NetHack

Play with your Puppy.
chaorace

NetHack

#1 Post by chaorace »

nethack is a compact downloadable dungeon crawling game that doesn't ask for much from your computer, and runs beautiful in wine

Note:the game is best enjoyed with a thorough knowledge of the shortcut keys for more info access in game help by typing ? or open the included guidebook file and skip to the shortcut key section

Instructions:
download windows version from http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-win.html

unzip it to a safe file

run either file with wine:
nethack.exe
for the tty interface

nethackw.exe
for the graphical interface

If the game halts with one of these messages:

Common control library is missing.
Common control library is outdated.
then you need to apply the Common Control Library patch.
Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Wouldn't it be better to use the Linux version of NetHack, rather than run the Windows versions through Wine, though?
http://www.nethack.org/v343/ports/download-linux.html
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
bowserevilking

#3 Post by bowserevilking »

There's also the online version:

Code: Select all

telnet nethack.alt.org
:D
chaorace

#4 Post by chaorace »

yeah but I didnt want to go through the trouble of making a pet and it's more convenient plug and play you know?
bowserevilking

#5 Post by bowserevilking »

chaorace wrote:yeah but I didnt want to go through the trouble of making a pet and it's more convenient plug and play you know?
Installing it as a pet is much more convenient than using wine, imo.
Observe:

Wine:

wine /path/to/nethack.exe
Native:

nethack
Telnet:

telnet nethack.alt.org
Then again, if you were to bother to make scripts that would save you from typing each time, they would be about the same, but the Linux port would be faster.

And there's already a Nethack pet in this topic: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=354486
zaivala

#6 Post by zaivala »

Yeah, I could play the TTY version, it's what I learned on way back in the 80s... but there are GTK, X, and qt versions available with graphics. Being a brand new puppy, I have no clue how to make them pets, but maybe someone here does?
zaivala

#7 Post by zaivala »

I got the .pup to download and install, but can't get it configured to where it will run. There are several differences between this version and a basic version -- usually you edit the nethack.cnf file to set up the correct directories and options, but Puppy won't let me edit this file. I must be missing something. I wish it were set up to be as easy to install and configure as on other systems... but so saying, in Ubuntu, it loads and installs just fine, then stops working after several days or uses (don't know why, couldn't get anyone to answer my questions on ubuntuforums.org).
zaivala

#8 Post by zaivala »

OK, I tried running through Terminal.

changed directory to /usr/games/lib/nethackdir and ran Nethack.

I'm apparently missing libXaw.so.7.

Also, unlike Terminal in Ubuntu, I can't seem to copy and paste my Terminal stuff... Any reason for this, or a keystroke I don't know?
un-named-one

copying and pasting

#9 Post by un-named-one »

I believe that you can highlight some text and then click on it with the middle mouse button. The text will appear at the bottom ov the terminal and it will also be copied to the clipboard.

You can then paste with the middle button again. However, if you're pasting into a different program, you can probably past with the standard Ctrl+v or right click > paste.

This is in Lucid 5.2.5
I think that some of the newer versions have/are getting a different terminal emulator (is that the correct term?) with more beginner friendly copying and pasting.[/b]
zaivala

Re: copying and pasting

#10 Post by zaivala »

un-named-one wrote:I believe that you can highlight some text and then click on it with the middle mouse button. The text will appear at the bottom ov the terminal and it will also be copied to the clipboard.

You can then paste with the middle button again. However, if you're pasting into a different program, you can probably past with the standard Ctrl+v or right click > paste.

This is in Lucid 5.2.5
I think that some of the newer versions have/are getting a different terminal emulator (is that the correct term?) with more beginner friendly copying and pasting.[/b]
I only have right and left buttons... sometimes if I blick both at the same time it will count as a middle button... I'll try it..