Icewm and customized menus

Using applications, configuring, problems
ArnaudN

Icewm and customized menus

#1 Post by ArnaudN »

Hi everyone,

I currently build my own puppy, based on dingo 4.11.

Modifications:
- Removed Seamonkey
- Added Firepup
- Added Claws mail
- Added Icewm
- Added wbar
- Added partimage
- Added vlc
- Added puppy 215 CE icons
- Added/removed backgrounds
- Will add dosbox and a few swf games

You can see what it looks like !

I customized the menus (add "partimage" and remove "seamonkey" as browser and as mail client) by editing the menu file in .icewm.
Problem is that the partimage entry regularly disappears, while seamonkey reappears !!
Is there a default menu reference somewhere I would need to modify to keep my modifications ?

Thx in advance.
ArnaudN
Attachments
mynewdesktop_.jpg
(41.81 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Menu items are generated from the files in /usr/share/applications/. Use those as templates to create new entries, and delete/move/rename_extension of existing files to disable them. Technically I think the XDG specification provides an option called "visible" or some-such to turn them off, but I don't recall if Puppy implements that. I'm pretty sure we just use a small basic subset of the full system.

If you want to rearrange the overall structure of the menu, you need to edit the files at /etc/xdg/templates, /etc/xdg/menus, and maybe /usr/share/desktop-directories, depending on what things you want to modify.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ArnaudN

#3 Post by ArnaudN »

Thx Pizzasgood

I actually created partimage.desktop in /usr/share/applications, containing:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Partimage
Icon=mini-diskette.xpm
Comment=Partition backup and restore
Exec=rxvt -font 7x14 -bg "#c0c0c0" -fg black -T Partimage -n Partimage -e partimage
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-SystemMemory
GenericName=Partimage
and then the menu entry is always there.

ArnaudN

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Pizzasgood wrote:Menu items are generated from the files in /usr/share/applications/.
That is kind of obscure, but explains why menu icons were not sticking when I edited them. Editing them in the above folder seems to make them stick. Thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Eyes-Only

#5 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi ArnaudN!

That is definitely one very neat wallpaper that you're using for your desktop screenshot! Would you be able to post a link so as to share that? I think my grandson and I would really enjoy using that for our desktops as well!! :D

That is... if it wouldn't be of too much trouble for you? If it's a problem to find a hoster for the image you can email it to me directly to my provided email link. Either way. We'd truly appreciate it!

Merci mille fois!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only

"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*