Fatdog64-800 Alpha / Beta [20 Dec 2018] [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
p310don

#181 Post by p310don »

Issue in GIMP.

If you select the Write tool, and then select the font, and scroll down with the mouse scroll wheel, it crashes.
chiefengineer

Good deal

#182 Post by chiefengineer »

kirk wrote:
That will be included in beta.
I' m sure it works fine but I promise to
give it a work out when I'm back with my new Lenovo from
sunny Barcelona in a couple days...
Illutorium

Re: ACEPC T5 (18/12/2018)

#183 Post by Illutorium »

SFR wrote:
Illutorium wrote:2. Beside in Wi-Fi configuration it's a fail of a "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted"
Maybe your WiFi card is off?
Check this in Control Panel -> Network -> Wireless Antenna.
Or in terminal:

Code: Select all

rfkill list all
Greetings!
Still doesn't helped.
But on to Lubuntu 18.10: Wi-Fi Works,Sound while Playing of Firefox doesn't be lags.
foxpup

testing Fatdog beta

#184 Post by foxpup »

I like the simplicity of Puppy's simple running as root. So I've been hesitating to use Fatdog. It didn't run well on my very old PC in the old times anyway.
The articles of James however made me very curious, so I installed it on my almost new i5 laptop.

I was very surprised at how fast and easy it runs on this machine. Next to Tazpuppy it must be the fastest I have tried yet!

One remark on booting. It boots up very slowly on rEFInd directly. Maybe because I left everything in initrd. It doesn't matter because I boot with grub2 anyway.

I only could find 2 minor bugs so far:

In the event manager, I set RAM save interval to 0. It says that "save RAM layer" button should be on the desktop, but it is not.

I've been looking how to set keyboard shortcuts. In Help, the link on the bottom of "Basic keyboard shortcuts",
"Sven Multimedia Keyboard daemon", links to "Tray icons". That is not right and it does not help me.
don570

#185 Post by don570 »

I tested the 800 beta. So far everything is working.

I tested Mypaint , Gimp 2.10.9 appimage and blender 2.79b
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... 4.AppImage

I did a save to folder.
When I rebooted without the name of the save folder it searched
in partitions and listed old save folders that I had used with previous fatdogs. Good.

#186 Post by SFR »

p310don wrote:Issue in GIMP.

If you select the Write tool, and then select the font, and scroll down with the mouse scroll wheel, it crashes.
Could you please provide a detailed, step-by-step procedure to reproduce it?
Check for related errors using:

dmesg | grep -i firmware
Anyway, I'm not an expert in troubleshooting a network related issues, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will step in...
Usually savefile=ram:local boot option should do the trick.

Btw, setting it to 0 also prevents saving at shutdown.
If you want to disable periodic saving, but save the session at shutdown automatically, you need to specify some large value, like 999999999.
foxpup wrote:I've been looking how to set keyboard shortcuts. In Help, the link on the bottom of "Basic keyboard shortcuts",
"Sven Multimedia Keyboard daemon", links to "Tray icons". That is not right and it does not help me.
On "Tray icons" page, the 2nd screenshot of the panel, under letter L:
L - This is Sven the multimedia daemon. Right click to set your preferences.
It's the keyboard icon in system tray.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]
Revolverve

#187 Post by Revolverve »

I test and like all Fatdog64,nice work in 800b !
Not a daily user here and wont report what's working ,there is too much!
-On this integrated wacom pen&multitouch tablet tested here , i cannot get menu from tray from finger (cursor over,right click or double tap) ,but pen yes.But menu is accessible from the desktop(pen right/click(button) or finger right/click(2fingers)).
-jwm menu is missing a lot of entries compare to default mgr.. im a "finished fan" of jwm...
-here default browser is slooow,sorry did not investigate it.
-wifi connection work great,once you get it! if youre not use to its fatdog way..

