Flock Web Browser

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
klhrevolutionist

Flock Web Browser

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

This is the development release of Flock web browser.
Keep the web browser you have & test ride this release.

download
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?c ... =flock.pup

Faq's
http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

8)

Update:
  • The above .pup no longer available or required. Just download Flock and install . . .
I have been using Flock now for 6 days since I got an early release. It is better than Firefox (well it is based on Firefox). Better than Mozilla (but not as stable) More useful than Opera (Opera is now closed source freeware).

Why if it where a swan it would be a whole flock of 'em . . .

What makes it so great?
Del.icio.us (also available as add on for Mozilla and Firefox I believe) This is a system known as social browsing which I first came across with "stumbleupon" and this improved my browsing about 10 fold. It takes a while to understand and use this and understand how this system of collaborative bookmarking works.

It is also worth installing the ad blocker (one of the few add ons available - however be assured that ALL the Firefox extensions and plug ins (check those out if you have not) will over the coming months be available for Flock

Flock demonstrates the power and potential of Open Source to be of use to the individual and the commercial sector. By having the code for Firefox available anyone can go away (in this case 10+1 geek ration of guys to gals) lock themselves in a garage with only time to order pizzas and create the legend of Flock - well it will be a legend . . .

If there is one program better than Flock - let me know . . . did I mention Flock is really good?
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 09 Jul 2006, 03:18, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mjg

#3 Post by mjg »

I installed this from source a few days ago and it works fine. It takes a while to get used to the bookmark management, but I can see the value of "social browsing" as they call it. The blogging tool is still a bit shaky, but handy enough.

I still prefer Firefox for now, but that's probably just from habit.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

If there is one program better than Flock - let me know
Minesweeper, Starcraft, and cd (as in cd /tmp/randomjunk).
Oh, and don't forget MS IE! Just kidding :wink:

Someday when I get caught up with all the stuff I still have to try, I'll try flock too. But first, I need to play with Wine. I downloaded it last night, but I didn't have time to mess with it yet. :(
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

John_Doe

#5 Post by John_Doe »

Mozilla, Firefox, Dillo, Flok and so on and so forth

IMHO "Opera 8.5" is by far the best, fastest, safest, most Efficient, Most Customizable" and Free. So what if it is closed source. It does not need any improvements.

A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago when I was still using Windows, I started with Opera 6.4 and keep updating until 7.4. Then I switched to Puppy (Thank God and Thank Barry for that) and the first thing I did was to downloaded Opera 7.4 for puppy and installed it. After 8.5 download and install and knowing that it is now free, I stopped looking for other browsers, Period as in "."

But this is just one gujy's HO.

krumpli

#6 Post by krumpli »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the dot pup for flock has been updated to the current beta release vs .07 (I think that is the current)?

Any problems just doing an linux install without a pup?

I have an elderly neighbor using Puppy 1.09. She is into photos and has some difficulty using upload tools. I thought this might be of some use to her.

Paul M

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

You can just upload the beta2 and use that - it works in Puppy2 - should in 1.09 too

Here is Flock running in Puppy2

The photo integration with flickr and photobucket is excellent - the rest is rather overwhelming but a lot to explore . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 09 Jul 2006, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Iguana

#8 Post by Iguana »

Is any other place to get this dotpup? The file no longer exist on YourFileHost.

krumpli

#9 Post by krumpli »

Thanks Lobster. Will give it a try. If I have any problems, will check back. I will install program into folder myroxapps unless I hear otherwise.

Paul M

krumpli

#10 Post by krumpli »

Sorry to be so slow to report back. Did do the Flock install and all went well. My neighbor has used Flock and for her skill level found it easier to post photos on the web, albeit only on the two sites presently tied into Flock.

Also very happy to hear (today) that there will be another barebones by Barry K as well as the upcoming CE (community edition) puppy. I was equally excited about this upcoming CE edition since it is following in the footsteps that in my opinion benefits the whole user group. A Barebones puppy and then add what you the user needs or wants.

Paul M

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

Good news Paul

:)

Perhaps you can add your experience / knowledge / tips here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FlockBrowser

- that is what CE (community edition) Puppy is about :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

softgun

#12 Post by softgun »

Anyone using Flock on a live CD? How does one install into the live CD?

krumpli

#13 Post by krumpli »

Softgun,
My apologies for the delay in getting back to this forum (visiting grandkids). My install was using the live dvd on my computer and on live cd on my neighbors. My user file (pup_sav) is located on a flash 1 gig usb drive while my neighbor has the user file on the hda2. I installed Flock in the same folder as my Firefox install (my-roxapps).

You will note that I am using past tense. I did upgrade to puppy barebones 2.01 (still live dvd) and no longer have Flock installed. However neighbor is still using Flock on Puppy vs 2.0 and is using live cd only. No HD install. Neighbor still uses FF as main browser and switches to Flock for photos.

Paul M

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »