ClamAV for Xenialpup missing dependencies

Using applications, configuring, problems
memo

ClamAV for Xenialpup missing dependencies

#1 Post by memo »

hi all,

I am looking for a good anti virus anti maleware etc.. I have heard about clamAV , some love it some not that much. I thought I would try it and tried to download it from the ppm manager however there are missing dependencies, hence can not be downoaded not install, is there a recent pet version that may work on xenialpup. let me also if you have other apps that enhance our system securities or different antivrus.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Not the newest but still works fine.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=783839

I use it with bionicpup32 so should be good for xenial

memo

#3 Post by memo »

perdido wrote:Not the newest but still works fine.

thanks for the link, I have downloaded and updated it but then when I try the analyzer I got the error on the following screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/gNEijR0.png

I have tried it with different files and still get this error. btw, how to scan the whole partition or drive?
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

memo wrote:
perdido wrote:Not the newest but still works fine.

thanks for the link, I have downloaded and updated it but then when I try the analyzer I got the error on the following screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/gNEijR0.png

I have tried it with different files and still get this error. btw, how to scan the whole partition or drive?
Thats something new, mine does that too. :shock:
I have only scanned /mnt/sda2 and /mnt/sda3 partitions and it works for those.

I will no longer recommend that download.
If I find a fully working version I will report back.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Pup runs good? No problems? Fantastic!

Unless warranted, pay virus scanners no mind. Be happy!

https://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg-ex ... en-you-do/

https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... e-viruses/
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

I do not like Antivirus as most installations become worst than the virus you trying to prevent.

I did use clamAV in my past life as a Windows user. As it was simple to use without the taking over my PC. Yes portable clamAV could detect and was up to me to decide what to do with my findings.

Now on Puppy this is one of my future projects. Hoping that clamAV on Linux is as good as was in windows.

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Adding to the considerations Semme referred to:

On each bootup a Frugal Puppy creates anew its operating system from READ-ONLY files (can't be infected) and only one READ-WRITE file, your SAVEFILE/FOLDER. The latter can be set to only Save when manually instructed to do so. And the User can choose only to initiate a Save immediately on bootup before opening any browser (or if it relates to modifying a browser before doing anything else). Hint: download, save the download, reboot, install.

Commonly frequented websites make a effort not to become carriers. If you keep your Web-browsers, wget and OpenSSL up-to-date, and only frequent 'normal' websites, there's little chance of picking up a virus. If you have to 'go fishing in shark invested waters', both firefox and Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome (not portable) can be run as Spot. These honor the limitation that a Web-browser so run only has access to its own folder: no access to the rest of your computer. The worst case scenario is that malware will exist with respect to applications run from the Spot folder until you shutdown. (Obviously, Don't execute a Save).

memo

#8 Post by memo »

@mikeslr
If you keep your Web-browsers, wget and OpenSSL up-to-date, and only frequent 'normal' websites, there's little chance of picking up a virus
wat is wget and openssl and ow to keep them updated, the browsr s not updated , i use slimjet 15, other browsers become very slow and sluggish. I als have palemoon version 27 portable, how to make it run as spot? I use it instead of the newest version as the newest version make it very slow.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

memo

#9 Post by memo »

Semme wrote:Pup runs good? No problems? Fantastic!

Unless warranted, pay virus scanners no mind. Be happy!

https://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg-ex ... en-you-do/

https://www.linux.com/training-tutorial ... e-viruses/
I understand that linux faces less problem than windows, but iy is a handy utillity, even the website you send me advice to use clamAV to scan the email attachments.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

memo

#10 Post by memo »

enrique wrote: Now on Puppy this is one of my future projects. Hoping that clamAV on Linux is as good as was in windows.
Good initatives, thanks in advance, but I am afraid I might need it sooner :)
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Regardless their choice of scanner, I gave you the view from both sides of the fence so you could make an informed decision as to when or in what situation the use of a scanner would be warranted. If they helped ease any residual Windows paranoia, well, all the better.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

perdido

#12 Post by perdido »

perdido wrote: If I find a fully working version I will report back.

