How to get Puppy 4.00 to detect softmodem when booting

Using applications, configuring, problems
Irihapeti

#1 Post by Irihapeti »

Greetings, fellow Puppians

My softmodem port is /dev/ttySHFS0, and Puppies 2.17 and 3.01 detect this automatically on bootup. Puppy 4.00 does not. However, when I do the modem probe from Pupdial, it finds it with no trouble.

I'm guessing that a config file just needs a little tweaking. Which one, and how?

Thanks
Irihapeti

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

hi Irahapeti

best I can suggest is you use one of the puppy versions which will boot the modem, then locate /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
I think it is, where you should see your modem configuration ttySHFS0

save it to my documents or a usb key, so that you can copy it to the puppy which doesn't boot the modem

hope that helps

Failing that pm richard [rerwin] as he's good at modems

Aitch

Irihapeti

#3 Post by Irihapeti »

I've found a solution.

I added the following line to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

Code: Select all

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Now Pupdial is ready to dial straight away when I open it.

Irihapeti

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

the trouble with you is;

you're getting too clever

Mihimihi next?

Aitch

Irihapeti

#5 Post by Irihapeti »

Aitch:

Too clever for what?

Or would you rather I was "blonde"?

From a distance, I look a bit like that, but actually it's the colouration that comes with advancing age. :)

Irihapeti

Aitch

#6 Post by Aitch »

aw come on....

leg pulling!

I'm a bit discoloured myself, so no worries

Aitch

Irihapeti

#7 Post by Irihapeti »

Yes, Aitch, I knew you were leg-pulling. I think I was just a bit too cryptic in my reply.

Or maybe the "mature blondeness" also brings with it a lessening of the powers of witty reply. Your choice which one.

When I was a kid, I drove my parents mad (especially my conservative mother) trying to find out how things worked. Females just weren't supposed to do that, you know.

Those days are gone, and I for one am not crying. Now what's my next bit of cleverness going to be?

I don't know, but it's all tremendous fun.

Irihapeti

Aitch

#8 Post by Aitch »

When I was 7 or 8 I had a female friend who was every bit as inquisitive as me about how things worked, & she helped me take motorbikes to pieces as well as build boxcarts & crystal set radios - great fun,
......... then puberty came along and changed the focus :wink:

I think it's a huge shame that females don't express their curiosity in toys as much to young girls, as the technophobe female seems to be on the increase apart from phones/texting and ipods for noise/videos, and puberty still intervenes :lol:

So now it's dangerous for a guy to even consider trying to teach girls, as there are too many twisted minds, so matured women are going to have to step up

It's all perfectly normal, I say, & where the heck would we be, if we weren't curious? regardless of our gender!

Aitch

PS: I'm glad your leg didn't come off in my hand :lol:

FrankA

softmodem works nicely

#9 Post by FrankA »

I just wanted to report success with auto detection of softmodem in Puppy 4.0

Actually I still don't know exactly which modem chip it is, but it works with the slmodemd driver its got to be some smartmodem.

it probably sits on the VIA chipset audio bus or sth. on a mitac laptop. It probably is not mini-pci or serial port attached.

yet it works nicely with picocom wvdial and all. great modem detection script in Puppy 4 !

Py

#10 Post by Py »

Irihapeti wrote:I've found a solution.

I added the following line to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

Code: Select all

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Now Pupdial is ready to dial straight away when I open it.

Irihapeti
Hi Irihapeti. Does "ready to dial straight away" mean you get online automatically at bootup or that you have to 'do something' after the desktop appears in order to connect?

Irihapeti

#11 Post by Irihapeti »

Py;
I have to click on the "Connect" icon after the desktop appears, and then click on the "connect to the internet" button.

Previously, when I clicked on the "Connect" icon, the software would tell me that no modem was found.

Irihapeti

FrankA

#12 Post by FrankA »

Irihapeti wrote:My softmodem port is /dev/ttySHFS0, and Puppies 2.17 and 3.01 detect this automatically on bootup. Puppy 4.00 does not. However, when I do the modem probe from Pupdial, it finds it with no trouble.

I think, puppy 4.0 was rather good at modem detection. it found my ttySL0 automagically no prob. (unless one deactivated serial probing at boot).

the same machine with 4.3.1 was harder, but I knew it was possible. I had to blacklist the autoloaded HSF modem drivers, then all was fine again.

scanModem.sh was very helpful here.

this is a very performant & reliable modem. the Delphi D40 is somewhat unstable and keeps writing stuff into /var/log/messages