Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slackfan

#281 Post by slackfan »

Hi Sickgut

you are attempting to attract a part of the Puppy users with a kind of promise «potentially a Puppy» but don't realize a Puppy at all if I really good understand what you are distributing...

a Puppy
  • runs entirely in RAM on the most computers
  • can remaster itself using a script or the following Dougal's methode
  • installs grub legacy and starts with it
  • runs as «root»
(as far I can thing that Slitaz is more Puppy as Pussy...)
  • can open and use easily each Puppy file
Why did you not observe the methode of Dougal, I remember it following?
Dougal wrote:I find the best way is to do it manually...

First, copy the filesystem to the harddrive:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/home/puppyfilesystem
cp -a  /initrd/pup_ro2/* /mnt/home/puppyfilesystem
Then just modify /mnt/home/puppyfilesystem the way you want it (look at the contents of the pup_save -- /initrd/pup_rw with pupmode 12, /initrd/pup_ro1 with pupmode 13 -- and just copy from there what you think is relevant: what you want will likely be in /root, /etc or /usr).

Then create a new sfs:

mkdir /mnt/home/puppylivecdbuild
cd /mnt/home
mksquashfs puppyfilesystem puppylivecdbuild/pup-431.sfs
Then just copy into /mnt/home/puppylivecdbuild the files from the cd and make the iso:

cd /mnt/home
mkisofs -D -R -o "puppy_remaster.iso" -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table puppylivecdbuild
Then just burn the iso (with pburn)...
I find that Pussy can't be a companion for puppy as long as it would differ as deep from the principal usages of puppy!
john3voltas wrote: So simply change your grub kernel/initrd lines into:
kernel /live/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd
initrd /live/initrd.img
And copy the files into a folder named 'live'.
That folder has to be in the root ('/') of your drive!!
Test again and you will succeed.
Hi John Thank you for your tentative to help. no success!
nooby wrote:So Debian use grub2 and you want to be compatible with that standard.
installing SID or testing you can continue to select "grub legacy" and as long the grub2 installation will continue not to respect anterior grub (both legacy or grub2) installation containing the real Puppy starting points, there is no reason to accept to generalize grub2!

I also use all the puppy environment in my Debian installations (Squeeze and SID), esp. jwm, iceape, incl. didiwiki, osmo, mTpaint, Abiword, gnumeric, Rox filer, xine (I do it a long time else and prefer continue to use xine as in the old puppies until rel. 4.), mHWaveEd., etc. yet 2 .. 3 years ago! my screen see about as the screen of Turbo Pup but with an other choice of icones... it is not really easy to realize because Debian will install Gnome, KDE. or LXDE, and JWM is not really welcome in Debian (but better integrated in the new SID but it is possible to renounce to use a session manager and to simplify the login not really as in puppy but about (root and user name and password all the same with an extremely short 'word' and link for 'startx' with the same 'word' in /usr/bin :wink: ) but I would nether say that it is a puppy companion!

a Debian live CD can be made with the Debian standard application for live CD more or less automatically. it would of course be a reasonable selection to take the same applications as puppy and other smart distributions are using to optimize the size of the live CD! but it would be a Debian live CD having nothing to do with Puppy...

my Debian SID with iceape, mTpaint etc. but also Merkaartor and the GPS for OSM etc

my Puppy with Konqueror, Zim, Puppy help file in Midori, kwrite etc.

the same Puppy with the KDE 4 in action!
Last edited by slackfan on Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#282 Post by nooby »

As I get it your target are all the linux users that like Debian and them want to act as any standard Linux user do. Do a Full Install instead of a frugal install.

But if one are like 90% of all computer owners the Desktop or Laptop already has Ms Win 7 or WinXP on it and one want to dual boot without changing the recovery by doing partitions then one are out of luck.

one has to go USB instead of HDD. Puppy allow one to do frugal on hdd without having to change the boot from ms win to grub2.

Shinobar described in the grub4dosconfig thread how him made a back up of the Ms mbr and then installed grub4dos and then one included ms win in the boot menu so one have dual boot.

