Is there a LaTeX for Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jannetta

Is there a LaTeX for Puppy?

#1 Post by jannetta »

Hi folks

I've left this a bit late, so I won't waste any more time on excuses. I'm leaving to go on holiday next week, but I have to carry on working on my dissertation while away. I couple of days ago I decided to use Puppy on my laptop because it works so well, and everything is just QUICK to do.

Now I need LaTeX or else I'll have to boot into M$ or Ubuntu everytime I want to work on it and if I can avoid that it would be great!

I spotted some threads but most of the links were dead and for the rest I couldn't quite make out what the status was or wasn't of the stuff being worked on.

So the question. Is there a LaTeX package available ready for installation on Puppy. If so where? And, how ?

Any help is appreciated.
Kind Regards
Jannetta

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

EDIT - darn. No, sorry, you're right and it looks like all the links have expired in the last monst.
Sorry.
Maybe PM someone and ask if they can reupload?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

jannetta

#3 Post by jannetta »

Am I missing something? All the links I have followed to that sfs from that forum are dead or expired:

expired:
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.asp ... 68dc037020

have no idea what this is:
http://files.filefront.com/tex+400sfs/;10808577;/f

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

jannetta

#5 Post by jannetta »

Hi Dingo

Many thanks. Got it! Now for the next stupid question. Can you please point me in the direction of instructions for using an sfs file. (My Puppy experience is now about 2 days old).

Regards
Jannetta

jannetta

#6 Post by jannetta »

Oh don't worry, I found TFM (and read it) !! :oops:

algol1958

#7 Post by algol1958 »

hi jannetta,
what's TFM?
I'm downloading the tex_400.sfs. and then?
thanks for the help.
jm

vanchutr

#8 Post by vanchutr »

tsar

#9 Post by tsar »

Hello All.
I started using Puppy about a few hours ago. I am using puppy 4.30.
Now the tex_400.sfs found on the net is an old package. I used the package convertor found in the utility menu and converted it to sf4.sfs package.
This package "mounts". But I do not know what that means as when i type latex on the terminal, it gives me an error saying that Latex command not found.
Also, the boot manager does not recognise this as well.
Please help me someone. I am an engineering student and all my work is in Latex. How do I get this package working and how do I work with it?
Thanking the replier in anticipation

Dingo

#10 Post by Dingo »

tsar wrote:Hello All.
I started using Puppy about a few hours ago. I am using puppy 4.30.
Now the tex_400.sfs found on the net is an old package. I used the package convertor found in the utility menu and converted it to sf4.sfs package.
This package "mounts". But I do not know what that means as when i type latex on the terminal, it gives me an error saying that Latex command not found.
Also, the boot manager does not recognise this as well.
Please help me someone. I am an engineering student and all my work is in Latex. How do I get this package working and how do I work with it?
Thanking the replier in anticipation
You need to add Latex path to executable paths in

/root/.bashrc

adding these lines

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux
export PATH

after doing this you will type in console

updmap
dropbox 2GB free

tsar

#11 Post by tsar »

it gives me an error that
udpmap:command not found

Dingo

#12 Post by Dingo »

Have you settled the path?

- try to restart X server and then run

texhash

followed by updmap
dropbox 2GB free

tsar

#13 Post by tsar »

I tried restarting the machine.

And I don't seem to understand settle the path.
What i do is mount tex_400-sf4.sfs and copied the path you gave me in the .bashrc file
But it shows that texhash: command not found.
I think i am typing it at a wrong place.
I am typing my commands at rxvt. And do you need anything called sudo user or anything.
Thanks again for a prompt reply.

Dingo

#14 Post by Dingo »

When I type texhash in my Puppy + TeX_module, this is output

# which texhash
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/texhash

So, you have two choices:

or set the path in /etc/profile

or download Puppy 4
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy/

and using tex module with this version (I have this version and TeX environment is fully working)
dropbox 2GB free

kruwi

#15 Post by kruwi »

I have experienced exactly the same problem as tsar has.

Using puppy linux v. 4.31.

I have added "/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux" to my PATH, BUT if I actually check the contents of this directory, there are many files, but no TEXHASH, no LATEX! TEX ist there, pdftex also. Trying to compile some .tex files always leads to errors because certain files are not found (prominent examples: LATEX and PDFLATEX). Typing "latex" in the terminal (of course) leads to "command not found" ... as it is NOT there!

Why does that happen? I used to have no problems with Puppy 4.01, but going back is not a choice for me as the hardware (wifi etc.) of my new laptop, the Asus EEE 1005ha, needs puppy 4.31 and its 2.6.30 kernel to be fully functional.

