Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1361 Post by pemasu »

Ok. You used debian version from debian repository. I have no knowledge of it, but my advice is still valid. Not sure if it works after that. But you can try.
For me debian repository is the library files storage, development files storage, utility apps storage, but I dont use big apps from there. The compatibility for puppies is always mystery. Might work or might even brake something in Puppy. They can drag a lot dependencies and usually the total size is much bigger than applications build in Puppy. I recommend to use as much Puppy built apps as you can.
If I dont find one, I try to compile it in Puppy.
So....there is huge advantage to have debian repository in compatibility in hands when you develop. It is not as useful for normal user if the Puppy pets provides most the user needs.
Sometimes it is easier to have kennel of puppies for different tasks.
I have even one puppy for wireless music and printing with pulseaudio through apple airport express. I could say I am proud of that project. It was my first puplet ever I built....about 2 years ago. Still working.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

thkn777

#1362 Post by thkn777 »

pemasu wrote:I would have recommend you to use sfs apps loader icon (in jwm) and downloaded LibreOffice it offers.
Or in menu > document > get libre office which downloads and creates the libre office sfs in your comp, if you have done savefile and you use frugal install method. Not sure how sfs works with full installs. Needs some tricks I think. There isnt any layered system needed in full installs.
I didn't click the sfs app loader as I mis-read and thought it was the sfs-mount-on-the-fly, doh. :roll:

As for the menu entry "get libre office": tried that and it said install to USB is not supported.

Th.

P.S. You are fast to respond! 8)
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz

thkn777

#1363 Post by thkn777 »

is there a fast way to 1-click-uninstall the OpenOffice? Or do I have to uninstall 1-by-1 everything that looks like openoffice in package manager?

Th.
LucidPuppy 5.2.8 "frugal" / DPup 5.x.9 "frugal" booting from USB flash drive using savefile. Acer Travelmate 5520G, 2GB RAM, ATI 2400XT, AMD TL-62 2x2.1GHz

pemasu

#1364 Post by pemasu »

If the open office deb dragged a lot other debs with it, you need to remove them one by one with puppy package manager uninstall system. I dont know any one click option. Sorry.

thkn777

#1365 Post by thkn777 »

pemasu wrote:If the open office deb dragged a lot other debs with it, you need to remove them one by one with puppy package manager uninstall system. I dont know any one click option. Sorry.
Thanks for clarification on this. Uninstalled everything manually one by one. Now loading the LibreOffice SFS.

Be back later in the evening.

Kind regards,
Th.

thkn777

#1366 Post by thkn777 »

Update: I HAD to try it first before taking a break... :wink:

- LibreOffice loaded with SFS apps loader
- 1st start: "need JRE"
- JRE loaded with SFS loader
- checking if both additional SFS files will be loaded at/after boot --> OK
- reboot
- starting LibreOffice Writer, Calc, Impress: runs like a charm.

--> great. Thanks for your help.

How do I switch LibreOffice to german WITH using that SFS file (sorry, newbie question :roll: but that would be the next thing in line to do).

Kind regards,
Th.

pemasu

#1367 Post by pemasu »

You will need the german language support deb files and install them. That 01mickos get libreoffice menu entry do that semiautomatically. But if you go to the download repo of libre office and chase the needed german language addon debs you should be good to do that manually. I havent done that manually, but it should work since 01mickos script provides it also. Studying his script the needed file names should be able to pinpoint from there. Someone might know the answer also. I have only once manually built libreoffice but i did that to create stripped down libre office, I didnt try to add extra language support into it.

edoc

#1368 Post by edoc »

pemasu wrote:James C. Thanks. So....using maxcpus=0 or nosmp should do the uniprocessor trick. Disabling IO APIC might have side effects so the maxcpus=0 could be reasonable.

Edit if I understood it right, maxcpus=1 restrict the cpus to one in smp kernel without disabling IO APIC. The description was little obscure for non-english person.
Is there any difference to "nosmp" or "maxpcus=0" if used with GRUB versus bootdos (or whatever is the option/replacement for GRUB)?

Also, is there a reason Puppy appears to be moving away from GRUB?

Could booting from GRUB with 5x9 explain why one of our laptops is locking up randomly?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

thkn777

#1369 Post by thkn777 »

OK *sigh* before I go for the wrong approach again I ask...

PROBLEM:
Skype fonts are way too small.

WHAT I DID SO FAR:
g**gled a bit and found this for example --> http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=39465

Basically it says one should use qtconfig-qt4 to change font size.

MY QUESTION:
Is this a valid answer for Puppy, too? If so - I didn't found a QT4 control panel and nothing that looked like doing the same in the desktop settings and so on. So how would I change the fonts (size most important) for Skype without destroying something else in Puppy?

Btw. - other applications look fine. It's just skype. But you know... teenagers without chat program... (and no - I am not(!) talking about myself :D )

Kind regards,
Th.

zulhilmi

#1370 Post by zulhilmi »

pemasu,

i need ur advixe.....i use 1micko gadget 0.5 to download libreoffice from ur repo....see the screencapture..
Attachments
libreoffice.jpg
(47.55 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

pemasu

#1371 Post by pemasu »

thkn777. You dont need anykind qtconfig application to fix it. One small config file will do. My attached pet installs that file: /root/.config/Trolltech.conf
I changed the font size to 14 in that file. You can edit the Trolltech.conf yourself, search the font row and change the font size as you want.
So...it needs only that one file. Qtconfig is just gui app to do the changes in nice graphical environment. But that file is only needed to change most of them.
Attachments
qtconfig-fix-0.0.1.pet
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 17:11, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#1372 Post by pemasu »

zulhilmi. I installed dpup version, which I attached again to this post. It downloads and installs Libre Office pet ok. When that pet installs, it extracts 157 mb compressed content. Pet is tar.gz compressed package. The installation size can be about 400-500 mb, I dont know exactly. Do you have that big savefile or do you use full install ? That big pet can be sensitive to your hw. It might be that that massive pet just dont install to everyone. I use always sfs versions of Libre Office. Ok, now I installed it as test purpose, but I am now pfix=ram state, so everything will be lost when I quit. So...I can play....test....freely.
And I have 4 gb ram so I dont lose the ram space quickly.