So if it does not do frugal install on NTFS and allow saving then it is too far from puppy for me to consider.

Even Slitaz that has been so adamant about not even reading ntfs has now accepted to do frugal in ntfs. So why not pussy?
or do I misunderstand your text?

I fail to get this text
im not going to provide an install method that extracts the squashfiles contents onto the hdd unless there is some kinda riot here on the forums and you all think it should be done as i dont see any benefit in doing it, also i think the entire debian-live base would die as i think it can only boot from the squashfiles. i cant really see any benefit in what would be considered a full normal uncompressed non frugal hdd install as i dont think the speed increase or boot times etc is improved etc

a new text has been entered while I wrote this.

slackfan you have to edit the text in the comments to pictures so them don't take up all the space now we have to scroll all over to the right to read
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sickgut

#283 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:As I get it your target are all the linux users that like Debian and them want to act as any standard Linux user do. Do a Full Install instead of a frugal install.

But if one are like 90% of all computer owners the Desktop or Laptop already has Ms Win 7 or WinXP on it and one want to dual boot without changing the recovery by doing partitions then one are out of luck.

one has to go USB instead of HDD. Puppy allow one to do frugal on hdd without having to change the boot from ms win to grub2.

Shinobar described in the grub4dosconfig thread how him made a back up of the Ms mbr and then installed grub4dos and then one included ms win in the boot menu so one have dual boot.

So if it does not do frugal install on NTFS and allow saving then it is too far from puppy for me to consider.

Even Slitaz that has been so adamant about not even reading ntfs has now accepted to do frugal in ntfs. So why not pussy?
or do I misunderstand your text?

I fail to get this text
im not going to provide an install method that extracts the squashfiles contents onto the hdd unless there is some kinda riot here on the forums and you all think it should be done as i dont see any benefit in doing it, also i think the entire debian-live base would die as i think it can only boot from the squashfiles. i cant really see any benefit in what would be considered a full normal uncompressed non frugal hdd install as i dont think the speed increase or boot times etc is improved etc

a new text has been entered while I wrote this.

slackfan you have to edit the text in the comments to pictures so them don't take up all the space now we have to scroll all over to the right to read
hi nooby
i dont understand the problem, pussy will auto detect whatever OS is installed and setup the dual boot automatically when you run the grub install program in the beta
and the backup of the mbr is easy to setup and ntfs frugal will work fine

nooby

#284 Post by nooby »

I'm not going to provide an install method that extracts the squashfiles
contents onto the hdd unless there is some kinda riot here on the forums
and you all think it should be done as i dont see any benefit in doing it,
also i think the entire debian-live base would die as i think it can only boot
from the squashfiles.

i cant really see any benefit in what would be considered a full normal
uncompressed non frugal hdd install as i dont think the speed increase or boot times etc is improved etc
I guess my ability to read English with many negatives in it hit my limit
of how to grasp it. I guess it solve itself or not when you have that iso
for download and I see how it behaves.

slackfan you have to edit the text in the comments to pictures
so them don't take up all the space now we have to scroll all over
to the right to read

Admin if slackfan maybe is on travel or at hard work please edit his comments for the pictures

sickgut

#285 Post by sickgut »

slackfan wrote:Hi Sickgut

you are attempting to attract a part of the Puppy users with a kind of promise «potentially a Puppy» but don't realize a Puppy at all if I really good understand what you are distributing...

a Puppy
  • runs entirely in RAM on the most computers
  • can remaster itself using a script or the following Dougal's methode
  • installs grub legacy and starts with it
  • runs as «root»
(as far I can thing that Slitaz is more Puppy as Pussy...)
  • can open and use easily each Puppy file

