Compiz & the Asus Eee 900A

Using applications, configuring, problems
horseman

Compiz & the Asus Eee 900A

#1 Post by horseman »

Has anyone gotten Compiz or even direct rendering working properly with the 900A? I've tried ripple and the guide here on the forums and X gets broken each time.

Thank you for your time!

gmdfunk

#2 Post by gmdfunk »

I have also been trying to get dri and gl running on the 900a and am running into a wall so I am going to bump this and hope for help

Indras

#3 Post by Indras »

Add me to the list. I have a 900A with a 4GB SSD HD, 1Gb RAM, and 1024x600 screen. Compiz doesn't work because for some reason it won't allow 24 bit color at any resolution on this laptop. I assume that the intel video is implemented differently on the Atom versions of the Eee than the Celeron ones.

I was hoping that Dinky over in the Ripple forums would eventually get this working, but he quit.

Sinner

#4 Post by Sinner »

wouldn't compiz kill the battery quicker? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a netbook?

Indras

#5 Post by Indras »

The purpose of a netbook over a notebook is increased portability, not increased battery life. Frankly, the battery life with the factory standard battery is really not that impressive. I get about 4 hours while idle, 2 hours during heavy use (gaming, etc). Many full sized notebooks have this capability. However, the eee is far smaller, lighter, and easier to carry.