[SOLVED] How to Edit Menu in Wary?

Booting, installing, newbie
johnywhy

[SOLVED] How to Edit Menu in Wary?

#1 Post by johnywhy »

hi

What is the path and name of the config file for the start menu? I can't find it

Wary 5.1.3

Thanks!
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Minimatter

#2 Post by Minimatter »

The final menu entries correspond to .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. The category entry specifies where in the menu it will appear. If you want to add or remove a menu entry, you create or delete one of these files.

Menu categories are specified by files in /etc/xdg/menus and /usr/share/desktop-directories.

The template for the jwm menus is /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc. If you want to change the structure of the menu, edit the template file and provide any required files to specify the additional menu categories. The script /usr/sbin/fixmenus constructs the actual configuration file /root/.jwmrc read by the window manager.

It's complicated but designed to follow the xdg standard, documented at standards.freedesktop.org.

johnywhy

#3 Post by johnywhy »

Is there a GUI for puppy?

Thanks!

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Hi Minimatter, johnywhy- you might like to know <wink> this little pet exists.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

What happen here johnywhy, joy?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

johnywhy, you should learn to search the forum first as a lot of your questions are handled already and have an answer.

The puppy search link in my sig is a powerful tool for this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

johnywhy

#7 Post by johnywhy »

Semme wrote:Hi Minimatter, johnywhy- you might like to know <wink> this little pet exists.
thanks Semme, but i'm a little nervous to install gtkbasic, as it is 3 years old made for puppy 4. also, i think this tool does not allow editing of the current menu items, which is what i desire :(

johnywhy

#8 Post by johnywhy »

Béèm wrote:johnywhy, you should learn to search the forum first as a lot of your questions are handled already and have an answer.
thanks, yes, i do always search first, if i don't find the answer it's probably due to my poor search skills! Thanks for your puppysearch, what sites does it search?

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Runs clean on my 5.28 for new entries.. anything I'd rather not see gets yanked from /usr/share/applications.

The only other similar item I came across is the pmenu project, which, as far as I know, isn't spec'd for 5.x.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

johnywhy wrote:
Béèm wrote:johnywhy, you should learn to search the forum first as a lot of your questions are handled already and have an answer.
thanks, yes, i do always search first, if i don't find the answer it's probably due to my poor search skills! Thanks for your puppysearch, what sites does it search?
It only searches in the puppy forums and gives better hits then the search function of the forum.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

johnywhy

#11 Post by johnywhy »

Which puppy forums?