Hi memo,
Reporting back
Choose the xenial32 package
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118996

Have fun!

memo

#13 Post by memo »

hi perdido

thanks for the link, I donwnloaded it and it seems that it has no GUI, however the update went smothly using the code you provided. Then I have a roblem scanning using this code

Code: Select all

clamscan --infected --recursive --remove=no /mnt/home --log=/usr/share/clamav/scan.log
it says map allocation failed
critical fmap()failed

however I hear the fan of the processor at full speed, so I guess it do some scanning but I donot know what does this error mean.

thanks for your time and effort :)
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

enrique

#14 Post by enrique »

A quick search reads
On unix platform the fmap_check_empty() function maps the complete file by allocating the memory via mmap() with the write flag on. On systems with not a lot of memory it means that a file can't be scanned. For
instance a 1GiB file on a system with 512MiB of memory.
So it seems to mean that any file that did not fit in to memory is not scanned and gives this error.

Please note also that if you do not have PAE then
will fail on 32bit architectures which try scan a file which is ~2.8GiB. This failed before as well but now we at least not limited by our physical memory.
Also make sure you have a good swap and DO NOT SCAN your PC with other programs running. As this may help keep memory usage low.

perdido

#15 Post by perdido »

memo wrote:hi perdido

thanks for the link, I donwnloaded it and it seems that it has no GUI, however the update went smothly using the code you provided. Then I have a roblem scanning using this code

Code: Select all

clamscan --infected --recursive --remove=no /mnt/home --log=/usr/share/clamav/scan.log
it says map allocation failed
critical fmap()failed

however I hear the fan of the processor at full speed, so I guess it do some scanning but I donot know what does this error mean.

thanks for your time and effort :)
Hi memo,

Clam AV is a command line tool. Some other people make clamtk that has a python menu system GUI but it does not do any more than the command line does. That clamtk GUI is a seperate program.

Your command line worked ok on my xenial32 7.5 system (fresh install) running the clamav-0.102.3_xenial32.pet. My system is showing 4GB of memory on xenial32 7.5
Clam was using 970MB of RAM and used all cpu's (4 cpu machine) running @ 24% to 28% load.

Enrique has the potential answer, system resources could be too low.

If you have a low resource computer you can try an older puppy (puppy wary 5 or maybe precise) that can run the old version of clam that I originally pointed to (the one with the menu)
I do not know if the same resource requirements will be needed for that.
That is only a guess.

Have fun!

memo

#16 Post by memo »

hi perddo,
If you have a low resource computer you can try an older puppy (puppy wary 5 or maybe precise) that can run the old version of clam that I originally pointed to (the one with the menu)
I do not know if the same resource requirements will be needed for that.
That is only a guess.
this could be the case, but it has manydisadvantages like old versions of apps and so on, I tried many actually since some time and the best one so far is xenialpuppy, I Just need to learn how to update the system ssl in the future, it is sad that many distros have ditched the i686 cpus although I understand the reasons. I wonder if we can for instance take a full fast old linux distro like ubuntu 7.5 and link it somehow to the repos of the most current versions so we can enjoy both the speed of the system and the current features of the apps. I think I read it here somewhere in the forum that it is not htat simple and it wont work. so sooner or later all these old mahcines would have no usage ( at least on internet ) where most of our operations are on it. very sad!
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

memo

#17 Post by memo »

enrique wrote:A quick search reads
On unix platform the fmap_check_empty() function maps the complete file by allocating the memory via mmap() with the write flag on. On systems with not a lot of memory it means that a file can't be scanned. For
instance a 1GiB file on a system with 512MiB of memory.
So it seems to mean that any file that did not fit in to memory is not scanned and gives this error.

