Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#981 Post by James C »

Back on the quad..........................

# graphix_test
For your nVidia card, nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2) we think the best add on driver is nvidia-173.14.25 or nvidia-256.36. It would be required for some programs and games with high graphcial content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. They are available in Quickpet under Drivers
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
nVidia
GeForce
#

James C

#982 Post by James C »

Installed the Nvidia driver from Quickpet...................

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 213

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

# glxgears

8171 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1634.200 FPS
10131 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2026.200 FPS
10156 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2031.200 FPS
10157 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2031.400 FPS
14597 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2919.400 FPS
14536 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2907.200 FPS
14610 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2922.000 FPS

Following the instructions in the popup doesn't work though.If I exit to the prompt enter "nvidia-xconfig" the text says something about an "incomplete xorg file" and entering "xwin" doesn't load the Nvidia driver.I reran Xorgwizard, choose, Nvidia,and finally xwin again.A few tweaks in the "Nvidia X Settings Wizard" and all is good though. :)

01micko

#983 Post by 01micko »

OK, looking good thanks James, since yours was problematic before...

Seems I have a similar mother board to you too, an nForce ... lspci is nearly identical.. except VGA (graphics).. because I have whacked a PCI express card in mine. So I guess if I ripped it out I would have discovered what went wrong! :roll: :lol:

Well, you saved me the trouble :lol: (it was on todays "to-do" list)

Ok, nVidia testers, I nearly have enough.. just need to hear from an ION owner and/or an older card owner such as the GeForce MX440 or Ti5200.

I'll post the pet again to save you trawling through what is becoming a monster of a thread :) :lol: (it's exactly the same pet, if already have it you don't want it!)

Run in a terminal

Code: Select all

graphix_test
Cheers
Attachments
graphix_test-1.pet
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smokey01

#984 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:
Made a small video of lucid213 first run wizard and driver recommendation. Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95PEj1-R1k
I saw it on youtbue, Stu90. Very cool. Thanks. Did you make it with gtk-recordMyDesktop? I am thinking to make at least one video (more a slide show) to welcome new users. Any tip[s?

Now that it's on youtube, my daughter believes it's real ;-)
Playdayz, of all the screen capture programs I have tried I still think xvidcap is best.

See example here: http://www.smokey01.com/store/FolderEnc.mpeg

The size of the video can be controlled by the quality and screen size settings. This is a large file but good quality but it can do better.

Get a copy of xvidcap here: http://www.smokey01.com/pets/xvidcap-1.1.6-i486.pet

Username=puppy Password=linux

playdayz

#985 Post by playdayz »

Someone already knows this

Warning: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
We are getting that Warning message when starting Xorg. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong but it looks bad. That's just the way that Puppy does things.

Does anyone know how to suppress it? Thanks.

playdayz

#986 Post by playdayz »

Ran report-video but this did not show any graphics drivers, so I had a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.org. This showed that both the intel and the vesa drivers had been loaded and the vesa driver had been subsequently unloaded. It also showed that the keyboard was set to us, so I needed to change this to gb.
Ran the region set up and selected Great Britain. Ran the language set up, this also requires the video to be selected again. selected intel. Now report-video shows the video driver as intel, BUT now I have no touchpad tapping no matter what I do with either of the mouse set up wizards.
Ho Hum
Ah, rjbrewer, If you have already run xorgwizard once, you could set the Keyboard layout with the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard, which would not rerun xorgwizard. Is it clear that the reason for running the keyboard layout along with xorgwizard is that the keyboard config needs the complete xorg.conf (which only comes from running xorgwizard).

