Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dougeeebear

#1841 Post by dougeeebear »

jemimah wrote:Can you check if the sound card is disabled in the BIOS?
The sound works fine in Windows, so I doubt it's disabled.
Is there a setting somewhere in Puppeee that would do that?

EDIT:
I just checked and audio is enabled in the bios.

MU

#1842 Post by MU »

just sittin' on the balcony... :)
... watching DVBT TV...
Attachments
61ju00VsCJL.jpg
(89.53 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
61BSna5MNEL.jpg
(64.38 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

lemmy999

#1843 Post by lemmy999 »

@Jemimah

Great work. Only two issues on my 900- no sound and a problem with gmail. I'm pretty certain it has to do with the save file. If I delete the file then I can log in to my gmail account and read my mail. Once RAM has saved I cannot log back in to the account. I get the following error message
Error 107 (net::ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR): Unknown error.

jemimah

#1844 Post by jemimah »

I think the ssl thing will be fixed by the Chrome update in the next release, hopefully in the next couple of days.

I have no idea what's up with the sound. I will check if there's any alsa updates, but 2.6.33 hasn't been out that long so I don't know if there would be a fix yet.

[It does appear the alsa version on the alsa website is a little newer than what's in the kernel - I will update for the next release and see if that helps.]

jemimah

#1845 Post by jemimah »

MU wrote:just sittin' on the balcony... :)
... watching DVBT TV...
I'm totally jealous of your matte screen.

dougeeebear

#1846 Post by dougeeebear »

I just restored a copy of Beta 4.2 to my 1000H and the sound worked fine with that.
Hope this info helps.

dougeeebear

#1847 Post by dougeeebear »

Strangest thing... the sound is working fine this morning.
Go figure, I certainly don't understand it.
Sorry for the confusion.

jemimah

#1848 Post by jemimah »

Well I try upgrading alsa anyway. A couple people have mentioned sound issues.

omskates

#1849 Post by omskates »

This interface reminds me of what you're already doing with FLWM :o
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/ubuntu-1 ... qus_thread

jemimah

#1850 Post by jemimah »

There's a little more about it on Mark Shuttleworth's blog. Great minds think alike, eh?
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/383

The real question is whether they can make a gnome environment run a reasonable speed. Every time I try a distro with a gnome desktop, I come running back to puppy because I hate the waiting and poor performance. Maybe Unity is something else - I'll try it out if I have some time.

I hope they don't choose form over function, a la Moblin. We've got enough interfaces for netbooks that try to copy the iPhone. A netbook should be a small computer, not a big handheld, and not a content consumption kiosk.

2lss

#1851 Post by 2lss »

I really like the launcher for unity. It looks a lot like AWN, which I use on my ubuntu box. I wanted to build a pet for puppy but it has a lot of gnome dependencies. Instead I was thinking about customizing fbpanel a little bit to make a "launchpanel" but I think the one from unity would probably work better.
I hope they don't choose form over function, a la Moblin. We've got enough interfaces for netbooks that try to copy the iPhone. A netbook should be a small computer, not a big handheld, and not a content consumption kiosk.
I agree. I purchased a netbook for a reason, a small computer, not an iphone, ipod touch or a cloud device. Thats why I like pupeee.

jemimah

#1852 Post by jemimah »

RoxPanel can go on the side like that - but it's only a launcher - not a taskbar too like the OS X dock.

The new Puppeee (coming out tomorrow probably) has an Openbox option, which integrates with Rox Panel nicely.

jemimah

#1853 Post by jemimah »

It can work like this but it's pretty buggy, and there's not much space for your stuff. The panel is scrollable though, which is pretty unique.

I prefer the panels that stay under until you click in the corner that I'm using with Flwm. I think that ends up being more usable than a side panel.

cinclus_cinclus

compiling network drivers for Samsung NC10

#1854 Post by cinclus_cinclus »

106498 wrote: The bad: wired lan isn't detected! Maybe I'm just overlooking something but opening the network/wireless part of the wizard starts pwireless. There doesn't seem to be any way to get wired lan going?
You need an additional kernel-module for your nic: r8169, which is not in Puppeee.

On my Samsung NC10 the lacking modules are sky2 (for wired LAN) ath5k (for wireless chip).

