NtEd 1.4.15 music editor (successor to NoteEdit) (2.14MB)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
pa_mcclamrock

NtEd 1.4.15 music editor (successor to NoteEdit) (2.14MB)

#1 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

NtEd 1.4.15 music editor (successor to NoteEdit) (EDITED 2009 Feb 25--new download site: http://puppylinux.asia/members/pa_mccla ... 1.4.15.pet):

For anyone who remembers NoteEdit, NtEd is the improved successor, written by the same author. It works pretty much like NoteEdit as far as composing and editing music, importing and exporting MIDI and other file formats, etc.. Unlike NoteEdit, though, NtEd is a WYSIWYG "music processor"; it produces pages on the screen that are identical to what you can export to PostScript/PDF, print on paper, etc.

Plus, if you have TiMidity++ installed and your sound properly configured, you can easily play any music that appears in an NtEd score, including one imported from a MIDI file (NtEd does the import pretty quickly, and often pretty well). All you need to do is, first, run this from the command line:

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &

Then, under the "Configure -> Configure MIDI" menu item in NtEd, select one of the listed TiMidity MIDI ports, and away you go! If you don't believe it, there are a number of example scores that should convince you. No more frustration with wretched MIDI sequencers that don't work (such as I endured for years on Mandriva Linux using Rosegarden, NoteEdit, etc.)!

This .PET package is derived from a Slackware package that didn't include the many little graphics for the HTML documentation, so I got the graphics from the source tarball and included them. You may not see the documentation under the "Help" menu, but it will be there, beginning at /usr/doc/nted-1.4.15/nted/en/index.html .

I was pleasantly surprised to find that, although the package lists numerous dependencies, NtEd somehow found them all in my not-drastically-modified Puppy 4.1.1, installed promptly, and started right up. If you're a MIDI musician, I hope it will for you too!

David McClamrock
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Wed 25 Feb 2009, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Dingo

#2 Post by Dingo »

mirrored and linked on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... omposition

In windows, I was using

*Anvil studio*
- http://www.anvilstudio.com

to make my MIDIs, I will try ntedit
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

pa_mcclamrock

#3 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

Dingo wrote:In windows, I was using *Anvil studio* - http://www.anvilstudio.com to make my MIDIs, I will try ntedit
Let me know how it works for you--and let the author know too!

David McClamrock

showdownmetal

#4 Post by showdownmetal »

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1| -s 44100 &

that line is giving me this error.

bash: -s: command not found
[1] 8688
# Terminated sig=0x0d

[1]+ Exit 127 timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1 | -s 44100
#
#

what does that mean? and how do i get this to work? thanks!

pa_mcclamrock

#5 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

showdownmetal wrote:timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1| -s 44100 &

that line is giving me this error.

bash: -s: command not found
[1] 8688
# Terminated sig=0x0d

[1]+ Exit 127 timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1 | -s 44100
#
#

what does that mean? and how do i get this to work? thanks!
It means that, in the font you're using to display the messages in this thread, it's very hard to tell the difference between a lower-case L ("l") and a pipe symbol ("|")--so you quite understandably mistook a lower-case L for a pipe symbol. (Dreadfully poor form for programmers to create codes with lower-case L's in them, but they went and did it anyway.) Read the portion of the code starting with "-O" out loud as "OH ESS ONE ELL," not "OH ESS ONE PIPE," and you'll see what to do. Let me know if any other problems pop up!
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

capoverde

#6 Post by capoverde »

Testing NTED.pet right now, works easily along with Timidity on Puppy 3.01 --> 4.2.

Much faster and simpler to set up than MuseScore, though less flexible in detailed page layout (e.g., text fonts). Slows down Timidity quite a bit, sadly; anyway many thanks David and all helpful hands, one more nice app for musical Puppians. :)

@ Dingo: ever tried Jazz++ under Win? Somewhere in the Web there's still JazzNT, freeware, working in WinXP as well as 98 & ME.
No score, but powerful MIDI editing -- my favorite MIDI sequencer, stable and fast; hope one day we'll have it also in Puppy, was reportedly being developed further as Open Source.

synth

#7 Post by synth »

FYI, NtEd has been updated to 1.5.0

and here's the 'real' successor of NoteEdit:
http://canorus.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

(.DEB package and Windows .exe available for download)

pa_mcclamrock

#8 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

synth wrote:FYI, NtEd has been updated to 1.5.0
Thanks! Got the 1.5.0 Slackware package--I'll try to get a chance to turn it into a .PET soon.
and here's the 'real' successor of NoteEdit:
"Warning: Canorus is still beta-software and is not usable for serious work!" says that page. I'll check again later--thanks anyway.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

capoverde

#9 Post by capoverde »

Testing NtEd 1.5.0 on Puppy 4.1.3, really good! See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 324#296324

** EDITED: A note about Timidity -- There are (at least) two versions of this program available for Puppy: one is listed in the Puppy 2 repo as "timidity-2.13.0" and has been compiled without the Alsa server option enabled, so it won't work with NtEd (or any other MIDI sequencer) giving the command described in the first post of this thread.
The other one has been compiled with this option enabled but with no gtk interface, it is named "TiMidity++-2.13.0" and will work to this purpose. Other possible uses and its download location are described by Pizzasgood here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 018#225018

charlie6

#10 Post by charlie6 »

