Windows 7 won't show pictures from HDD

Using applications, configuring, problems
lakedude

Windows 7 won't show pictures from HDD

#1 Post by lakedude »

Wife had a failing HD. Ran DDRescue 1.23 from FatDog64. 99.99 percent of a 500GB drive was recovered. The source drive would only display 3 out of 4 partitions with the largest one absent. After running DDRescue all four partition on the "TO" drive appeared on the desktop So far so good. DDRescue appears to have fixed the partition table and that partition is mountable and viewable.

So I found some old pictures and copied them to my Windows 7 hard drive but Windows fusses that it does not have permission to view these files. It says to click to get access but access to the file is never granted. There seems to be an issue with the drive being perhaps "READ ONLY" or perhaps a different owner or other permission issue.

I was able to change the access rights one file at a time and view each picture but could not do it for multiple files or for all the files in the folder.

I'm not sure if this is a Linux issue or a Windows issue so I might be asking in the wrong place. I figure y'all would understand Windows better than a Windows forum would understand Linux...

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

lakedude

#2 Post by lakedude »

I copied the folder full of pictures from the "TO" drive to the Windows 7 drive while still booted up in FatDog.

SFR

#3 Post by SFR »

lakedude wrote:I copied the folder full of pictures from the "TO" drive to the Windows 7 drive while still booted up in FatDog.
This is probably related to how we use ntfs-3g in Fatdog:
FAQ for the upcoming Fatdog-811 wrote:When mounting NTFS (either for savefile usage or by clicking on the drive icon), Fatdog by default uses the full NTFS permission system to map it to the POSIX permission. This enables files and directories in NTFS partition to behave as if they are located in POSIX filesystem (like ext3/ext4). One of the benefit of this, is that you can have savedir on an NTFS partition.

However, this assumes that you do not share this NTFS partition with Windows, because Fatdog will setup an NTFS permission that Windows don't understand (from Windows, the files and directories will be seen as owned by a foreign user). It is possible to map the the Fatdog NTFS user to Windows NTFS user, but the process is a little complicated.
I don't use Windows nor know much about ntfs-3g, but I think the simplest solution could be to just copy all those files (from within Fatdog or other Linux) to a FAT partition (e.g. on some USB drive), so all the NTFS metadata will be lost in transition and Windows should be able to access them without complaining.
Or access the "TO" drive directly on Windows.
Not sure if it's actually gonna work, but it's worth a try...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

lakedude

#4 Post by lakedude »

SFR, that is perfect, thank you.

Nice find on how FD handles NTFS, sounds exactly like my problem.

I had thought of setting up a FAT partition but wasn't sure if that would work. Now with your confirmation that is what I'm going to do. The extra step coping to a FAT partition will be way faster than setting permissions for each picture one at a time.

The wife's drive might have Windows viruses on it so I don't really want to mount it in a Windows system, especially if there were any possibility the system might try to boot from her drive.

I suppose I could kill the boot flag but the FAT partition sounds better to me.

I wonder if burning an optical disk (CDFS) will kill the META data? That might be best, save me from finding and erasing a drive to make a FAT partition on.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Lakedude, let us know if it works. :)

lakedude

#6 Post by lakedude »

Had too many files to burn to optical.

Curiously I had an SSD that I bought to test something at work available. It was no trouble to make a FAT-32 partition and copy several gigs of mostly pics and vids over.

As a test I copied one folder from the FAT drive to my W7 partition using FatDog and had the same problem. See pic.

Since the FAT drive is not bootable and does not contain files other than pics and videos I'm going to try and plug it into my W7 system directly and see what happens.

Maybe I'll boot to FatDog one more time to make sure I copied from the proper drive.

Maybe burn a disk just as a test since people seem interested.
Attachments
permissions.png
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

lakedude

#7 Post by lakedude »

Ok I attempted another copy from FAT32 to W7 using FatDog64 and once again ran into permission issues. Now thinking this is not a compatibility issue with the source drives but perhaps the way FatDog writes to the destination drive (my W7 system drive).

I have also tested burning to optical CD and this way works perfectly. The disk was burned using FD64 and then read by the W7 system. No problems.

Finally, copying from the FAT32 drive to the W7 drive using W7 works perfectly. FatDog seems to be the culprit.

I will not hook up the recovery disk to my W7 system so we will never know if the FAT32 step was really required. Too worried about getting a virus for that. I expect it would work fine and that the FAT32 step was not required. Kinda wish I could test and know for sure.

Oh there is another drive formatted in NTFS that I copied a few things to using FatDog and these files also had permission issues.

I'm sure all the pics and vids will work fine for me now so I don't really need anymore help. Thanks for the help! Happy to run safe tests if someone is interested.

SFR

#8 Post by SFR »

lakedude wrote:As a test I copied one folder from the FAT drive to my W7 partition using FatDog and had the same problem. See pic.
lakedude wrote:Finally, copying from the FAT32 drive to the W7 drive using W7 works perfectly. FatDog seems to be the culprit.
Exactly, that's the source of the problem. You can't copy from FAT to NTFS using Fatdog, because it sets the problematic NTFS permissions again.

However, it might work to mount the destination NTFS partition manually, using, e.g.:

Code: Select all

ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
what mounts the partition without 'permissions' attribute:

/dev/sda3 on /mnt/sda3 type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096)
as opposed to:

/dev/sda3 on /mnt/sda3 type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
so copying the files via Fatdog shouldn't set those additional permissions anymore (I think).

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

lakedude

#9 Post by lakedude »

Interesting. I wonder if the regular Puppy Linux does the same thing or if this is a special FatDog "feature".

I suppose a test is in order...