[SOLVED] Where's ROX Term On Wary?

Booting, installing, newbie
johnywhy

[SOLVED] Where's ROX Term On Wary?

#1 Post by johnywhy »

hi

how can i get a rox terminal window on wary?

when i click the 'console' icon on the desktop and type "dir", i get "bash command not found"

thanks!
Last edited by johnywhy on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Clicking on 'console' (or opening rxvt, or whatever Wary uses from the Puppy menu), as you did, will open a terminal window. From a ROX window, you can also press '~' to open a terminal window in that directory.

But, what are you trying to do? Get a listing of files in that directory? As far as I'm aware, 'dir' is a DOS command, not Unix/Linux, which would be why you're getting the 'command not found' error. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) If you do want to get a listing of files in a directory, use the 'ls' command.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).
Minimatter

#3 Post by Minimatter »

If you really want typing "dir" to give a directory listing, you can make it an alias by adding a line
alias dir='ls -la'
to the file /etc/profile or (better) to the file /root/.bashrc. Click the eye button in rox to see files whose names start with a dot.