Frugal install: how to get rid of xorg error message?

Using applications, configuring, problems
dru5k1

Frugal install: how to get rid of xorg error message?

#1 Post by dru5k1 »

Hi, I've got a slight problem here with a frugal install of puppy 525. Every time I boot it I get an Xorg problem screen (you know, the one that you can just click enter to "ignore" and X starts fine) and I am wondering: Is there a way for me to stop this error message screen from appearing at every bootup?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

You have to shutdown your machine correctly, not pulling the power plug.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

dru5k1

#3 Post by dru5k1 »

oh come on man, I haven't been treating it like that

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#4 Post by Béèm »

If you have that issue you describe it means shutdown isn't done properly.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

make sure , that echo -n 'false' > /etc/.XLOADED
is correctly set in /usr/bin/xwin .

Also check if /etc/.XLOADED still is a readable normal text file , not something like 'Stale File' , which would need fsck and/or the removal of some "*.wh.*" files in /initrd directory in case of frugal installation .

dru5k1

#6 Post by dru5k1 »

hmm, unfortunately I've checked all of those and can't see a problem

(tbh I'm not sure 'exactly' what I was checking out there, but things there are just as you say they should be)

@beem: it actually has more to do with the fact that I loaded puppy onto this machine through copying a Puppy folder over from a usb-drive and loaded grub4dos onto it from there,

dru5k1

#7 Post by dru5k1 »

Seriously, just tell me where to look

#dmesg | tail tells me nothing, and I can see lots of xorg.configs in /etc

but I don't know about this .Xorgloaded file, and I really wanna get this thing sorted!

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

First, I assume you are shutting down with Menu - Shutdown - Power off Computer.

Next, I assume that when you do that, the computer drops to a black screen with a message of the settings already saved.

Then the computer powers off.

If all of that happens, then you may have a problem with some difference that got carried over from copying the files from the flash drive to the hard drive.

Also, I assume you installed Grub on the hard drive and it picked up your frugal install and created a menu entry for it in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Are we on the same page so far?

Also, what was the exact wording of the error message?

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

but I don't know about this .Xorgloaded file, and I really wanna get this thing sorted!
/ETC/dotXLOADED is a hidden file at the bottom of the /etc folder [ because it starts with the 'x' letter ] .

It is a hidden file .

Its purpose is to mark if X is running or not .

If the puter powers off suddenly the XLOADED mark would still have the content 'true' .

It is somewhat similar to the " fsckme.err " OR " fsckme.flg " file : determine if hard poweroff and do something .

xwin could look for the fsckme file and drop XLOADED nowerdays to give the same menu "ignore" OR "continue" .

WHEN REMASTERING :: !! IF COPYING /etc to the /tmp/remaster/etc directory , DELETE THAT .XLOADED FILE !!

dru5k1

#10 Post by dru5k1 »

ok, I'm just posting back to say that I've reinstalled puppy (switched to wary) and I was carefull to add pmedia=atahd to grubs menu.lst (even though I'm not sure that that was the problem, it was just set to ataflash before)

everything's fine now, sorry if I was a bug