You can see what goes wrong by launching the app in console: /usr/local/ppack/script/ppackgui
Attachments
dpupppack-0.5.pet
(122.28 KiB) Downloaded 176 times

thkn777

#1373 Post by thkn777 »

@pemasu
Wonderful!

Some pointers:
- I went back to 12pt and it looks good now, only the initial login dialog has some very small captions for the input fields. Since everyone can guess that this is username/password I don't really care
- the PET places the file in /.config rather than /root/.config --> a simple copy/move solves this, BUT I still wanted to let you know it and in case other people stumble about that, they will know where to look for it
- it would have been enough to post the file, really. I appreciate your help, but is making a PET a lot of work? If so - if giving a simple file AND the download location might be easier for you.

General note:
getting Dpup up and running seems to be even more simple than Lupu528.

Kind regards,
Th.

thkn777

#1374 Post by thkn777 »

OK, here we go... next in list are:
- Wine: as I need the laptop to run Delphi: it's not in the standard repo's and not in the SFS apps loader, so how do I install it the right way?
- bluetooth: needed to connect mobile phone. I found the bluetooth-0.5 package in the puppy-exprimo repo and will give that a try. Any hints or should it run out of the box?

Yours,
Th.

pemasu

#1375 Post by pemasu »

thkn777. Thanks of your reply. I fixed and uploaded the pet. No..pet making is easy. It hasnt ever been easier than in Dpup Exprimo 5X9. Just create directory structure under the pet name folder with subfolders. Place the needed files and scripts into appropriate folders...like they are really. In the root folder (like qtconfig-fix-0.0.1) just right click and choose dir2pet. It starts pet creation.

I could say that making pet is easiest. You got explanation as bonus. :D

And usually every pet you upload there are others who benefit of it also. And I can also point them later to that uploaded pet.

pemasu

#1376 Post by pemasu »

I know nothing about wine. Someone else needs to help you in it. I wont touch to wine if I can. I have win 7 for rare finnish grammar and hyphenation needs with finnish Word. Thats about only instance I need win apps.

About bluetooth. Start here:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 411#566411

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 072#569072

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1377 Post by Béèm »

thkn777 wrote:OK, here we go... next in list are:
- Wine: as I need the laptop to run Delphi: it's not in the standard repo's and not in the SFS apps loader, so how do I install it the right way?
- bluetooth: needed to connect mobile phone. I found the bluetooth-0.5 package in the puppy-exprimo repo and will give that a try. Any hints or should it run out of the box?

Yours,
Th.
About wine.
Use the puppy search link in my sig to look for wine.
You'll find the thread of the guy who maintains the wine solution.
I think his name is green dome, but I am not sure.
I use for a very long time his sfs development.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

thkn777

#1378 Post by thkn777 »

@Beem
I am still somewhat confused about the many different Puppy versions. I tried a forum search on "wine", but added "dpup" and "exprimo" as additional search terms to make sure that I'll get something that works for Dpup. Found nothing. Hm. A more general search term might have helped here. After my wrong attempt to get LibreOffice running I thought it would be a good idea to ask here in this thread about wine for this special derivative.

Meanwhile I found the thread you were talking about --> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 26&t=53675

@pemasu
After adding debian-squeeze-main repository the package manager found wine_1.0.1-3.1 which I tried to install. I ended up with one missing library (libaudio.so.2) but don't think that will hurt too much. Menu entries are there for wine. I struggled a bit to start a M$ Windows application from ROX at first (still have to learn some basics :wink: ) but did some tests now and had some application up and running. Wine-gecko is (still) buggy for me... maybe the thread Beem pointed me to will give a newer version...

I am puzzled about the version numbers, though.
- wine_1.0.1-3.1 from debian-squeeze-main compared to
- wine-1.3.31-i486_v1.pet

What numbers are what? Is it v3.1 vs. v3.31? I can't imagine, that it's v1.0.1 vs. v1.3.31?! :shock: :?:

Thanks again for your patience and help,
Th.

pemasu

#1379 Post by pemasu »

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225
Start to read from the end. I think the wine there is quite new one. Whichever the numbers tell. If you get new working one, thats the only thing which counts.

James C

#1380 Post by James C »

edoc wrote: Is there any difference to "nosmp" or "maxpcus=0" if used with GRUB versus bootdos (or whatever is the option/replacement for GRUB)?
I only use good old legacy Grub, even with Grub 2 distros, and only tested Grub4dos briefly(disappointing) but my understanding is the same boot codes apply.I did use "nosmp" with Grub4dos.I multi-boot so much that my standard menu.lst entry on single-core hardware includes "nosmp" by default.It works for me but different hardware may need something different.

edoc wrote:Also, is there a reason Puppy appears to be moving away from GRUB?
Hopefully Puppy will keep legacy Grub for a good long while.If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. :lol:
I believe that Grub4dos was included for those users who install on vfat or ntfs partitions.

edoc wrote:Could booting from GRUB with 5x9 explain why one of our laptops is locking up randomly?
Error message while attempting to boot or locking up later? If the computer is locking up after booting Grub is out of the equation I would think.