Hi
pa_mcclamrock wrote:
synth wrote:FYI, NtEd has been updated to 1.5.0
Thanks! Got the 1.5.0 Slackware package--I'll try to get a chance to turn it into a .PET soon.
On puppy 4.13, I also ( thanks Capoverde !) have just copied the Slackware nted-1.5.0-i686-1jsc.tgz (and not ...oups ! the source nted-1.5.10.tar.gz !!) under / and click on it ...it got nice installed at once ! (and in french....as, I presume, I had selected belgian fr keyboard upon puppy413 installation setup).
---------------------------------------------
UPDATED 9.6.2009
Just one question:
How to get "Midi Through" midi setup? I also encounter that midi interface on Wine (opening winecfg/audio). Wher to find its lib or what else?

I found that "Midi Through" has nothing to do with midi playback - so my question was rather irrelevant. As a newbie I would have rather search a bit more before posting...Sorry
---------------------------------------------

NtEd looks lighter and faster than Musescore - it also allows export to Lilypond if one wishes a better print rendering - I have read some Lilyponders to use NtEd (or maybe NoteEdit as a pseudo-GUI for Lilypond - another pseudo-GUI is using LilpondTool which requires installing JAVA through jre-1.x.xx. pet plus jEdit ; or jre-1.6.10+jEdit.sfs - I did this last one thanks to Mark Ulrich's .sfs combination - thanks again to him - see somewhere in this forum)

Thanks for answer !

Have fun playing or singing the music !
Charlie

capoverde

#11 Post by capoverde »

Synth wrote:and here's the 'real' successor of NoteEdit:

Tried Canorus with Upup Alpha9 yesterday, installing a Debian package. Seemed a relatively small package (3.16MB), *but* it needs Python -- another 16MB.

With some luck, Canorus finally started (without sound, for the moment; oh well).
Seemed nice, but:

- MIDIFiles wouldn't load;
- couldn't find the way to set two or more quavers under the same beam;
- couldn't see the overall page layout, with title etc;
- couldn't export to PDF, Lilypond being needed for that (another lot of Mb...)
- the docs are "spartan" to say the least.

Couldn't help thinking that in 1998 my Atari ST handled MIDI and notation with 1.5 MB RAM and an 8 MHz CPU, packing the app (Cubase) AND some music on a 720KB floppy.

With highest respect for the Canorus developer's work, I find NtEd has a much more straightforward approach; and the good ole ABCPlus still has my preference for graphic quality -- BTW, no more need to install anything, here's an online ABCplus song converter (seems to use a rather old version, but generally works well):

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php

8)

charlie6

#12 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
new version 1.5.1 is available at Slackware
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-1 ... 86-1cf.tgz
seems to have fixed some midi import features.

at installation on a fresh Puppy4.1.3 frugal on a PIII laptop192MBRam (10 years old), I got the following message when running NtEd from console: (only part of the message)

Code: Select all

#nted
...cannot find config ...no matter if it is first run
Although NtEd was running. But as I did'nt encouter this message on installation on desktops (with Puppy412 or 413; as also on ToutouLinux412; all frugal) I decided to uninstall NtEd with PetManager; afterwards reinstall after reboot..and... no more such message.

Have fun !
Cheers
Charlie

hanzf

#13 Post by hanzf »

Hello,

I installed NtEd and timidity.
When I typed: timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &, it said:
  • # timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
    [1] 28541
    # Requested buffer size 2048, fragment size 1024
    ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 7524, period size 3760 bytes
    TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
    Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
this doesn't look to me like an error message, but still NtEd plays without sound.

I also have Amuc installed (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 91&t=26976) and it produces a sound that, in my opinion, is good enough for scoretyping. How can I find out how Amuc produces its sounds, and can NtEd also use this method?
(Anyway, on my computer it will probably be better to have the simplest sound production available. Just to hear if I mistyped something in the score.)
Precise 5.7.1 frugal with .2fs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1000 MB RAM

charlie6

#14 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hanzf,
When I typed: timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &, it said:
# timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100 &
[1] 28541
# Requested buffer size 2048, fragment size 1024
ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 7524, period size 3760 bytes
TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
It is not an error.
Timidity must be running before starting NtEd to get sound.
Start NtEd (do nted from another console if you have no entry menu), select Configure/Import MIDI, in the dialog box select " 2 128:0 Timidity " among the present sequencers (1 14 Midi Through does not give sound, as some others ( I do not know why as yet...as I am rather newbie).

