External USB DVD-Writer

Using applications, configuring, problems
goncal

External USB DVD-Writer

#1 Post by goncal »

Hello all

I thought I would share a piece of good news - I bought an external USB DVD writer LG GSA-E40L. It comes with a bundle of Windows software.

Well, before installing any driver, I thought I would try it out on my Puppy 1.0.5 which I installed over a year ago and which thanks to Barry and Rarsa I fine tuned on my Pentium 4 384MB RAM PC.

Well, it worked straight away - XCDRoast and Graveman found the device and happily worked with it - every single parameter worked.

I am actually plugingit into my PCI USB2.0 card.

So that's it - no extra drivers for the USB2 card, no extra drivers for the DVD writer, and it works straight away.

Thanks again to Barry and Rarsa for their support. I hardly ever use Windows any more. I even tried installing Linux (this time Yellowdog) on a Macintosh and it worked (although it did not detect its EtherNet card - Puppy tends to work straight away).

Cheers

Gonçal

PS I have not tried writing DVDs but I do not think it will be a problem.

puppylinuxw

#2 Post by puppylinuxw »

Hi
Im considering to buy this writer too.
Did u try with DVD-RAM too?
The LG is capable writing DVD-RAM as far as i know. (In this case the DVD should be written to like your hard drive)
Would be interesting if u can boot from a DVD-RAM or even make full Puppy hd install (not frugal) on it!

Greetings
Last edited by puppylinuxw on Sat 30 Jun 2007, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3 Post by Béèm »

As far as I understand to write to a DVD udf support and udftools are needed.

Quite some time ago I tried to compile them, but couldn't get it working.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

Hi goncal,

I'm using a Samsung Super Writemaster, Model SE S184 USB DVD writer. It works perfectly with Puppy on my AMD 1700. I've just burnt up 4.6 gigs of jpegs taken at local steam rally. The images are faultless.
A little while back, I even used the DVD drive on an old Pentium 333 with 256 megs of RAM. It was a bit slow but, what the heck - it worked!
I hope this helps. Good luck!

goncal

Dvd etc

#5 Post by goncal »

Hi all

Thanks for all your replies. Yes this particular drive can actually write DVD-RAMs but never thought I would try that until I try writing DVDs first running Puppy - actually suggestions as to which Puppy 1.0.5 software I should use would be very welcome. I already have XCDRoast and Graveman but they do not seem ready for DVDs at least 1.0.5 versions.

Fossil, you mentioned - a steam rally - is that a steam engine rally? Did you post any photos / videos? (I am one of those industrial archaeology guys)

Thanks

Gonçal

BTW I spent over 2 hours installing Windows software for the writer (including LightScribe I must admit which I never intended to use anyway as media are very expensive at about 1.20 eur per single disc)

Fossil

#6 Post by Fossil »

Hi goncal,

In answer to what I used to burn DVD's. I use Puppy's Tk-DVD writer. The USB DVD is recognized as SR0, and it's just a matter of selecting the required folders.

Yes, it was a steam traction rally event. The Lister Tyndale Steam Rally was held in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, in the meadows adjacent to Berkeley Castle. There was a good mixture of many different steam engines, from very large to small. Also, many stationary engines, including the Lister's single cylinder; anyone else remember them? Tractors, heavy goods vehicles, military vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles all put in an appearance. It was a good family day out.
Hopefully, once I've got all the pictures sorted - well over 800 - I hope to register an appropriate domain and place them onto the web. It's a lot of work! Anyway, here's a small 'taster' of the event.
For more information here is the official website:
http://www.lister-tyndale-steam-rally.co.uk/

I tried accessing the Puppy Linux Photo Gallery to upload the images there, but received: "Invalid username or password". Obviously, I'm using the correct one! Hmm, curious!

Enjoy!

goncal

TkDVD, Rally etc

#7 Post by goncal »

Hi Fossil I was born in the wrong place they keep telling me, I love most English stuff like most English literature and very especially those old amazing machines which started moving things around as everywhere else just animal power was being used. Thank you so much for the photos they are fantastic. (I loved the Black Country Living Museum, the Ironbridge multi-museum site, and the Durham one which I forget the name of)

Re TkDVD thanks also for the info, actually it is installed on my Puppy 1.0.5 system but looked sort of full of bizarre parameters I never even took the time to look at. On my "Drives" screen my DVD writer does show up as 'sr0' so it is bound to work. I will give it a try and let you know.

Cheers Gonçal