Lucid Puppy 008 Bug Reports & Fixes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#41 Post by playdayz »

upnorth, we had a good fix from aarf, it looks like I left it out, I must have rebuilt that package and forgotten. Your fix is shorter though. Thanks.,

01micko

#42 Post by 01micko »

stu90 wrote:.

Also seem to be having some trouble with quickpackage / quickpet clicking on a browser download normaly brings up a dialog box connecting to server, downloading etc quickpackage is still runnig after 30 mins but no download try to open it again the message "quickpet is already running please wait"
Hello stu90

I put in a loop to check for the download, but I should have put in a timeout in case the server does not respond, that will be fixed for the next version.

Cheers and thanks for report
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

upnorth

rox focus bug

#43 Post by upnorth »

For the rox focus bug:

This works too and is probably better. The rox wrapper script is:

/usr/local/bin/rox

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true
exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "$@"

See amigo's comment here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389

popescu eugen

#44 Post by popescu eugen »

in lupu008 gxine
subtitles not work

rameshiyer

Full Hard Disk Installation

#45 Post by rameshiyer »

I am not able to install ( Full Hard Disk) Lucid Puppy 008 in machine. While installing Lucid Puppy 008, it reports no media to install . I also tried to mount hard disk through pmount. However, this also fails as hard disk is not detected.

Please note that Both Quirky 10 & 18 is working in Full Hard Disk installation ( Grub boot loader) . Kindly look into this.

Sit Heel Speak

Gparted/Lupu-008 can't create ext3 partition for full instal

#46 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rameshiyer wrote:I am not able to install ( Full Hard Disk) Lucid Puppy 008 in machine...
@rameshiyer: it might help track the bug down, to know what kind of a hard disk system you have.

@playdayz:

I too have a problem with a full install, in Lupu-008: gparted is evidently unable to format a partition ext3. It *appears* to succeed, but the attempt to boot a full install on it, sadly, crashes when the kernel line is executed, with a "file or directory of wrong type" (or close to that) message.

I moved the fresh full-install filesystem over to another partition, booted into Puppy 4.21 and reformatted the partition (ext3 again), moved the Lupu filesystem back onto said partition, tried booting again, and this time Lupu-008 successfully booted.

This is on a vintage-2005 80-gigabyte plain ATA HD, dual-P3 box with a gig of ram. The partition is 12 GB in size.

So, PUI is writing the full-install filesystem OK, just gParted needs to be updated or down-graded to a version that works.

I see that PUI still advises the user of the option to create a savefile...even when the user has chosen to create a full install... :roll:

rt kernel version build pet, on the way, in a day or two or three...after I figure out this sysprof-module.ko thing-y...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Wed 21 Apr 2010, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

rameshiyer

Hard Disk Instalaltion

#47 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Sir

Lucid Puppy 008 is not detecting my hard disk while installing through Universal Installer. Usually I don't find any problem hard disk installation. Quirky 10 as well as 18 detected the Hard disk 250 GB internal SATA Hard disk without any problem. However Lucid fails to detects. It no media found for installation.
It is not detecting any partition. Gpart also fails to detect any hard disk or partition.
Presently system having Windows XP, Quirky 10 & Quirky0.18. All of them are full hard disk boothing by Grub 4 Dos.Kindly look into this please.

stu90

#48 Post by stu90 »

01micko wrote:
stu90 wrote:.

Also seem to be having some trouble with quickpackage / quickpet clicking on a browser download normaly brings up a dialog box connecting to server, downloading etc quickpackage is still runnig after 30 mins but no download try to open it again the message "quickpet is already running please wait"
Hello stu90

I put in a loop to check for the download, but I should have put in a timeout in case the server does not respond, that will be fixed for the next version.

