Wary - Easy Install Flashplayer Webpage

Booting, installing, newbie
dru5k1

Wary - Easy Install Flashplayer Webpage

#1 Post by dru5k1 »

Hi, I'm using Wary and wondering if there is (+will be) a webpage hosting ongoing flashplayer updates (as .pets)

like this one (for lucid) http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

and this (for slacko) http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-slacko/

...in fact; since the .pet only overwrites /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so, would I be able to use the lucid or slacko page for this Wary installation?

(I'm handing over a computer with Puppy installed to a friend who knows next-to-nothing about installing/updating computers, and want to make it possible for him to update by himself)

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

Hi dru5K1,

I believe the directory your looking for is 'hidden' in the quirky subdir-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/

these flashplayers are available-

flashplayer-10.0.15.3-w5c.pet
flashplayer10-10.1.85.pet

:twisted:

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

That script that automatically updates Flash (downloading and replacing the .so file, etc.) that someone posted to the forum - unfortunately, I don't have a link to it :( - would probably work better, though I think it needs to be updated when they change 'major' version numbers of Flash (as when they changed from v10 to v11).

Maybe the .pet bigpup posted in this thread is based on it, or would help.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

I was going to suggest you try this. Not sure if it will work in Wary, so if you could try, you will be testing.
Flash player is on the way out but still being updated. Adobe keeps moving where it is on internet.
This little program searches for it, downloads, and then is used to install the latest version.
It is kind of auto-manual.

Download and install this Flash installer.
It will guide you on installing the latest Flash.
After installing pet.
Run from menu-> Internet -> Install Flashplayer.

It was written for Lucid Puppy 528, but should work on others.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ll-0.1.pet
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dru5k1

#5 Post by dru5k1 »

thanks guys and in particular darkcity for finding that page for me

installing .pets from that repository is insanely easy and I've shown him (my friend) how and he's happy, lets just hope that newer versions are always plonked on that page huh

I'll keep an eye on all the above pages to see the progress and send the relevant one to him to bookmark