Selecting Puppy menu Grub file instead of another

Booting, installing, newbie
setecio

Selecting Puppy menu Grub file instead of another

#1 Post by setecio »

Hi

I installed DSL to another partition (hda3) and it changed the GRUB to point to its own. I can still see the Puppy menu file that I want to use on Puppy's partition (hda1) .

Is there an easy way I can change back the boot pointer to point to Puppy's GRUB menu file instead of DSL's GRUB menu ?

Thanks.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

You have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (on your boot partition - maybe hda1?). Just move the entry for Puppy to be the first in the menu list. Remember to backup the original menu.lst ... just in case :wink:

setecio

#3 Post by setecio »

Thanks zigbert but DSL had written a new Grub to the MBR

I managed to point it back.

Booted up from a PUppy live CD using pfix=ram
Mounted partition hda1 and moved the menu.lst file into another folder.
Then used Menu - utility - Grub bootloader config to setup a new grub on hda1
Then deleted the new menu.lst and moved back the old one.
Then mounted hda3 and copied the DSL boot commands from the grub it setup into the hda1 menu.lst

:)

setecio

#4 Post by setecio »

For future reference, is there a way of editing what grub puts on the MBR.

It must have indicated to look on hda3 for the menu.lst (fwhich DSL created), whereas if i could have made it look on hda1 instead that would have been the simple solution.

Is there an editable file on the MBR ? If so how do I access it.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

I installed DSL to another partition (hda3) and it changed the GRUB to point to its own. I can still see the Puppy menu file that I want to use on Puppy's partition (hda1) .
Easy is to copy and paste the needed hda1 menu.lst entries the new hda3 list.

Another easy method is to re-run Puppy's grub installer

Another easy way is to restore the previous MBR, if DSL saved it, easy, but I've had limited success.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm has a free mbr tool for uber geeks
Is there an easy way I can change back the boot pointer to point to Puppy's GRUB menu file instead of DSL's GRUB menu ?
rcrsn51, if he reads this will likely tell you a couple easy commands to run

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Go here and get the "grub-install" tutorial.

Your understanding of the situation is correct. When DSL installed GRUB, it rewrote the stage1 code on the MBR to point to its own stage2 files in /boot/grub of hda3.

As Bruce B said above, the simplest thing would have been to add the Puppy entry to DSL's menu.lst on hda3. However, if you then decided to delete your DSL install, your computer would no longer boot, having destroyed the stage2 files.

setecio

#7 Post by setecio »

ok thanks for the info.