Cheers and thanks for report
hi 01micko,

I don't know if this is a server problem as i seem to have the same problem in 000 as well, just booted lupu6 quickpet download works as normal booted into the new lupu000 pfix=ram same quickpet download doesn't work i get one dialog box saying next step is to confirm download but after that nothing although quick pet is running.
Definatly have a live internet connection.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Hard Disk Installation

#49 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rameshiyer wrote:...Lucid Puppy 008 is not detecting my...250 GB internal SATA Hard disk...gparted also fails to detect any hard disk or partition....
@rameshiyer:

No need to shout, we have good ears.

@playdayz: The 008 live-CD works OK here on a Seagate ST3500418AS 500 GB SATA drive connected to an Intel D865GSA mainboard, see screenshot. I have not yet tried installing grub from Lupu-008.

***addendum: rameshiyer is right, gparted cannot see this disk (keeps scanning forever and ever...). It is not a kernel issue, it's a gparted issue.

Voodoo 3 card support, or lack thereof, is however I believe a kernel issue. Said support is new in the 2.6.33.2 kernel and Barry's seems to have overlooked it.

Sit Heel Speak

#50 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

@playdayz:

Here is the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid by which I succeeded in building a Lucid Pup. Some hand-tinkering with the initrd.gz was also needed.

Sorry, I did not make careful comments, but if you diff it (diffutils not diff! :lol: ) against yours, you can see where I altered it.

Mysteriously, some pets could not be found with the || syntax, the pet name must be explicitly specified within the | and | . Is this an issue within 2createpackages? Or is it because I'm using the wrong repo triplet (e.g. ubuntu-lucid-official) in the .pet's I hand-built?

Perhaps we can synchronize our efforts somewhat, if you'll keep me abreast of your DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid and the ls -lah of packages-pet.
Attachments
ls-lah--shs-lupu008-packages-pet.gz
ls -lah of packages-pet by which SHS built a Lucid
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid--008-SHS.gz
DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-lucid by which SHS built a Lucid
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

playdayz

#51 Post by playdayz »

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/D ... untu-lucid

SHS and everyone. This is the main "recipe" file in Woof that specifies the contents and construction of a Lucid Pup. The more people who understand how this worka the better off we all are imho. This file is in transition from 000 to 009.

If you go through the file please feel free to make suggestions and ask questions. The early versions--up until 007 were built with a modified file from Karmic renamed (the result of Karmic Pup). After 006 Barry incorporated most of our changes into a new file specifically for Lucid Pup. In the course of development what we really need now in Lucid Puppy are detail fixes--small bugfixes in the user experience, again imho. The big stuff is in place--assuming the automatic configuration of x pans out as well as it looks. I hope for 009 late Thursday or early Friday. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gparted in 008 and 000 is 0.4.5 (0.4.x at any rate) and is a pet package. Here is a pet prepared from the latest Ubuntu debs gparted 0.5.1. I confirm that 000 also seemed to make an ext3 file system and seemed to write a full install to it--but would not boot. Is this Ubuntu gparted any better?

http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/G ... -Lucid.pet

Wait a minute. in my first try with the original gparted I forgot to set the new partition boot flag. I am trying the 0.5.1 gparted now--and setting the boot flag.

The new gparted inserted into 000 created an ext3 partition and I did a full install and it booted. I will look back at the message to see that is what we need. Thanks.

rameshiyer

Hard Disk Full installation

#52 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Sit Heel Speak

I have not shouted. Just provide big font for attention and for easy reading nothing more. Please excuse me if I done anything wrong from my side.

My PC is Intel Q6600 Processor & Inter Original Mother DQ35JO. However, while trying to install Universal Installer is not able to find the media for installation. In my case HDD. Gpart also not finding hard disk.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Hard Disk Full installation

#53 Post by Lobster »

rameshiyer wrote: I have not shouted. Just provide big font for attention and for easy reading nothing more. Please excuse me if I done anything wrong from my side.
No worries Rameshiyer, SHS,
Nothing wrong.

