Palemoon lost after update. How to install latest version?

Booting, installing, newbie
JFB

#1 Post by JFB »

Hello everyone... I am running Tahrpup 6.0.5, 32 bit version. I tried to update palemoon, but something went wrong. After the update, which I'm not sure completed fully, palemoon would not launch. After mucking around in the puppy package manager (installing and uninstalling), I went to the palemoon site and downloaded palemoon 28.7.1.linux-i686.tar.bz2. I extracted it, clicked on the "palemoon" file, and it opened, with all my previous customizations. So I know that everything is in there somewhere, but I do not know how to properly install the palemoon package. So would someone please tell me how to get this latest version of palemoon installed properly, so I can launch from the desktop... Thanks...

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

The extracted Palemoon is usually placed in /opt. Open /opt/palemoon/, and in a new window you open /usr/bin/. Drag the file /opt/palemoon/palemoon to /usr/bin/, and when you release the mouse-button, choose Link (relative) from the pop-up dialog window.
If you right-click on the desktop browser icon, and choose Edit Item, you will most likely see that clicking the icon opens /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. If you choose File 'browse' -> Open as text, you will see the text from defaultbrowser, and it should be palemoon. If not, open the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser in geany, and modify the text.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

JFB

#3 Post by JFB »

Thank you so much...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

JFB: Did you take Tallboy's advice? Did it work for you? Just saying "Thank you" isn't very useful. :)

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ JFB:_

I would hazard a guess that the reason it all 'went wrong' was because you attempted to do so using the separate updater application. This no longer functions; re-installs were required to move up to the 28-series Palemoon browser, and the browser now auto-updates in situ, in very much the same way as the Firefox browsers do.

If you've followed tallboy's advice, that should do what you want.....although, as Flash says, it would be appreciated if you could just 'follow-up' and let us know what happened.

Mike. :wink:

JFB

#6 Post by JFB »

Yes, I did follow Tallboy's advice. And, yes, it did work. If you will notice, I said "thank you" at 1:30 am; a bit late at night for me... What can I say?...

Again: thank you Tallboy! Your quick advice/instruction was the answer...

LNSmith

#7 Post by LNSmith »

I confirm Tallboy's method worked to install Palemoon 28.7.1.
I add the following info.
I am using Tahr-pup 6.0.6 at this moment.

Generally I followed Tallboy's instruction closely.
I downloaded and extracted '*.tar.bz2'.
I opened the shell (the command line) and navigated to the directory containing the 'tar.bz2' file.
To extract Palemoon I typed: tar -xvf palemoon(whatever).tar.bz2

That command created a directory (palemoon) and sub-directories BELOW the directory containing the 'tar.bz2' file. So - at that time I had the palemoon browser working AND a second palemoon directory and files on another drive - (it was sdb1).

Next I closed the working palemoon browser and erased the directory (and sub-directories) /opt/palemoon. Having erased that directory (and the PM browser) I dragged and dropped the 'new' palemoon directory in the location of the old (ie /opt).

After that operation I had a directory (and files) similar to the former structure EXCEPT it contained the most recent version of Palemoon.

Using the desktop icon "browse" I loaded and ran the NEW version of palemoon (28.7.1).

Generally I suggest Tallboy's method is adequate. I give some additional detail here. In particular I give the syntax to extract palemoon from the 'tar' file.

BFN

Leslie