01micko

#987 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Someone already knows this

Warning: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
We are getting that Warning message when starting Xorg. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong but it looks bad. That's just the way that Puppy does things.

rename it to modprobe1.conf :wink: (everyone can do that right now if they wish, it won't harm a thing and you don't get the message)

01micko

#988 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:
Ran report-video but this did not show any graphics drivers, so I had a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.org. This showed that both the intel and the vesa drivers had been loaded and the vesa driver had been subsequently unloaded. It also showed that the keyboard was set to us, so I needed to change this to gb.
Ran the region set up and selected Great Britain. Ran the language set up, this also requires the video to be selected again. selected intel. Now report-video shows the video driver as intel, BUT now I have no touchpad tapping no matter what I do with either of the mouse set up wizards.
Ho Hum
Ah, rjbrewer, If you have already run xorgwizard once, you could set the Keyboard layout with the Mouse/Keyboard Wizard, which would not rerun xorgwizard. Is it clear that the reason for running the keyboard layout along with xorgwizard is that the keyboard config needs the complete xorg.conf (which only comes from running xorgwizard).
Did you see mories post a few pages back? If we can whack in a start up script then it makes the "pkeys" boot param useful. (in theory, haven't tested, would need to remaster or woof one up to test). Maybe shinobar knows more on that one.

Cheers

darwinev0lved

Re: Intel 855GM Graphics ans Luci-213

#989 Post by darwinev0lved »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,
Success, booted the Samsung X05(Intel 855GM) with pfix=ram and it went straight to the desktop, with the right resolution, sound AND touchpad tapping working. Congrats all round.
Ho Hum
Cheers
A fellow X05 user! The only way to get the touchpad to work (that I know) is to directly edit xorg.conf. You need to set maxtap to 255 - I find I also need to fiddle with the maxspeed too, to get it feeling right.

scsijon

#990 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote:
I'm a bit worried about scsijon's report that when he tries to alter resolution he gets black screen again. I haven't tried this. When you go into xorgwizard, for whatever reason, it is very important not to choose 'probe' for driver. That WILL black screen. You have to choose the Intel driver
I am worried also. I don't understand why it can auto config but it cannot go through xorgwizard.

I also wonder if he tried to change resolution by using the Resolution button in the Video, Language, and Keyboard Changer--that Resolution button does *not* use xorgwizard.
tried that first folks

after a night of testing (we need an icon with blurry eyes) and many reboots, found that my video max 1600x1200@85 and 640x480@60 are the only two that work now, the rest are dead screen.

something has broken

think i'll await 214 :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers

scsijon

rjbrewer

#991 Post by rjbrewer »

playdayz wrote:
Ho Hum
playdayz;
That's not my quote, :lol:

Being located here at the center of the known universe, (Kansas)
there's no need for me to change mouse-keyboard settings. :lol:

edit;
That was alec78.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

scruffy

Lucid 213 - Nvidia MX440 graphics

#992 Post by scruffy »

Frugal install - Graphics card Nvidia MX440
Test1 - first run
-----------------
# graphix_test
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev a4)
nVidia
GeForce4
Direct Rendering - No

Chip description:
product: NV18 Board - p119s0nz Chip Rev A2
Driver used by Xorg:
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:
Test2
-----
'Lupu recommends' correctly identifies MX440 and suggests that I install XORG High-glx (for Radeon and Intel?)
After installing XORG High-glx I get

Direct rendering - yes
# report-video
Chip description:
product: NV18 Board - p119s0nz Chip Rev A2
Driver used by Xorg:
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

# glxgears
209 frames in 5.0 seconds
220 frames in 5.0 seconds
235 frames in 5.0 seconds
Test 3
-------
quickpet->drivers-><test graphics card> directs me to Nvidia website to download NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.16-pkg1.run

After resetting permissions I run this and get
ERROR: Unable to find the system utility `ldconfig`; please make sure you
have the package 'glibc' installed. If you do have glibc installed,
then please check that `ldconfig` is in your PATH.
#

(I'm probably doing something silly here)
Test 4
------
Install CatDude pet NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
4000 frames in 5.0 seconds
4589 frames in 5.0 seconds

Test 5 Upgrade from Lucid 5.0
-------------------------------------------
Noobie - Spotify works well for me in Wine

213 is still expecting lucisave rather than lupusave file
Gnome Mplayer icon missing from menu
Desktop icons still need rearranging - being addressed later I think
'Lupu recommends' Has a typo - graphcial.

Otherwise all running very well and looking good.

playdayz

#993 Post by playdayz »

Code:

rename it to modprobe1.conf (everyone can do that right now if they wish, it won't harm a thing and you don't get the message)
I lost sound when I renamed it. Is this a gotcha?!

playdayz

#994 Post by playdayz »

Did you see mories post a few pages back? If we can whack in a start up script then it makes the "pkeys" boot param useful. (in theory, haven't tested, would need to remaster or woof one up to test). Maybe shinobar knows more on that one.
For 5.1?