The netiquette convention is that
all caps or enlarging all of a post
is stressing or shouting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Also most people are very amicable (especially Puppy users) but postings may appear a little abrupt or jarring when no such intention is meant :)

I hope someone is able to help you.
Thanks for testing Lucid - every report is helpful. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

stu90 wrote:I don't know if this is a server problem as i seem to have the same problem in 000 as well
It well may be, but I should have put in the timeout. Try the "Lucid Puppy Update" button in the update page in the quickapakage GUI, it should download and install an update to Quickpackage. After it is installed, try it and report if you still seem to have that never ending loop, that is if it works.

Thanks for testing

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Hard Disk Full installation

#55 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rameshiyer wrote:Gpart also not finding hard disk.
Just a minute, I will switch over to my SATA machine and try the new gparted PET package which playdayz posted, above.

Kerala is quite a place, I have read.

Sit Heel Speak

#56 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Nope, no see-gar. This gparted-0.5.1 still keeps stuck in an eternal loop when scanning a sata drive. PMount can mount the drive OK, but gparted can't see any partitions on it.

Way past bedtime, back in 18 or so.

@rameshiyer: keep checking back, we'll fix it.

Jim1911

#57 Post by Jim1911 »

A couple of small problems. (See attachment.)

1. After using the update feature of Quickpackage which worked great, the Lucid Puppy Update message appears and stays. Clicking OK, just closes the program so the other items under the update button are not available. The problem was duplicated several times, however on one try, a message that no updates are available appeared.

2. Drive icons aren't lined up properly on first reboot or subsequent reboots
after making bootmanager changes.

Cheers,
Jim
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

playdayz

#58 Post by playdayz »

Concerning gparted. Gparted 0.5.1 in LuciPup 000 detects my sda sata drive. i wait approximately one minute maybe some more. i am looking ofr a power cable to test on some different machines where I can delete and format partitions.

If the Universal installer does not find the partition then that would not be a gparted problem, right?

Are using gparted with the shell to select either sda, sdb, etc. otherwise it can take a longer time--which is why Barry wrote the shell. I am thinkng it isnot a gparted problem. And with 4 motherboards that have sata I have only two sata power cords, how could that be?.

Jim1911

#59 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:Concerning gparted. Gparted 0.5.1 in LuciPup 000 detects my sda sata drive. i wait approximately one minute maybe some more. i am looking ofr a power cable to test on some different machines where I can delete and format partitions.

If the Universal installer does not find the partition then that would not be a gparted problem, right?

Are using gparted with the shell to select either sda, sdb, etc. otherwise it can take a longer time--which is why Barry wrote the shell. I am thinkng it isnot a gparted problem. And with 4 motherboards that have sata I have only two sata power cords, how could that be?.
I have a sata and an ide drive and on my system and on both, partitions are properly identified. (fat32,ntfs, ext3, ext4, and linux-swap).

playdayz

#60 Post by playdayz »

Thanks Jim1911,

After some testing i think I see a pattern. I beleive the problem might be due to the confusion between pmount and grub when there are multiple ata and sata drives. i think gparted is doing its job properly. i deleted, created, and formatted a new sata drive (boot device). I did a full install. I set up menu.lst properly for grub. I rebooted and got Could not mount partition error. I tried the same with a frugal install and got a file not found error (as I remember). However, the next time I edited the grub menu entries to give the new disk the "wrong" identifier, instead of its "true" name hd(1,0) as it was sdb1, I gave it hd(2,0) and Be careful when testing this because disks and partitions do not always have the name you expect, very bad things can happen.both the full install and the frugal install booted when I did that.

you can see Barry's explanation when doing a grub config after a frugal install--it will; explain the problem with multiple ata and sata drives. It would certainly be a good thing to solve.

I am about to start building 009 on the assumption that gparted is all right--but it will be a thing to test of course.

Be careful when testing this because disks and partitions do not always have the name you expect, very bad things can happen.