Some questions re: Linux and Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
diefenbaker

Some questions re: Linux and Puppy

#1 Post by diefenbaker »

Hi everybody! As you've read from the title, I've only spent about 100+ hours in the Linux environment, mainly Ubuntu/Debian distros, learning.

I have an Acer Aspire One 150 and since puppy 4.31.1 is a very appropriate size and weight for this computer, I've decided to stick with this one for a while.

I've had a few problems so far:

On a frugal install to #!Crunchbang ext3 folder, I couldn't get the sound to work even with the suggestion I found on the puppy forums.

I decided to do a full install after reformatting the #! partition and couldn't get the sound or wireless working. I tried again, making sure the liveUSB had everything working before the install and everything worked fine!

Currently, I have two small problems:

Some windows open beyond the bottom panel and I don't know how to resize them. Is there a config file somewhere?

The other problem is with installing packages. They seem to install fine but they don't show up in the menu. The last package I installed was icewm but it didn't show up in the Desktop menu. I exited to the command prompt an ran xwin icwm but JWM came up instead. Any suggestions?

CiaW

#2 Post by CiaW »

I believe I read on some other forums that 4.31 wasn't a 'final release' -- you might want to try the official 4.3 release? I know on my ibm thinkpad 600x, I couldn't get wireless (broadcom 4318) working under 4.21 except using slaxer pup; but under 4.3 it worked just fine yesterday when I used it -- even though I had to use the acpi=force option to get it to boot.

On the issue of the screen going past the bottom of your monitor; I had the same issue on my desktop pc with 1440x900 resolution; I didn't look very hard for a fix, but you can right click on the desktop to bring up a menu. It's probably something to do with the xorg.conf file; but like I said I didn't work very hard to fix it because when I boot to Puppy it'll mostly be on my laptop. Resolution is fine for me on there.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

It's not a question of whether it's final, but a question of whether it's official. Barry hasn't even started working on the official 4.31, so I guess what you have is the unofficial release Ttuuxxx made.
They seem to install fine but they don't show up in the menu.
Like it says when you install them, you need to restart jwm for them to show up in the menu. You can do this from the shutdown menu.
Other window managers might not have menu entries though, so you have to do what you describe, which would normally work, although I think most people run `xwin icewm-session` or something. I don't know why it didn't work for you - try running `which icewm`, then go where it tells you icewm is, to see what it is. Maybe it is a link to jwm or something weird.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

Some windows open beyond the bottom panel and I don't know how to resize them. Is there a config file somewhere?
You can resize them by right-clicking on their title-bar or their button on the panel. But I normally find it convenient to maximize them, then I can resize them by dragging the border.
You can get specific programs to always open a certain size - see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 94&t=43725
Also see my post here for different ways to move windows:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 194#302593
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

paulh177

#5 Post by paulh177 »

deleted because I didn;t read the original post properly
Last edited by paulh177 on Tue 06 Oct 2009, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

Re: Some questions re: Linux and Puppy

#6 Post by ttuuxxx »

diefenbaker wrote:Hi everybody! As you've read from the title, I've only spent about 100+ hours in the Linux environment, mainly Ubuntu/Debian distros, learning.

I have an Acer Aspire One 150 and since puppy 4.31.1 is a very appropriate size and weight for this computer, I've decided to stick with this one for a while.

I've had a few problems so far:

On a frugal install to #!Crunchbang ext3 folder, I couldn't get the sound to work even with the suggestion I found on the puppy forums.

I decided to do a full install after reformatting the #! partition and couldn't get the sound or wireless working. I tried again, making sure the liveUSB had everything working before the install and everything worked fine!

Currently, I have two small problems:

The other problem is with installing packages. They seem to install fine but they don't show up in the menu. The last package I installed was icewm but it didn't show up in the Desktop menu. I exited to the command prompt an ran xwin icwm but JWM came up instead. Any suggestions?
You should post your sound issue in the Official 430 bug post, I did not touch the installer, or alsa, or ffmpeg, or gxine, or the kernel. So if you have a sound issue I'm 100% sure your'll have it in the Official 430 release also. So Barry should be informed so he can make fixes.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

raffy

#7 Post by raffy »

4.3.1 will address many of those issues. Start reading from here and upwards about 4.3.1.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

diefenbaker

#8 Post by diefenbaker »

Thanks for all the quick replies! I will definitely try all the suggestions posted so far.

What I'm calling version 4.31.1 is actually a puplet created by ttuuxxx a few weeks ago, in case there's any confusion about what I'm currently using. I had 4.30 installed initially, but I went to the puplet because it has firefox pre-installed.

As for the sound driver problem, I will do a little more experimentation with the frugal install on the crunchbang partition, probably with ext2 filesystem as well. 4.31.1 (or 4.30) doesn't see pupsave on an ext4 filesystem, and I don't think crunchbang has been updated to ext4 yet either. Not that it matters--there will be very little difference in speed by changing to ext4 on my system for my purposes.

Right clicking on the titlebar to resize works on windows that give the resize option, but some applications don't give me the option.

I'm sure I will be reading alot from Barry's blog and I will continue to experiment with the package manager to see if I can get it working properly. When I'm sure it's a bug I'll post it in the bug section so I'm not wasting anyone's time.

Thanks again and I hope I can be a help in some small way to make Puppy even better.

[MOB]Trip

#9 Post by [MOB]Trip »

i cant help u with much. but if u install something like a icevm, then u must restart x or restart puppy, it should say that, or i assume ur smart enuff to do that. If they dont work, they might just not work at all, or try checking ur xerrors log in root/tmp/xerrs, if something goes wrong with anything, thats where it gives u a clue as to why. Good luck and enjoy pup.
[img]http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab63/Prezzle/triptest.gif[/img]
[img]http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii476/Mazine999/mobbu7.gif[/img]