can really stink up a perfectly good thread!

Bob

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

Ted Dog wrote:works great star-hawks insulting sig pic GONE!!
It's meant to be thought-provoking. You should think about what it means, and what it challenges, and what that means for you. If you see the invitation to think as an insult, there's really not much I can say to that, but I firmly believe that a thinking person is a better person for it.

Speaking of thinking... I think this thread is (at best) about a #firstworldproblem and is much ado about absolutely nothing. An example of a REAL problem, and one that could find itself tangentially under the purview of this forum, would be educating children in developing nations -- for example, there is a charity called the KIND Fund that makes school-desks for Malawi kids, and also employs Malawian workers to make the desks.

I'll be here if you want to discuss a real issue. In the meantime, it's been fun (not really), but my roof leaks badly, and I need to figure out how I'm supposed to pay for that...

Fossil

#20 Post by Fossil »

Speaking of thinking... I think this thread is (at best) about a #firstworldproblem and is much ado about absolutely nothing.
#Firstworldproblem? WTF are you talking about? Speaking? Wait until you grown up a bit, sonny! Until you have lived a few years and got some real life experience you don't know c***! Try reading line after line of extended text with cataracts for sometimes over twenty minutes just to get to a conclusion. Just be glad you do have good eyesight. When you lose yours you will definitely change your self-centred arrogant and sanctimonious tune. Go fix your own roof. Oh, sorry, you don't have enough experience!