What was your first Linux ?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
nubc

#21 Post by nubc »

Austrumi was only 50 MB or so. I chose it for its small size.

enrique

#22 Post by enrique »

Before 1980 I saw my uncle build a Heathkit H8.
around 1982 had chance to play with Comodores 64
&Commodore PET 2001 computer, my first PC game ever Gold Miner
Best games run in Mac 64 was Jump Jet.

On the mayor league, Was lucky to help carry stacks of programming cards. Thank God I did not have to punch them. But was really funny seen the tape recorders, where was only allow to bring the reals to safe storage. All this unpaid.

Now Linux well almost, Unix server administered by a 15 year old boy that I was proud to help, around 1984. Then around 1985 I got an opportunity to work part time in a computer center with the latest. They got new 5 & 10 Mega byte Hard Drives the size of small refrigerators. HEHEHEHE.

Burn_IT

#23 Post by Burn_IT »

So you would know about floor sorts then??
Paper tape rewind finger??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rockedge

#24 Post by rockedge »

Going back in time I started with a PDP-11/70 and the operating system was RSTS/E and Digital Corp. Basic....then learned to code on an Altair 680B using a Teletype 33 with toggle switch boot strap loading and feeding in a mile of paper tape to run TinyBasic.

moved on to the USAF and on the F-106 loaded diagnostic code in using toggle switches...in Octal as a MA-1 mechanic. went on to learn IBM mainframe sysop and batch script coding. Landed on MSDOS and eventually Windows and sprung over to Linux as soon as I could get a download and install it
Attachments
640px680_built_2787.jpg
(51.63 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by rockedge on Sat 30 Nov 2019, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: What was your first Linux ?

#25 Post by sheldonisaac »

J_D_(in part) wrote:What was your first Linux and what do you use now?
BasicLinux. I think devised by Steven Darnold? In this forum, sindi sometimes posts; she was quite expert in that distro. It was about 20 MB, regular install. No GUI. I've not used it in years, Now the first item in menu.lst is Radky's Buster80 32-bit.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

nubc

#26 Post by nubc »

The biggest decision for me was between Puppy and DSL. (It didn't take long to decide, because Puppy did so much more.) SLiTaz came much later.

Keef

#27 Post by Keef »

Mandrake. Can't remember what version, but got it off a cover disk. Managed to wipe XP while trying to repartition, got there in the end. Also tried Ubuntu when they would post a CD to you for free, but not that mad on it. Later tried Slackware for a while. First tried from a series 1 version (Springer?).
Preferred small live CD distros from early on - Peanut, Slax, Vector, the usual suspects.

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ J_D_:-

That would have been Ubuntu 'Trusty', just after EOL for XP. I distro-hopped a fair bit for a few months, but always seemed to remain with 'buntu-based distros.....until support for my graphics started getting very patchy. Regular 'freeze-ups' became the order of the day....and trying to get Linux to run at all on the anciente Dell lappie had always been a nightmare due to the 'orrible 'Brookedale'-cored graphics chip in use.

That was traced back to Canonical 'customizing' their kernels to only support more up-to-date hardware. Buggers. They've only ever given lip service to the Linux concept of supporting older hardware, 'cos Shuttleworth has always fancied Ubuntu as the main 'challenger' to MyCrudSoft on our side of the fence. A mate on the Ubuntu Forums suggested giving Puppy a look toward the end of 2014; Slacko & Precise gave the same 'issues'.....then Tahrpup was released. Wonder of wonders, it worked 100%, OOTB.

I ran Tahr from a flash drive for a few months, then stuck it on the HDD early 2015. Less than a month later, the big Compaq was switched-over to our favourite canine, and I went 'all-Puppy'.

Haven't looked back since.....with a single exception. Last year, I had a look at Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, just for the hell of it. That lasted all of 2 hours, before I wiped it off again. Urrk; it was dreadful. No thanks, Canonical; you've had your chips, as far as I'm concerned..! :roll:
perdido wrote:I don't see changing from puppy to anything else as I enjoy the total control it gives me along with great support from this forum.
Absolutely. The support & camaraderie on this Forum beats the hell out of any other on the web.....and I feel proud to be a part of it.

You guys rock!!! Image Image

Mike. :wink:

anticapitalista

#29 Post by anticapitalista »

Original slax back in 2003/2004, then very soon after Mepis in 2004.

musher0

#30 Post by musher0 »

AliXe, a Slax derivative by Sylvie Migneault, back in 2008.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

8Geee

#31 Post by 8Geee »

Hmmm, I guess the UNIX based IBM360 server that dispensed BASIC, Fortran, and COBOL to the nodes (me at the terminal) was the first... late 1976*. As for Linux... EEEpc Xandros, Puppy Slacko-5.5XL, and Slacko5.7 in order.

*- No video, just roll-paper or punch cards. The "mass storage" consisted of a roll of 4-column paper-tape wound onto a paper-towel roll. By cutting a wire clothes hangar, the paper towel roll with 6-8 programs could be stored in the clothes closet in dorm/bedroom.

Ahh the good 'ol college days where necessity was the Mother of Invention!

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

tallboy

#32 Post by tallboy »

Red Hat Linux, Solaris and a little Unix at the Uni in 2000, Debian 2.1 Slink was the first Linux at home at that time, shortly after followed by Potato, which was my real intro into the depths of Linux. Before that I used Mac, and I tried to play a bit with their 'ux, without any progress.

From Dpup 4.8.4-beta4 from 2011-12 onward, I have been using a Puppy as my every day Linux, with the occasional use of a large Debian for some heavy work.
Last edited by tallboy on Wed 04 Dec 2019, 02:47, edited 2 times in total.

TiredPup

#33 Post by TiredPup »

I got a hold of a Redhat linux install cd-rom tucked in a McGraw-Hill paperback on Redhat Linux in '99 or early 2000. I installed it from console without a clue as to what I was doing. It booted to X using the in built tabbed window manager. I was using a Packard Bell 200MHz Cyrix processor with 40mb of RAM. I wiped out Windows 98 to do the install.

I fussed around with it enough to learn how to start applications from the terminal that popped up when the window manager loaded.

From there I worked my way through Mandrake, Slackware 4.0, Vector Linux 2.x (I really got serious about VL with the 3.0 deluxe iso was released). I discovered Puppy with the release of 2.10. I played around with that but used VL as my daily driver until I came into possession of an Eeepc 701 and I made the jump to Puppy Linux on that with the release of Pupeee (based on 3.0).

I have tested and briefly used many other operating systems but have used Puppy as a primary ever since.

tommy

#34 Post by tommy »

My first Linux was a Red Hat 6 version with kernel 2.4.20 that was bundled with an italian PC magazine, year 2003. It was not very used due to an incompatibility with an USB Dsl modem I had. Then I began to install other distibutions, lost time and got angry, discovered live distros like DSL and Knoppix, felt better, finally discovered Puppy in 2005 and never changed my mind.