I installad the puppeee devx-sfs and the kernelsource, recompiled the kernel after including the sky2 and ath5k as modules in the puppeees kernel-configuration (puppeee-2.6.33.2-atom_config).

Result:

a) wired LAN works by:

-copying the compiled sky2.ko from the kernel tree to /lib/modules/2.6.33.2atom/kernel/drivers/net

-insmod and modprobe of the new module.

-activation of eth0

b) wireless module fails:

-copying the compiled ath5k.ko from the kernel tree to /lib/modules/2.6.33.2atom/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k

- but

# insmod ath5k.o

fails with:
# insmod ath5k.ko:
insmod: error inserting 'ath5k.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

prehistoric

beta 5 on 1001P

#1855 Post by prehistoric »

I've just tried Puppeee beta 5_0 on an Asus eee PC 1001P belonging to a friend.

Good news: it works. Recognizes the N450 dual-core Atom and uses both processors. The Atheros 2427 wireless works without significant problems.

Bad news: the Intel GMA 3150 video keeps insisting it can only do 800x600, true for both Xorg and XVESA.

I don't think the Bluetooth option was included in this one.

In other respects this is a nice machine. The keyboard is OK for touch typing. It has a 6-cell battery. It has the matte finish you like.

It comes with Windows 7, which should keep working when XP is taken off life support. Unfortunately, this is W7 starter, which seems primarily designed to sell higher-priced versions.

jemimah

Re: compiling network drivers for Samsung NC10

#1856 Post by jemimah »

cinclus_cinclus wrote:
-copying the compiled ath5k.ko from the kernel tree to /lib/modules/2.6.33.2atom/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k
Ath5k should have been there already. Many models of Eeepc use ath5k.

jemimah

Re: beta 5 on 1001P

#1857 Post by jemimah »

prehistoric wrote:I've just tried Puppeee beta 5_0 on an Asus eee PC 1001P belonging to a friend.

Good news: it works. Recognizes the N450 dual-core Atom and uses both processors. The Atheros 2427 wireless works without significant problems.

Bad news: the Intel GMA 3150 video keeps insisting it can only do 800x600, true for both Xorg and XVESA.

I don't think the Bluetooth option was included in this one.

In other respects this is a nice machine. The keyboard is OK for touch typing. It has a 6-cell battery. It has the matte finish you like.

It comes with Windows 7, which should keep working when XP is taken off life support. Unfortunately, this is W7 starter, which seems primarily designed to sell higher-priced versions.
I don't suppose you snagged the Xorg log. Sometimes there's a way to make it work by adding a modeline to the xorg.conf. Otherwise, I'd be curious if the Xorg in quirky can handle it correctly.

hokal

#1858 Post by hokal »

@Jemimah

I have reinstalled my original sd card again, to get Puppeee running. It is really that best system for me :D My Runcore PCIe card (64GB!) has a small connector for a USB cable. So I tried to connect the card via that way from outside via USB. No success! :( This is still working with all other derivatives.

Can you make a pet with some drivers that are most likely missing???

I also found out, that even with original sd cards, but also with USB sticks it sometimes happens, that the system will "loose" the red dotted system drive icon, although it can boot from that. You can look at this drive via Gparted and you get the same warning I got with my runcore mentioned before. "couldn' t find valid filesystem superblock". In this case you can still use that drive, even boot. You just don't see it anymore. I have no idea when and why this happens, but if it happens it is irreversible and I have to recopy my back up sfs file.

prehistoric

Re: beta 5 on 1001P

#1859 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:...I don't suppose you snagged the Xorg log. Sometimes there's a way to make it work by adding a modeline to the xorg.conf. Otherwise, I'd be curious if the Xorg in quirky can handle it correctly.
I'll try quirky in place of the test I was preparing. For once, I went out without an arsenal of flash drives, so I wasn't able to bring any of the logs back. I just happened to catch my friend at home. There will be another delay.

Incidentally, he couldn't figure out how I was able to put it on an SD card until I did it in front of him using your instructions and his own desktop machine. Seems he was trying Puppy instead of Puppeee. Phonetic ambiguity strikes again.

Flash858

LX launcher

#1860 Post by Flash858 »

I feel like an idiot, but...

How do you enable the LX netbook launcher?

I simply cannot figure it out...

Sorry if this has been covered, but it is a loooong thread... :)