I always slink in contemplation looking at your great team work!
Gobbi

#188 Post by Gobbi »

I'm running Fatdog64-800b on a two years old desktop and I am pleased so far . Many Thanks to the Fatdog Team for their hard work :!:
I installed compiz (FD721) and a conky package that I compiled a while ago for FD721 . For conky I had to install libncurses from the repo . I also added some cosmetics .
When using LxQt-Panel Theme Switcher from Control Panel/Desktop/ , after successfully switching the theme , the second window does not close when pressing the OK button , but enters in a loop returning to the first window : the one with the available themes . Closing the first window from the top-right button stops that cycle .
For me ibiblio source didn't work for Gslapt . As soon as I changed the source to nluug in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc it worked .
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(100.4 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Illutorium

Driver are be found but Fail to load

#189 Post by Illutorium »

Illutorium wrote:Still doesn't helped.
But on to Lubuntu 18.10: Wi-Fi Works
Hmm, maybe missing firmware then?
Check for related errors using:

dmesg | grep -i firmware
Anyway, I'm not an expert in troubleshooting a network related issues, so hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will step in...

I tried with this Command,but Driver are be found but are be failed to Load:

[ 10.292911] rtl8723bs mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for rtlwifi/rtl8723bs_nic.bin failed with error -2
[ 10.292920] Request firmware failed with error 0xfffffffe
rcrsn51

#190 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Illutorium: This looks like the missing firmware file here.

Copy it to /lib/firmware.

------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 24 Dec 2018, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
foxpup

thanks, no bugs

#191 Post by foxpup »

@SFR

Thank you for your help.
So no bugs after all. :)
I still have to get used a bit to the way Fatdog sets up/works.

With Sven I had some trouble to insert the key code I wanted.
eg When I hit Win+b it inserted bWin+b. I solved it by editing ~/.sven/key_config in a text editor.

I also want something to connect to and transfer files with android, a small tablet in my case. I've used easyshare for that untill now.
I found MTP Browser in Fatdog. It did not work at first. I had to enable usb for file transfer. That was not needed for easyshare.
Anyway, it now works very well. It is a lot faster than with easyshare, but I should try it in easyshare now with the new setting in android.
[EDIT] I just tried it and I have to confirm, MTP in Fatdog is definitly faster than easyshare.
p310don

#192 Post by p310don »

SFR wrote:

p310don wrote:
Issue in GIMP.

Could you please provide a detailed, step-by-step procedure to reproduce it?
Open any image or make a new image

Create a text box

On the left Tool Option box, click on the font chooser and either scroll with the mouse, or click on another font

Magic disappearing act

Not sure if this is a Fatdog issue, or a GIMP issue, but an issue either way.

edit: seems to be a noted issue in GIMP

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1419578

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=722223

https://www.google.com/search?q=font+se ... e&ie=UTF-8
SFR

#193 Post by SFR »

Revolverve wrote:-jwm menu is missing a lot of entries compare to default mgr.. im a "finished fan" of jwm...
Yeah, it isn't really polished, it's only a neglected, backup WM, but from what I see it's missing only icons, not the entries themselves.
Anyway, I'll see if I can do anything about it.
Gobbi wrote:When using LxQt-Panel Theme Switcher from Control Panel/Desktop/ , after successfully switching the theme , the second window does not close when pressing the OK button , but enters in a loop returning to the first window : the one with the available themes . Closing the first window from the top-right button stops that cycle .
That's by design, so users can quickly switch to another theme, if the previously chosen one hasn't met their expectations.
But the first dialog has also 'Cancel' button.
Gobbi wrote:For me ibiblio source didn't work for Gslapt . As soon as I changed the source to nluug in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc it worked .
Perhaps Ibiblio was down at that moment, it happens occasionally...

Create a text box

On the left Tool Option box, click on the font chooser and either scroll with the mouse, or click on another font

Magic disappearing act

Not sure if this is a Fatdog issue, or a GIMP issue, but an issue either way.

edit: seems to be a noted issue in GIMP

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1419578
Thanks, I was able to reproduce it, but only when running GIMP as a regular user.
Can you confirm that was the case?
Otherwise, perhaps one of the fonts on your system is somehow corrupted..?

Anyway, I happened to have one font with 0600 permissions and scrolling to exactly this font was causing the crash.
After fixing its permissions (0644), no crash.

GIMP 2.10.4 (repo) has it fixed, btw.