I also use all the puppy environment in my Debian installations (Squeeze and SID), esp. jwm, iceape, incl. didiwiki, osmo, mTpaint, Abiword, gnumeric, Rox filer, xine (I do it a long time else and prefer continue to use xine as in the old puppies until rel. 4.), mHWaveEd., etc. yet 2 .. 3 years ago! my screen see about as the screen of Turbo Pup but with an other choice of icones... it is not really easy to realize because Debian will install Gnome, KDE. or LXDE, and JWM is not really welcome in Debian (but better integrated in the new SID but it is possible to renounce to use a session manager and to simplify the login not really as in puppy but about (root and user name and password all the same with an extremely short 'word' and link for 'startx' with the same 'word' in /usr/bin :wink: ) but I would nether say that it is a puppy companion!

a Debian live CD can be made with the Debian standard application for live CD more or less automatically. it would of course be a reasonable selection to take the same applications as puppy and other smart distributions are using to optimize the size of the live CD! but it would be a Debian live CD having nothing to do with Puppy...

!
Obviouly you havent used pussy.
do you understand the fact that im asking for help to MAKE this a Puppy? that by definition means its not a puppy now.

1) pussy can run entirely in ram its an option at boot. how is this not running totally in ram?
2) pussy can be remastered much easier than the method you listed, its one icon you click on. Thats it. It captures whatever is in /live/cow (copy on write) and turns it into a squashfs, this squashfs is now part of the live system and will get loaded at boot time and layered just like the other core squashfiles.
3) the beta will install grub just like puppy, the alpha release (the current one) was only made for live cdrom and usb but the next release will be able to install to hdd with grub just like puppy
4) the default login for pussy is root. how is this not running as root?
5) the entire point of making pussy is that you dont have to stick with puppy pet files, you just apt-get install anything you want its easier and contains less bugware than installing pets. You can open pets still in pussy they can be opened in xarchiver (meowpactor).

i have used the auto debian live cd generator on the debian site where you pick your packages and it creates it for you. If i was to do that with the full 500mb pussy then what will happen is you will end up with a 3gb or so image, normal debian live cd's are extreemly bloated. if debian was naturally as small as puppy then i wouldnt have had to make pussy, even the 67mb version of pussy ends up being a 230mb iso and the 207mb version would be about 600mb. (remove the pussyxtra.squashfs to slip pussy down to the 207Mb version and remove the pussyxtra and the pussyos.squshfs files to end up with the 67mb version.)

pussy runs the jwm window manager just fine. pussy can run with the noautologin tag disabled so that you dont have to login at all, this is better than your suggested use of jwm wm using a login screen on the desktop

when i started this thread i genuinely sought the support from the dev community to take this base i have made and turn it into a puppy, if this was successfull we would have a puppy that has a debian kernel and therefore is 100% debian repo apt-get compatible, unlike dpup or lupu who claim to be able to use debian or ubuntu packages but cannot install most of them without modifyig them. the idea was to make this OS as close to puppy as possible. why is it so much different to use a OS that is still called a puppy like dpup that isnt built from puppy packages, its built from debian packages.....
and potentially pussy that uses a debian kernel but would contain all the same apps as puppy and do all the same things?
Barry himself has been quoted as saying that puppy is a collection of apps that have been chosen for functionality and speed.
it is pussies goal to have the exact same apps.

nooby

#286 Post by nooby »

I have been active in your threads because I support this part
when i started this thread i genuinely sought the support
from the dev community to take this base i have made
and turn it into a puppy, if this was successfull we would have
a puppy that has a debian kernel and therefore
is 100% debian repo apt-get compatible, unlike dpup or lupu
who claim to be able to use debian or ubuntu packages
but cannot install most of them without modifyig them.
the idea was to make this OS as close to puppy as possible.

Why would that not be a good thing. I am not computer savvy to know what to name that but I guess Puppy fans would say it is not puppy because Debian and You made it?

Why them don't care about your project I even fail to guess. I asked one of them and he said it is Debian and not Puppy.

I suggested it was due to the famous. "Not invented here" that seems to be a world wide way to react to new things.

I am thankful for what you have accomplished thus far and look forward to test the Beta. Any idea how far in the future?

sickgut

#287 Post by sickgut »

nooby wrote:I have been active in your threads because I support this part
when i started this thread i genuinely sought the support from the dev community to take this base i have made
and turn it into a puppy, if this was successfull we would have a puppy that has a debian kernel and therefore
is 100% debian repo apt-get compatible, unlike dpup or lupu who claim to be able to use debian or ubuntu packages
but cannot install most of them without modifyig them. the idea was to make this OS as close to puppy as possible.

Why would that not be a good thing. I am not computer savvy to know what to name that but I guess Puppy fans would say it is not puppy because Debian and You made it?

Why them don't care about your project I even fail to guess. I asked one of them and he said it is Debian and not Puppy.

I suggested it was due to the famous. "Not invented here" that seems to be a world wide way to react to new things.

I am thankful for what you have accomplished thus far and look forward to test the Beta. Any idea how far in the future?
hi nooby
ive got a few loose ends to tie up before i start working a solid few days on the beta, actually sitting down and making pussy only takes a day now i know what to do to be able to do that, discovering how to make it took months. So when i actually put the beta together it will probably only be a few days from start to finnish at the most.

its the scripts in the catroll-panel that i am spending time to get right and also the various grub booting options and the scripts for them. I also need to have a chat one on one with john3voltas when im ready to do that about his ideas with keyboard mapping, im not up to that bit yet but that will be soon.

i also have to wait another week or 2 for my personal internet connection to be connected i cant really apt-get 5 or six packages at a time every hour or so which is kinda my style when putting together pussy until i get this connected. i have been experimenting with leeching wifi and it was all going good until i discovered that when the weather is stormy i have no chance even with my signal booster and a 26dbi 2 metre tall antennae, so i have ordered my own connection and i cant start building pussy till its connected.

john3voltas has setup a forum for us already so there is no delay with that it will be ready to go as soon as i upload the beta.

realistically depending on my grasp of the grub booting issues (this is the major time consuming and fiddly bit) i think a beta release is probably a month away.

i dont understand peoples resentment towards my posting pussy here and asking for help to make it a puppy, i would have thought that the puppy community would jump at the opportunity to help me make this a puppy, it would certainly sort out the package management issues. The sad fact is that no matter how you build puppy either dpup or lupu or whatever, it will never be 100% compatible with a major distros repo due to the fact that the puppy kernel is highly customized and this causes incompatibilities. The only way to get 100% debian or ubuntu repo compatibility is to have a pure debian or ubuntu base and do not break compatibility with it, this is still highly customizable and in the case of the debian base almost as light and fast as puppy and i do believe that all of puppies goodness can be ported to this debian base and to the user using it they would not be able to tell the difference, except for the package manager working way way way better. But when i tell people this idea they either dont understand it or resent it yes because of what you said nooby: "it wasnt made here".

I also think ego has to do with it as i sense alot of developers dont want to do something unless it makes them famous or they get alot of credit, also it depends WHO is developing an idea as if you are a popular dev then everything you do is accepted, if you are not a well known developer then no matter what you do its bad because some other famous developer has said he doesnt approve. I am actually trying to HELP the puppy community by developing pussy as close to puppy as i can make it so i can show that perfect package management is possible. I cant help thinking that in a couple of years a more famous developer will attempt to do exactly what im doing now and but it will be more accepted because its puppy through and through if a lead puppy developer says it is.

Just imagine if barry released pussy instead of me. I bet 90% of the puppy community would jump at the chance to show their approval of pussy and its puppyness would not be in question. I have nothing against barry im just trying to prove a point of how people react to things.

nooby

#288 Post by nooby »

I dont understand peoples resentment towards my posting pussy here
and asking for help to make it a puppy, i would have thought that the puppy community
would jump at the opportunity to help me make this a puppy,
it would certainly sort out the package management issues.
That is why I have tried to keep the interest alive too.

It is a humbling experience that one can lead the Horse to the water well
but not force it to drink. One would expect them to do it out of thirst
but something goes on there in their head that them don't tell us.

dru5k1

#289 Post by dru5k1 »

um, sickgut, why don't you talk to barry about this? (and then obviously talk to the leading lupu developers too)

you've done alot of work slimming down debian-live, and if pussy-base could make a ~100mb "gui orientated" OS with all the perks of puppy I'm sure they'd love your input

(although I have to say: you've been slagging their "input" abit, so why wouldn't they slag yours? (we're talking about throwing away PPM, into which alot of work gone - so you're alternative better be GUI, Just As Small, and Better)

(I hope that Pussy+Cat+Meow are temporary names of a temporary project? - I tend to agree with the previous poster that control panels and the like should be "vanilla"-named for simplicity sake)

dru5k1

#290 Post by dru5k1 »

I have to add: I like what you've done so far and I like the debian package management idea *ALOT*

nooby

#291 Post by nooby »

Sickgut don't get me wrong now. I am in a competing os based on Debian.
Bodhi and I needed grub2 on a USB falsh to boot it.

It is about 350MB big and use Midori. I can use sudo to use leafpad to edit grub.cfg on the usb.

I can edit menu.lst on Sda3 so that worked without sudo. Not sure why.

I am User Bodhi that is automatically booted into. Bodhi is a restricted user
that have no password so not sure how safe that is.

I guess there is not way to be root from boot due to beign a "Live" distro iso
but maybe one can chage that in terminal but I don't know how so I can not test it.

I have no idea if Bodhi is good or bad. I just wanted to make you aware of that you can boot it easily and compare with your Pussy OS
Developer is Jeff Hoogland he has a blog about his Bodhi.

stu90

#292 Post by stu90 »

I must admit i haven't tried pussy linux yet nor have i kept up with its development - the upcoming 67mb and 207mb versions sound interesting, do those include drivers for troublesome broadcoms wifi and the like, what about base packages, as pussy is fully apt-get / debain compatible can base packages easily be removed?

cheers.

johnywhy

#293 Post by johnywhy »

keep up the great work, sickgut!
sickgut wrote:we would have a puppy that has a debian kernel and therefore is 100% debian repo apt-get compatible, unlike dpup or lupu who claim to be able to use debian or ubuntu packages but cannot install most of them without modifyig them.
speaking as an ignorant end-user, i have been wondering about puppy's claim of compatibility as well. one of the biggest complaints about microsoft is their "our way or the highway" philosophy, their infamous lack of compatibility with other software/OS's/formats. Is puppy doing the same thing?

sickgut, why do you need to turn pussy into a puppy? what does that mean? who cares if it's official puppy? what defines something as bonafide puppy anyway? if it was built with woof? or, if it uses the puppy kernel?

i'm not a puppy developer, but i question whether the items below should decide whether something is puppy or not:

--installs grub legacy and starts with it: What's so great about an obsolete grub? If pussy only uses grub4dos, or grub2, does that really make it not-puppy? i'm just an end-user, but why should puppy depend on obsolete software? "GRUB Legacy has become unmaintainable, due to messy code and design failures." http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html

--"runs as «root»". Barry is doing his fido thing, and slackpuppy as i understand, plans a similar thing for security. So i don't understand why this is a requirement for something to be puppy. I WANT the security of restricted user accounts. If pussy does not do restrcited user accounts, i will go with fido or slackpup.

--"can open and use easily each Puppy file": i guess that means pets? well, if you're making something that's repo apt-get compatible, then why need pets? Still that would be nice, re the embedded md5sum. But what do i know?

maybe you could bring back the "trim the fat" feature :)

anyway, as a dumb end-user looking for a super-lean, friendly OS, that runs great on my netbook , i don't care if it's a dog or a cat. Puppy is my OS of choice at the moment, but pussy might change that.
nooby wrote:but to be consistent with Puppy Linux it should refer to a Cat puppy so them maybe are referred to as kitten?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten_%28 ... guation%29

in ordinary language????? would become KittyCat Linux?
nooby, you were right on with kitten. The analog of Puppy is not KittyCat. It's Kitten, making it Kitten Linux, not KittyCat Linux.