Please note also that if you do not have PAE then
will fail on 32bit architectures which try scan a file which is ~2.8GiB. This failed before as well but now we at least not limited by our physical memory.
Also make sure you have a good swap and DO NOT SCAN your PC with other programs running. As this may help keep memory usage low.
indeed this could be the reason, it has only 2 gigs of ram.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

mikeslr

#18 Post by mikeslr »

Hi memo,

Updating openssl is pretty much a matter of wishful thinking on my part. The problem is that, unless you're working with a reasonably current operating system, to update openssl requires that you first update its dependencies. And, if I'm not mistaken* among those dependencies is the version of glibc being used. By the time you update the dependencies --if you can-- what you have is essentially the equivalent (in term of resource usage) to the current operating system you could have just downloaded and used.

* About a year ago I looked into updating xenialpup's openssl. I'm pretty sure it was needing to first update glibc in order to use the openssl from bionic beaver's repo. [I don't compile. But if you do, I think you'll run into the same problem: having to first compile the dependencies before you can compile and use the library which depends on them].

Slackware doesn't change things as radically as debian/ubuntu. If you're running a Slacko, you may be able to follow the advice 8Geee gives regarding the Atomicpup (on the Derivatives SubForum) by downloading newer versions of openssl from https://pkgs.org/ along with their dependencies and creating symbolic links as necessary.

Although one of the purposes of openssl is to provide security, the parties which should be most concerned about it are web-sites. You, as an individual, can pretty much lock down your Puppy so that any malware it inadvertently picks up is cleared when you shutdown/reboot. [Remember, your Frugal Puppy OS runs in RAM, which is cleared on shutdown/reboot: only what is Saved to your SaveFile/Folder will be present on you next bootup]. I expect someday --like checking if you have a recent web-browser-- Websites will refuse access if you don't have a recent openssl. Someday :( : but not yet :) . I can still access websites with Slacko 5.7 whose openssl dates to Sep 2012.

memo

#19 Post by memo »

mikeslr wrote:Hi memo,

Updating openssl is pretty much a matter of wishful thinking on my part. The problem is that, unless you're working with a reasonably current operating system, to update openssl requires that you first update its dependencies. And, if I'm not mistaken* among those dependencies is the version of glibc being used. By the time you update the dependencies --if you can-- what you have is essentially the equivalent (in term of resource usage) to the current operating system you could have just downloaded and used.

* About a year ago I looked into updating xenialpup's openssl. I'm pretty sure it was needing to first update glibc in order to use the openssl from bionic beaver's repo. [I don't compile. But if you do, I think you'll run into the same problem: having to first compile the dependencies before you can compile and use the library which depends on them].

Slackware doesn't change things as radically as debian/ubuntu. If you're running a Slacko, you may be able to follow the advice 8Geee gives regarding the Atomicpup (on the Derivatives SubForum) by downloading newer versions of openssl from https://pkgs.org/ along with their dependencies and creating symbolic links as necessary.

Although one of the purposes of openssl is to provide security, the parties which should be most concerned about it are web-sites. You, as an individual, can pretty much lock down your Puppy so that any malware it inadvertently picks up is cleared when you shutdown/reboot. [Remember, your Frugal Puppy OS runs in RAM, which is cleared on shutdown/reboot: only what is Saved to your SaveFile/Folder will be present on you next bootup]. I expect someday --like checking if you have a recent web-browser-- Websites will refuse access if you don't have a recent openssl. Someday :( : but not yet :) . I can still access websites with Slacko 5.7 whose openssl dates to Sep 2012.

thanks, you saved me some extra time. Still, this is annoying, i believe that the majority of the people who going to use linux are the one on the old machines. however, the os of the main distros are heavy and bloated and doesnot even work on these machines with i686 and 32 bits cpus. I thought linux are mainly meant for these machines, otherwise what is the difference, in few yeas these machines will become as well old t run linux.

this happened to me before, manjaro was working just perfect and as fast as a new laptop, then the version after version 15 it refused even to boat, back then, I have tried everything and non worked. now it has dropped 32 bit following arch. debian and ubuntu will do the same. nice that my xenailpuppy is still working and the community here is very helpful.
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#20 Post by Semme »

There's always F-PROT. The engine's dated but she still updates her 93mb's worth of v-defs.