Taavi

#16 Post by Taavi »

Have you renamed the sfs files to match your version of Puppy? Have you choosed with boot manager the sfs files to be loaded at start up?

I had sometimes problems getting the sfs files loaded correct. I resolved my problems by renamig the sfs files so that I removed the Puppy version number part from the names and choosing then the files to be loaded in boot manager. For example I have here a file called texlive2008.sfs, wich is choosed to be loaded in boot manager.

kruwi

#17 Post by kruwi »

Yes, I have renamed the "tex_live.400.sfs".

The first thing I had done was to change the file's format into sfs4 using puppy's bulit in utility. After that the boot manager would still not recognize the sfs-file. So I renamed it to something like "tex_live431.sfs4.sfs" (or similar). As a result I was finally able to add the using the bootmanager so that it is being mounted at start-up-time. I have also added the bin-directory to the PATH-Variable.

BUT taking a look inside the "bin-directory" reveals: There is no LATEX, no PDFLATEX and no TEXHASH! The directory isn't empty, though, many other files are actually there (pdftex, tex, texconfig ...). Probably some other files might be missing, too, but these are the most prominent ... leading to complete uselessness of the latex system.

Is it possible that converting the sfs file to version 4 (4sfs) has screwed things up? I don't have any clues.

Taavi

#18 Post by Taavi »

I have today made sfs file from texlive2009. It is huge, nearly 2gb as I didn't take anything out of it. It works just fine. If you want to try here is what I have done:

- downloaded the iso file from here: http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-iso.html
it is enormous takes hours to download

- from the same page I dowloaded xz binaries - file named xzdec.i386-linux. I put it in /root/my-applications/bin renamed it to xzdec and made it executable

- as the iso file had finally downloaded completely I went to the directory where it was and run from commandline xzdec <texlive2009.iso.xz >texlive2009.iso
this take awhile too

- then I made a directory texlive2009/usr/local/texlive/2009

- mounted unpacked texlive iso file by clicking it

- copied all files from texlive iso to my new texlive2009/usr/local/texlive/2009 directory
and this takes of course time too

- from commandline ran dir2sfs texlive2009
and again this takes time

- put new sfs in /mnt/home and choosed it in boot manager

- in /etc/profile.local I put this: export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/2009/bin/i386-linux"

- restarted

- as I have my local texmf files out side of texlive I made a change in /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf like this:
%TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local
TEXMFLOCAL=/path/to/my/own/texmf

- ran texhash and updmap and it works

There are files you can remove to make sfs file smaller for example in the bin directory and in texmf-dist/doc directory.

didik

#19 Post by didik »

Have you try this? Another texlive sfs with lyx & its dependencies.

Sit Heel Speak

tex and latex

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

To get the very latest tex+latex, full version with all capabilities (you will need about 2 GB of free diskspace or space in your pup_save):

Go to
http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

Download install-tl-unx.tar.gz to /tmp, then left-click

Menu->Filesystem->Rox-Filer->left-click-Up-arrow->left-click tmp

left-click on install-tl-unx.tar.gz

choose Action Extract, go with the defaults. This will unpack install-tl-unx.tar.gz to a new directory in /tmp, named something like install-tl-20101114.

In your Rox window on /tmp, left-click on this new directory to enter it. Press the ` (tilde) key to start a console window, left-click the maximize square at upper right title bar of the console window to make it big, and issue:

Code: Select all

./install-tl
***note: on some newer Puppies, perl-5.8.8 does not have all that is required in order to install Tex. If install-tl fails with a message that it can't find base.pm or MD5.sum, then change Puppy's perl symlink to point to a newer perl, thusly:

Menu->Utility->rxvt (or "Console") and at the prompt issue (2nd note: look in /usr/bin first and see if Puppy is still using perl5.10.1; if we have upgraded to a newer perl then adjust the below instructions accordingly):

Code: Select all

cd /usr/bin
mv -f perl perl-original-symlink-to-5.8.8
ln -s perl5.10.1 perl
and then try install-tl again.***

If you start install-tl and get no error message and yet still nothing happens, wait fifteen minutes. Sometimes install-tl takes awhile to find a nearby Tex mirror.

When the TexLive installation menu appears, Key the B, S, C, L, and O options first, to select language, A4 or letter paper, et cetera. Finally, press I. Now the installer program downloads and installs full texlive 2010 automatically. On a 512kbps connection, it takes about 11 hours. During the first 10 hours it shows you much higher estimates of how long it will take to finish, but toward the end it relents and starts showing 13, 12, 11 hours total time needed to download.

After the automatic install of TexLive is finished, edit /etc/profile (or ~/.bashrc) to adjust the PATH, INFOPATH, and MANPATH environment variables as instructed by the notification at the conclusion of the install.