I found 2 related commits:
https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commit/00 ... 95d3f84fda
https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/commit/1b ... d6ef6a059b
and the latter did the trick.

Thanks everybody for the kind words &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
borzeh

#194 Post by borzeh »

Frugal Install Fatfog800b on lenovo x220.
Everything works like 721 and no problem until now.

Fatdog's team: Great Job , like always...
Fatdog is my only OS from version 700.

I would like to say one more time, Thank You... :wink:
p310don

#195 Post by p310don »

SFR wrote:
Thanks, I was able to reproduce it, but only when running GIMP as a regular user.
I am running as default user root. The only fonts on my system are what FD comes with.
GIMP 2.10.4 (repo) has it fixed, btw.
Confirmed it is fixed, however GIMP no longer runs from the menu, only from command line.
SFR

#196 Post by SFR »

p310don wrote:
SFR wrote:Thanks, I was able to reproduce it, but only when running GIMP as a regular user.
I am running as default user root. The only fonts on my system are what FD comes with.
Nope, I can't repro it as root.
Did you try to reproduce it without savefile (savefile=none)?

Anyway, it's still about fonts, so there's a good chance the commit I found will fix it anyway.
p310don wrote:Confirmed it is fixed, however GIMP no longer runs from the menu, only from command line.
Maybe the menu entry hasn't got updated properly.
Should start working after restarting X.

Greetings!
chiefengineer

Re: Good deal

#197 Post by chiefengineer »

chiefengineer wrote:
kirk wrote:
That will be included in beta.
I' m sure it works fine but I promise to
give it a work out when I'm back with my new Lenovo from
sunny Barcelona in a couple days...
So here is my experience:
lspci lists what I have as:
RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Wpa_gui is disabled after boot and won't restart on own or thru
Control Panel. Card is listed as antenna up and active, not blocked,
so went thru Network Setup which crashed a couple times until I disabled the already disabled Wpa_Gui there. Then, like magic, I activated settings and WPA_GUI sprang to life, connected, and I am reporting this thru the card itself.

So this makes ME happy!
Thanks...

PS I may have spoken a little soon as my clickpad became inactive and had to hard reboot into THE SAME CONDITION of mouse moves but nothing clicks...after it worked out of the box. Mind you, no save file yet. On the next hard reboot clickpad came back to life...thinking period of inactivity killed the daemon but am embarrassed to report cannot identify model of clickpad thru Puppy. Think this might be related to wireless card since configuring it again kept looping in the Network tool until I outlasted it.

AUI1665:00 044E:121E is listed for mouse and keyboard without anything else under input devices. Guess should disable any sort of hibernated state...?

PPS After use of save folder configuration was saved and connected
to wireless automatically, but WPA_GUI vanished. Control Panel says it is marked to start at boot but not currently running.
Last edited by chiefengineer on Thu 27 Dec 2018, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
p310don

#198 Post by p310don »

SFR wrote
Maybe the menu entry hasn't got updated properly.
Should start working after restarting X.
Confirmed, that fixed it. Makes it kind of like windows, having to restart to complete installation...!
p310don

Thunderbird High CPU

#199 Post by p310don »

I installed Thunderbird and copied over my profile from previous installations.
It decided it needed to re-sync every email ever (as a hoarder, that means about 90000 emails) which kept CPU usage at around 50% for the next few hours.

I let it do it's thing, figuring that it'd settle down once fully synced. Now it still sits between 30 - 40% at idle.

Using the same profile in Xenial doesn't have the same issue.
p310don

Chrome Time

#200 Post by p310don »

My preferred browser is usually Chrome, which runs essentially flawlessly.

However, it doesn't keep time properly.

I noticed this checking my gmail. The current time here is 10:12pm Australian Eastern Standard Time 28 Decmeber.

I sent an email to myself. In Thunderbird, it shows as having being received at 22:12. In gmail in Firefox it shows as having been received at 10:12pm, in seamonkey the same but in Chrome 12:12pm, 10 hours behind.

The timezone here is GMT+10, so I have to assume chrome is using GMT+0

Changing locales doesn't seem to change anything.