Openbox error message that doesn't make sense...

Booting, installing, newbie
mickeblue

Openbox error message that doesn't make sense...

#1 Post by mickeblue »

... at least not to me.

Hi everyone, I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 from an 8 gig USB drive and all seemed to be going well until this message started popping up.

I tried removing the ampersand in line 16 and saving the file, but it crops up again... annoying thing is I'm not even sure what this folder is, I suspect it came as part of one of the themes that I tried to install.

Any pointer as to resolving this would be welcome. Thanks.

PupGeek

#2 Post by PupGeek »

Are you sure you have write permissions for the file? Always make a backup by renaming the original file with an additional .old extension and saving to a new file when making changes, so that you may revert if necessary.

mickeblue

#3 Post by mickeblue »

That wasn't the problem PupGeek, I had permission but I wasn't doing the right thing. I didn't need to delete the ampersand, just change the code to "&amp". Once I did that and saved the file the glitch was resolved ( though I still don't know why I have an Openbox folder ~ as far as I can see it isn't actually doing anything :? ).

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

Hidden folders/files in /root mostly contain configuration info.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

stu90

#5 Post by stu90 »

have a look at
/usr/share/applications/desktop_profile.desktop
Open as text and delete the & from the end of the Exec= line - then run the command fixmenus in terminal.

The openbox folder is there because lucid 525's default windows manager is openbox, there is also JWM windows manager installed as well - when you install a new .pet or whatever it will regenerate the openbox menu / JWM menu so if you swap and change between windows managers the menus will be upto date.

mickeblue

#6 Post by mickeblue »

The openbox folder is there because lucid 525's default windows manager is openbox, there is also JWM windows manager installed as well - when you install a new .pet or whatever it will regenerate the openbox menu / JWM menu so if you swap and change between windows managers the menus will be up to date.
Thanks stu90. That makes things a lot clearer.