Full Install Grub Presents Prompt Instead of Menu

Using applications, configuring, problems
LaneLester

Full Install Grub Presents Prompt Instead of Menu

#1 Post by LaneLester »

I just installed Lighthouse 3.01 on an old laptop (won't run newer kernels) I did a full install on /dev/hda7 so that I could install grub, which I need for multiple booting. But when I boot, the grub prompt is presented rather than the menu of OSes.

The web is full of complaints of this problem with a zillion solutions offered. Since this is Puppy, I hope someone here can point to the fix.

At the grub prompt when I first start the computer, if I type "root" I get "(hd0,6): Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83" which seems correct. When I type "configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst" I get "Error 2: Bad file or directory type". If I type any part of that path, including "/", I get the same error.

In the Lighthouse Live CD session, I mounted hda7, the full install files are there, and I edited menu.lst to add a stanza for a frugal install of Lighthouse.

Lane

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What tool did you use to partition/format the laptop's hard drive?

Read here for info about GRUB Error 2 and 256 byte inodes.

LaneLester

#3 Post by LaneLester »

Yes, it was the inode problem. Thank you very much... I wish I had posted sooner rather than spending a couple of hours trying other things. :?

Lane