Verify that output volume settings value is > 0 (see AlsaMixer or sGmixer).
Have fun!
Cheers
Charlie

hanzf

#15 Post by hanzf »

Thank you charlie6, but still doesn't work. I also have some other problems with NtEd especially with keyboard note input, generating only quarter notes and sometimes causing NtEd to say "segmentation fault" and crash. I started trying musescore:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 62&t=34321

it seems slower than NtEd but everything I tried up to now works with no extra modules.

charlie6

#16 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hanzf,
I apologize reading your post as late as today...
Note that NtEd 1.6.0 has been just released (Many thanks to Cato Amundsen!!)
My config is ToutouLinux4.1.2 k2.6.25.16 (french translation of PuppyLinux 4.1.2) frugall
I do not use the encoding with the keyboard but the mouse instead ( a wacom volito tablet buyed at Aldi 5 years ago )
I also manage to use it with the numeric keyboard: I got all notes and symbols (with a desktop keyboard !! I suspect some difficulties with a laptop keyboard) - just do not forget to disable the numlock.

I wonder if your NtEd version is well installed - how did you do it? which one?

I made some trials on various NtEd's archives with more or less success to get one working:
I got good result with the debian and with the source (and also the nted-1.4.15.pet - but I prefer the more recent versions)

One got installated from NtEd-1.5.1.tar.gz;
downloaded under / ; click on it (Xarchive opens); extracted it to / ; just reboot and type nted in a console; I got also a menu entry - and it got configured in french automaticaly).

Good result also from the debian archive: just download it under / ; there do open a console and type undeb nted_1.5.1-1_i386.deb
(or as now nted_1.6.0-1_i386.deb )
Just reboot afterwards.

And recently I downloaded the nted-1.6.0.tar.gz into / ; and compiled it (yessss...! could not get the debian archive which possibly was not yet ready...):
it needs dev_xxx.sfs running [rather simple to install even for a newbie ...as I did it! =-))]I also got pkg-config compiled - it helps greatly to get other source compiled - ( I currently made some trials to get compiled from a source ... I recognize I am doing some cut and try without understanding 100% about what I am doing ... but this time it seems working).
and got it compiled (see 'installation from source' details in NtEd website).

Note: I admit I have had to reinstall puppy some more times as I possibly causes some jam among the directories...and spent time for nothing.

Timidity looks well installed on your PC.
Here are the addons I made on the mine : (extract from /root/.packages/alienpackages.txt

Code: Select all

"TiMidity++-2.13.0" "TiMidity++ 2.13.0: " on "  " \
needed for Timidity (I assume they are...)
"alsaplayer_extraplugins-0.99.80" "alsaplayer_extraplugins 0.99.80: alsaplayer plugins jack,OGLscope,mod" on "  " \
"alsa-oss-1.0.17-i386" "alsa-oss 1.0.17-i386: libs" on "  " \
"midi_in-0.1.1-i386" "midi_in 0.1.1-i386: midi plugin alsaplayer" on "  " \
maybe some are not necessary.

I see you are testing Musescore...
I have made some test on various score editors since one year, including Musescore, NtEd, Denemo; and my preferences goes to NtEd last versions as it is simple and fast enough; it performs good midi files recognition (as good as NotationPlayer for windows ); it allows export of the score code to Lilypond (which I also like to use because of the beautiful score rendering and its large notation possibilities - Lilypond works with batchfiles and therefore has no graphic interface - NtEd may be considered as one for the encoding of the notes which can be considered as fastidious on lilypond by certain).

links for NtEd:
http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/st ... nted.xhtml
debian version 1.6.0 here
http://pini.free.fr/debian/dists/stable ... 386/sound/

links for Lilypond (works with batchfiles - no GUI)
http://lilypond.org/web/
it does install at once on Puppy or Toutou linux from version 4.1 without any addons !!!

Cheers
Charlie

hanzf

#17 Post by hanzf »

Thank you charlie. I downloaded 1.6.0 and it does play sound with JACK and QSynth and it's pretty fast and simple, but i prefer keyboard input, and this is what NtEd does on my box: if NumLock is on, the keys 1..8 make only quarter notes, 9 does nothing, and the other numpad keys get NtEd to crash with a "segmentation fault". With NumLock off, any numpad key causes a crash. I think i will keep NtEd to write with the mouse sometimes, see how it works there.
yours, Hanz

charlie6

#18 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Edited 02 feb 2011

NtEd VERSION 1.10.18 available !!!

music score editor

very easy to compile on puppy 4.1.2 (I needed devx412.sfs + install pkgconfig2.3 to compile the tar.gz without the doc) pet is ca. 600KB without doc (3.5MB with doc); as also on other Puppies.

nted can run without doc; compiling with doc needs to have gettext, xmlto, xmltopot, yelp and po2xml installed; doc.tar.gz may be separately downloaded from the site, just uncompress it - or just use the online doc) - just follow the installation instructions on the nted website.

Cheers
Charlie

edited by may 5, 2011
debian nted 1.10.18 archives are downloable on (includes de hu sv en_GB it uk es nl zh_CN fr and ru locales locales)
(thanks to Gilles Filippini)
*works nice on puppy 4.12 and 4.20 (needs undeb.pet !) together with timidity - see page 1 this thread , as also on Lucid 5.25 *
http://pini.free.fr/debian/pool/main/n/ ... e_i386.deb
and documentation http://pini.free.fr/debian/pool/main/n/ ... le_all.deb
also archives for 64 bits processor available on the same url