Slacko No-Go

Booting, installing, newbie
Scrappy Doo

Slacko No-Go

#1 Post by Scrappy Doo »

I just downloaded Slacko Puppy 6.3.2, and on 2 seperate system it froze up. I was on this system here, and it booted and ran fine, i was online setting the preferences on the browser, and was told i had to shut down and restart Light for the multi process light feature to begin operating. While waiting on Light to come back up, the screen went all "tie dye" like, meaning just a scramble of colors. I let it sit a sec., then held down power key til shut down. On other system, it didnt even get that far. it just boot up, then screen did same thing after a minute or so. Any ideas on why?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What are the specific computers you are trying to run Slacko 6.3.2 on?
Make and model or specs if you know them.

They could be too new for Slacko 6.3.2.

To do any fixing, you will have to talk about each computer, one at a time.
i was online setting the preferences on the browser, and was told i had to shut down and restart Light for the multi process light feature to begin operating.
What specific browser?
What is light suppose to be?
That is new to me what it even is.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

zagreb999

#3 Post by zagreb999 »

Slacko Puppy 6.3.2 by micko is
perfect os!
for me it works on every
computer...
do not use light browser-
it destroys system!!!

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

To help everyone concerned, please be precise and give full details of each computer: their processor, memory, hard drive and especially in this instance the video system. Is Slacko running directly from a CD or have you created a frugal install and saved it to the hard drive? These little pieces of information helps to decide a course of action.

Scrappy Doo

#5 Post by Scrappy Doo »

Thank you all very much for the input! I am on the city bus now, but as soon as I get home I will post the PC specs.

Zagreb999: I actually thought along that line, the command to restart light is what caused it initially, but, I didn't post all necessary info, so I will have to wait for a fix!

I am on the way to town to get more burn discs. I am trying out other versions of Puppy to see if one sits PERFECT for me... I'm sure there is one. I started with Bionic Beaver, and am just curious if there is one out there I can run as is. I liked how Slacko has DuckDuckGo as a default browser.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Actually, DuckDuckGo is --like google.com-- just a website setup to search the Web. Any web-browser can access it. I'm running Palemoon, and although its search bar currently shows "Google", it has a drop-down arrow from which several search sites, among them, DuckDuckGo, can be selected. I could configure Palemoon's preferences to use DuckDuckGo as its default Search Engine or any others 'builtin'. There's also some way to add other Search Engines, but a little more complicated. The same holds true for (almost?) all other Web-browsers.

But, whether they do or not, you might take a look at WebSearch, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 08#1012908 a neat little application that Argolance wrote (mostly?) in bash so it takes up almost no space. What it does is open your default Web-browser to one of your choice of the twenty or so search engines which will show the results of the search term you entered even before going online. DuckDuckGo is among that '20'.

Fossil

#7 Post by Fossil »

As mikeslr suggested, you are not restricted to just one search engine in whatever browser you choose to run - there are loads out there! All can be installed by just a few clicks.
There is also a website - the Mycroft Project - where you can download a considerable choice. The usual caveates apply!
https://mycroftproject.com/dlstats.html
It all depends on which continent you reside and what appeals to you. Some search engines are more security minded (and less intrusive) than others we could name! :twisted:

Scrappy Doo

#8 Post by Scrappy Doo »

Thank you for the advice! I know I can access any engine in my browser, I just wanted it to be the default, but Light only uses google,bing, and wiki as a default.

Ahh, honestly, that's just my lil pet-peeve (lame pun intended 8) I actually LOVE Bionic Beaver, it is now my main OS, I just want to see what the other OS's have as standard in them and REALLY just want to see the other pups.
In a few short months, I will be upgrading my system, and Puppy helped me to sit down and ask: What do I need out of my home PC? Email, movie stream, YouTube,etc. I realized that for me the PC is mostly recreational.

I WOULD like more privacy online, this is something Puppy made me realize. EXAMPLE: I was at home with my fam., watching Netflix, and Googled an actor, it led to a movie review site,blah,blah… BUT... the very next day Netflix puts that movie up as a Recommended for You flick! Also, not too long back, I got on a binge watch marathon and watched Oranges is the new Black for 2 weeks straight, and now I STILL get cast updates, etc. on my Google news feed.

We ALL have TONS of things like this, I just realized that there are ways to take my privacy back!

Once I upgrade and have more space, I can afford the luxury of having a few things standard packed into my OS, and this is part of why I look at the other pups as well.

Scrappy Doo

#9 Post by Scrappy Doo »

I attempted to use Tahrpup off a USB, and it froze up on both systems like the Slacko, so it HAS to be inapprorriate for my systems, as 2 versions wouldn't do this for no reason...

my main-use system is:

AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor
3GB mem.
32 bit
manufactured by hewlett packard model: s3713w

i installed it on the USB using the rufus file i DL'd with BionicBeaver.

The second time I tried Slacko on this system, i was listening to the pMusic world radio, and before screen went "tie dye" on me, it froze (mouse did) radio started skipping, the screen went multi color on me. before that, net ran fine, pMusic was good, firewall activated fine, then...

Second system specs.:

Intel Core i3-7100@3.90Ghz
8GB mem.
64 bit
runs windows 10, if knowing that helps

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

sounds like the hewlett packard model: s3713w is suffering hardware failure more than operating system trouble.

Tahr is a super resilient OS and boots on just about anything I've thrown it on.

the second system should run Bionic64 side by side with Windows 10 with no problems

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

rockedge wrote:sounds like the hewlett packard model: s3713w is suffering hardware failure more than operating system trouble.

Tahr is a super resilient OS and boots on just about anything I've thrown it on.

the second system should run Bionic64 side by side with Windows 10 with no problems
Mm-hm. Rockedge is right; it's extremely unusual to find hardware that Tahrpup won't boot on.....

It was the first Puppy that just 'worked', OOTB, on everything I, too, tried it on. If every Puppy you try is failing, then I wouldn't blame the Puppies.....it's more likely to be a hardware issue of some kind.

The problem, now, is going to be tracking it down.... :roll:

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#12 Post by rockedge »

Going by the given facts I'm thinking this could be RAM failure. Maybe try re-seating the RAM sticks in their slots and reboot.

Scrappy Doo

#13 Post by Scrappy Doo »

i totally agree that it has to be the system....

oddly enough, the smaller system (HP) runs the Pups better than the large one, I figured that my Pups were just not the right versions to run on a faster system. The Intel Core PC (larger one) had a few other issues that i didn't mention, but could be related to it as well. I couldn't get it to boot AT ALL at first, had to go into BIOS and set boot order and it STILL acted funny. I just kinda gave up testing it.

My very short experience showed me that the Bionic Beaver pup is not only the one that runs perfect, but might actually be a better fit for my computing needs. I still would like to use the others just to try them out, but uPupBB is my permanent. I'm just glad that the first pup worked, so that i didnt get turned off on them and think THEY were the problem! :shock:

Its a little late my time now, but tomorrow i plan to figure out the issues with Slacko and Tahr.