Atle

#294 Post by Atle »

Great... :D Its a cool project. Keep up the good work Sickgut. Thumbs up

laika

#295 Post by laika »

sickgut wrote:pussy will always have the copy to ram option, but i dont use it much as my 2 main computers have 512mb ram and that doesnt leave alot of room left in ram to load up the full 500mb or whatever pussy with the extra apps squash in there, its enough with that squash removed but i actually wanna use the apps
Thanks for taking time to make that clear, sickgut.

Yeah, if it don't run from RAM, I don't want it :wink: I've been using various Puppies, Nimblex, SliTaz, and the like for quite a while now, and conventional installations just seem sluggish to me now.

What really captured my curiousity about Pussy Linux was that ability to copy to RAM *and* be 100% compatible with a fine mainstream distribution like Debian. I'm looking forward excitedly to the beta!

sickgut

#296 Post by sickgut »

johnywhy wrote:keep up the great work, sickgut!
sickgut wrote:we would have a puppy that has a debian kernel and therefore is 100% debian repo apt-get compatible, unlike dpup or lupu who claim to be able to use debian or ubuntu packages but cannot install most of them without modifyig them.
speaking as an ignorant end-user, i have been wondering about puppy's claim of compatibility as well. one of the biggest complaints about microsoft is their "our way or the highway" philosophy, their infamous lack of compatibility with other software/OS's/formats. Is puppy doing the same thing?

sickgut, why do you need to turn pussy into a puppy? what does that mean? who cares if it's official puppy? what defines something as bonafide puppy anyway? if it was built with woof? or, if it uses the puppy kernel?

i'm not a puppy developer, but i question whether the items below should decide whether something is puppy or not:

--installs grub legacy and starts with it: What's so great about an obsolete grub? If pussy only uses grub4dos, or grub2, does that really make it not-puppy? i'm just an end-user, but why should puppy depend on obsolete software? "GRUB Legacy has become unmaintainable, due to messy code and design failures." http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html

--"runs as «root»". Barry is doing his fido thing, and slackpuppy as i understand, plans a similar thing for security. So i don't understand why this is a requirement for something to be puppy. I WANT the security of restricted user accounts. If pussy does not do restrcited user accounts, i will go with fido or slackpup.

--"can open and use easily each Puppy file": i guess that means pets? well, if you're making something that's repo apt-get compatible, then why need pets? Still that would be nice, re the embedded md5sum. But what do i know?

maybe you could bring back the "trim the fat" feature :)

anyway, as a dumb end-user looking for a super-lean, friendly OS, that runs great on my netbook , i don't care if it's a dog or a cat. Puppy is my OS of choice at the moment, but pussy might change that.
nooby wrote:but to be consistent with Puppy Linux it should refer to a Cat puppy so them maybe are referred to as kitten?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten_%28 ... guation%29

in ordinary language????? would become KittyCat Linux?
nooby, you were right on with kitten. The analog of Puppy is not KittyCat. It's Kitten, making it Kitten Linux, not KittyCat Linux.
pussy has the whole multiuser thing but i put it together as root, so you login as root and you can use it like puppy, but you can also use the adduser command to add normal restricted users aswell (this is better if you use your pussy as a server so naughty normal users cant change or delete important stuff). so the multiuser thing is there if you need it but its can also be used like a puppy and not have to worry about using sudo and other such commandssimply by logging in as root

i too agree that it dont matter how you boot it this doesnt make it a pussy or a puppy if you use grub or some other nongrub

i dont NEED to turn pussy into a puppy, its going to go ahead with or without the puppy dev communities blessing, but it would be cool if if puppy devs did get on board so we can make a puppy that has the apt-get thing working nice as retro fitting my apt-get package i made a year or so ago onto a puppy works a little but is only about 35% compatible as any program that relies on kernel or debian specific stuff that puppy hasnt got simply wont work or you end up with a non bootable system, keeping a pure debian base and then fitting puppy on top of that is the only way to get apt-get to play nice with puppy. pussy will always be here if someone wants to give me a hand to make it a puppy, but either way pussy will move ahead