01micko

#995 Post by 01micko »

scruffy

I made a pet for testing on the previous page, can you install it and run the command "graphix_test"?

It should recommend the correct driver.

Cheers

Hmmm....

playdayz, I tried on four machines, still have sound :?

When it says its deprecated in console like that it shouldn't be there. Modules are defined by depmod I think, and there is a file in the kernel folders. I found that out debugging ndis-wrapper awhile ago.

Maybe someone knows better than me :wink:

playdayz

#996 Post by playdayz »

On the modprobe.conf.

I didn't lose all sound, but I did lose the 2 barks when starting X.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 20 Jul 2010, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#997 Post by James C »

oooops.................... :lol:

ICPUG

#998 Post by ICPUG »

OK - some more testing results but first to answer Playdayz request about what Barry suggested in his blog. This was posted 25/6/10 16:39 for spup2

I am interested in getting feedback on what needs to be done to get X running for various video hardware. If the proper video driver doesn't work, you can get going with vesa driver, then experiment...

Intel
Create a file /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf:
options i915 modeset=1

Radeon
Create file /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf:
options radeon modeset=1

Nvidia
Create file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf:
options nouveau modeset=1

...the above is a suggested starting point. I read somewhere that this line may be needed also in the .conf file:
install video /sbin/modprobe radeon;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install video
...to force the ACPI 'video' kernel module to load after the radeon (or i915, etc) kernel module.

unquote

There are reports that it worked in the comments and I believe, although not tested, it was implemented in spup3.

Note: There is no '.' between the i915 and the modeset=1 in the above suggestion.

Now for the testing results:

I'm back with a frugal with my menu.lst having the i915.modeset=1 and video=640x480 (which works to get rid of the small test in terminal mode)

I tested what scsijon did to see if I black screened when I changed resolution. Happily I didn't. It all went well.

My default resolution by xorg autoconfiguring was 1280x800 (which is correct for my laptop LCD screen). I went into the keyboard video changer on first boot and set locale to GB, keyboard to UK and resolution to 800x600. Seemed OK except some icons needed to be moved so the drive icons did not overlap them, When asked I typed the intel driver (be nice to choose from a list and not have to type). It seemed OK so I shutdown the PC and created a save file. Rebooted and things were still OK - no black screen like scsijon.

Now my touchpad tapping had gone and the speed was slower than when Xorg autoconfiguration was in play. In the past I went to setup mouse and ticked enabled touchpad tap. This would alter maxtaptime in xorg.conf and would work. As rjbrewer reported it does not work now BUT ...

... I now had a look at setup - touchpad and I see this calls up flsynclient. I thought this was a GUI front end to parts of Xorg.conf but clearly it isn't. When I set the touchpad tapping here and horizontal scrolling and speed here IT WORKED.

It is interesting. flsynclient creates a hidden file .flsynclient in root's home folder and here are all the touchpad settings. These seem to take precedence over what xorg.conf says. (I read somewhere else that it is not possible to manually edit .flsynclient within X). I hate it when old ways of working suddenly don't work and you have to find out the new magic. Doesn't endear Linux to newbies.

The situation now is that I finally have the setup I want AND you have the direct boot to desktop that you want.

It seems like a win-win at last.

rcrsn51

#999 Post by rcrsn51 »

01micko wrote:When it says its deprecated in console like that it shouldn't be there. Modules are defined by depmod I think, and there is a file in the kernel folders. I found that out debugging ndis-wrapper awhile ago.Maybe someone knows better than me
This issue showed up in Quirky 1.2 after BarryK upgraded the package that contains modprobe. The problem is that the ALSA sound setup also uses the file /etc/modprobe.conf. So if you delete the old file to make the new modprobe command happy, it keeps coming back anyway.

FWIW, this issue also caused the CPU Frequency Scaling Tool to fail because of the spurious error message.

01micko

#1000 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for explanation rcrsn51..

Is there a way that you know of that can suppress the warning?

Cheers