Install 3.01 Problems - Need advice and help on USB and wifi

Booting, installing, newbie
castalla2007

Install 3.01 Problems - Need advice and help on USB and wifi

#1 Post by castalla2007 »

Puppy looks good but I'm frustrated (growl)!

I tried the USB install. It keeps telling me that the USB is a superfloppy without MBR. Formatted as FAT - no boot success. Tried ext3 - no boot.
This is despite the wizard copies all the files and seems to suggest all is okay. What do I need to do?

Tried the wifi setup wizard. It sees Eth0 as the wifi (Broadcom). One of the tests (forget which) finds the network. When I try to set up autoconnect and I select WPA it asks for the shared key - I enter the VALID key (works for Vista and for a wifi radio) - then I get a message saying it must be alphanumeric or hexadecimal - it's alpha, and it works with other devices!

Basically, I'm goosed! I'd really like to get this solved.

I'm a noob so please be non-tech and specific. Thanks!
rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Regarding your flash drive: If you have not already done so, plug it in and run the Gparted partition manager program. It will tell you if the file structure on the drive is OK. Since you are having trouble with the Universal Installer, you might want to try a manual install using the GRUB bootloader. Go to the following link and download the multiboot attachment. The enclosed readme file has instructions for making a bootable flash drive.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950
castalla2007

USB boot

#3 Post by castalla2007 »

Well - I ran gparted - it says the usb is /dev/sdb1 - has the boot flag.

As far as I can see the install copies the CD files and the config file when I quit Puppy.

When I try to boot all I see is a colon prompt.

I've booted ubuntu from the usb - so the PC sees the USB to boot from.

I'm mystified especially as I don't get any error messages.
HairyWill

Re: Install 3.01 Problems - Need advice and help on USB and

#4 Post by HairyWill »

castalla2007 wrote:I tried the USB install. It keeps telling me that the USB is a superfloppy without MBR.
I think that is just one of the install options it should have a puppy button next to it. There is also a puppy button above that to do an install with an MBR which is probably what you want.
castalla2007

USB problem

#5 Post by castalla2007 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try it again - although I'm pretty certain I already tried that. Will update this thread later. I played with the live CD and I really like Puppy so I'd like to get it working!

Update: tried just about every combination of Gparted and install. Gparted reports FAT16 partition on /dev/sdb1 with boot flag.

Install seems to work fine - the usb light flashes as files are copied (screen reports normal messages, eg. making usb bootable, etc.).
NO errors.

When I reboot I just get a COLON - nothing else

In Vista when I try to lok at the usb - it just says to format it to make it usable.

Any more ideas?
castalla2007

Curiouser and curiouser ....

#6 Post by castalla2007 »

Right - I tried an earlier version (2.17) - same outcome. The installer reports that the USB has Puppy installed on one partition - same choices ... install or use Gparted. If I try to look at the USB (via the usb icon on desktop) it lists /dev/sdb, but reports error when I try to view the drive.

Is there a solution to this? Beginning to doubt it ... looks like anotheer Windows refugee is refused asylum in Linuxland!