trimming the fat is an interesting thing to setup, in the catroll-panel there is a cleanup option that empties various dirs you dont really need, this can trim the fat from packages after install a little.... but.....
i think either to get timming to work ill need to modify the apt-get scripts to automatically hunt for dirs you dont need and files you dont need and remove them, or i can just expand on the current cleanup script, maybe one approach to doing this is spending a few days working out the dirs, file extentions and other things that are just bloat in the majority of packages, this can give us effective trimming to about 70%...

To get this working awesomely at say 90% or so automatically i may have to get very drunk one night and walk up to the mountian here and speak to this magical computer elf i once met.....
well.... im sure we will figure out a way to do this eventually.
when i say 70% effective i dont mean there is a 30% chance of breaking the package, i mean that we can get auto trimming to trim 70% of the fat in file size automatically

regarding your question about is puppies compatibility with other OSes similar to a microsoft thing, well i dont think so.... but....
all the compatibility issues result from 2 things, one is the highly customized kernel, this means anything from major distros repo that expects certain kernel stuff to be there wont work, and the other thing is its a minidistro, there are things missing everywhere that normal distros expect to be there. Puppy is a highly custom OS that was designed file per file to include only what you need to get puppy to be puppy with everthing else removed, this results in a fast small OS but at the expense of compatibility and most packages for it need to be heavily customized as well.

what spawned pussy isnt actually the fact that puppy cant install alot of major distros software but the fact that the devs seem to spend most their lives making custom packages for puppy, the sheer amount of labour required to do this results in a very small repo of packages that will work on puppy. we wouldnt need an apt-get system at all if there was a large selection of packages available for puppy when compared to the other distros.

Atle

#297 Post by Atle »

The challenge with all the pets spread around the forum, is that its virtually impossible to find them, and there is no version control neither, as in what pet works where.

There is a big job for the Puppy Community to do there.

I tried to make a little start, as in organizing some of the most popular ones into a "election" and then have the to be found in quickpet/news, but the response has been little or none, so i will remove the project.

The pets need proper descriptions and be categorized.

I personally suggest to look to . http://extensions.joomla.org/ to get a little inspiration on how to go about it.

It can of course be made however one like, but if one looks at the joomla system, it states what version of joomla the program works for. This could be done for Puppy as well.

If Sickgut gets a Puppy kind of Debian to work as said here and it gets topped up with a full easy access to the complete "pet" collection, we look at something awesome if you ask me.

Many of these pets makes it possible to do things in a simple way that does not exist in the bigger distroes, like the tiny scripts that turns your computer into a router. This is GOLD.[/quote]

nooby

#298 Post by nooby »

How does one know if a puppy is a Puppy Linux? IMHO
Barry Kauler approves it to be an official Puppy Linux distro!

Seems most logical to me. Then we have Derivates?
Puppeee by Jemimah for the Asus EEEPC
SnowPuppy by pemasu for the many kinds of machines.
Lupu 528 by 01Mick0 and Playdayz et al for many kinds of machines
Slacko by 01Mick0 based on Slackware
Next and others by IguLeder that is his own ideas played out in practice.

Pussy is a Debian derivative if one look at it as I get it.
Maybe it can be made into a puppy. I know too little to know.

But can Debian really use puppy pets? are them not highly puppy dependent?

Atle

#299 Post by Atle »

Pussy seems to be "born" here and no matter what "ethnic" history it has its still born here. Born here should mean it belongs to the Puppy family, no matter how different it looks.

If not anything else it can be officially adopted into the Puppy family.

If its a good and useful, why not? :D

Ray MK

#300 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Atle

Good idea and well said.

A friend had a big rottweiler and when the kids brought home a
stray kitten - guess who looked after it - the dog.

We can do the same - why not?

best regards - Ray