SoundBlaster AWE32 kinda works, kinda doesn't

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jacklayne

SoundBlaster AWE32 kinda works, kinda doesn't

#1 Post by jacklayne »

Hi everybody. I have been a member of the forum for about a month or two now...just haven't posted yet.

I have tried out almost every flavor of Puppy Linux that I could get my hands on. Right now, I use Puppy 1.0.9CE and Puppy 2.0.1, plus (for musical composition) Windows XP Pro.

I find that my midi doesn't work correctly on any of the Puppies, unless, of course, there is something I have yet to find in this wonderful forum! I am quite distressed by this, because I would LIKE to be Microsoft-free, if I can be. Puppy is the absolute best Linux distro I've found, which is why I have perhaps ten (perhaps more!) cds of different Pups, including Empty Crust, Grafpup, Puppy 2.0.1, Puppy 1.0.9CE, Puppy 1.0.9 KDE, Murga's Mean Puppy, Pizza Pup, Kwiller Puppy, and NaNoWriMo Linux. I swear I have more, but I can't think of them just yet!

I don't have a clue how to recompile the kernel or even how to apply a patch! I know of a patch for AWE, but I didn't know what to do with it, so I didn't keep it.

If anyone could be helpful, it would be most appreciated! Oh, duh, I forgot to mention that I do, indeed, have sound on the 2.4.29 kernel, but not on the newer one(s?). This has limited my usage of some of the many many distros I've tried out.

Many thanks in advance,

Jack

fluxit

#2 Post by fluxit »

Hi Jack,

You need to install awesfxhttp://www.kpunet.net/~jackp/awesfx0.5b.pup and you will also need one or more bankshttp://www.kpunet.net/~jackp/defaultbnks.zip(almost any other .bnk or .sf2 will work just like windows/dos.)

Then just "sfxload [bankfilename]"(no quotes or brackets) at a bash prompt and you are set.

I tested this under 1.09CE and it works fine here with an AWE32 pnp w/8M ram.

As for Puppy 2.x audio, try "modprobe snd-sbawe". Alsa has some problems detecting isa cards in 2.x, but putting that modprobe line in /etc/rc.local should have you up and running.

--Lee

rcsteiner

#3 Post by rcsteiner »

fluxit wrote:As for Puppy 2.x audio, try "modprobe snd-sbawe". Alsa has some problems detecting isa cards in 2.x, but putting that modprobe line in /etc/rc.local should have you up and running.

The above line returns no output (no errors, no positive response), but I'm still not hearing sound on my Puppy 2.02 system (PPro/200 with vanilla ISA SB AWE32). No sound at all in Xgalaga, and Xine dies whenever I try to play a sound file.

fluxit

#4 Post by fluxit »

rcsteiner,

What happens if you aplay /usr/share/audio/generic.wav ? What does does your /proc/asound/cards file contain?

--Lee

rcsteiner

#5 Post by rcsteiner »

fluxit wrote:What happens if you aplay /usr/share/audio/generic.wav ?

Before I do the modprobe, I see this:

sh-3.1# aplay /usr/share/audio/generic.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:670:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: sh-3.1# aplay /usr/share/audio/generic.wav
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:391:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1070:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2146:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such device
No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:391:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1070:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3479:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3947:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2146:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such device

After I do the modprobe, I see this:

Playing WAVE '/usr/share/audio/generic.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

No sound, though.
fluxit wrote: What does does your /proc/asound/cards file contain?
sh-3.1# cat cards
0 [S16 ]: SB AWE - Sound Blaster 16
Sound Blaster 16 at 0x220, irq 5, dma 1&5

Looks right, but no go. I get sound in Windows and Mandrake 8.2. No, I don't have the speaker plugged into the wrong hole of the sound card just for booting puppy. :-)

fluxit

#6 Post by fluxit »

rcsteiner wrote:
fluxit wrote:As for Puppy 2.x audio, try "modprobe snd-sbawe". Alsa has some problems detecting isa cards in 2.x, but putting that modprobe line in /etc/rc.local should have you up and running.

The above line returns no output (no errors, no positive response), but I'm still not hearing sound on my Puppy 2.02 system (PPro/200 with vanilla ISA SB AWE32). No sound at all in Xgalaga, and Xine dies whenever I try to play a sound file.
I forgot to mention, no output equals a positive response when inserting a module for an internal(non-hotpluggable) device. If your SB had not been recognized modprobe would have thrown an error.
In addition, gxine dying probably isn't related to your sound problem. Are you using the Xvesa xserver by any chance?

This is a PNP AWE32 right? Have you tried alsamixer, to see if your volume is turned up?
rcsteiner wrote:Before I do the modprobe, I see this:

Ok, the driver is definitely not loading at boot time.

rcsteiner

#7 Post by rcsteiner »

fluxit wrote:I forgot to mention, no output equals a positive response when inserting a module for an internal(non-hotpluggable) device. If your SB had not been recognized modprobe would have thrown an error.
I actually figured that was the case. Thanks for the confirmation, tho.
fluxit wrote:In addition, gxine dying probably isn't related to your sound problem. Are you using the Xvesa xserver by any chance?
Yup. Xvesa server running @ 1024x768x16 using a 4MB Matrox MGA Millenium. The other box I've tried this one (both are Compaq Deskpro 6200s) shows the exact same symptoms. The other boxes can't boot from CD (no BIOS support for it and no newer BIOS rev to flash), so they aren't viable guinea pigs for Puppy right now.
fluxit wrote:This is a PNP AWE32 right? Have you tried alsamixer, to see if your volume is turned up?
Heh. Um. You have no idea how stupid I'll feel if that is the answer. :-)

Anyway - the card is either a PnP AWE32 or a PnP AWE64. I have six PPro boxes (5 alive, 1 dead), and the mix is about 50/50. They all behave roughly the same. Except for the one in the dead box, I guess.
fluxit wrote:
rcsteiner wrote:Before I do the modprobe, I see this:

Ok, the driver is definitely not loading at boot time.
Doesn't look like it. Once I get the ability to write to SCSI drives (if that ever happens, anyway) I can make the change permanent. I don't use sound all that much on that box, anyway. I'm just glad my video and NIC are detected and working properly. :-)

Thanks for the assistance! I'll check things out (the mixer, etc.) when I get home in a few hours.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: SoundBlaster AWE32 kinda works, kinda doesn't

#8 Post by Lobster »

I find that my midi doesn't work correctly on any of the Puppies, unless, of course, there is something I have yet to find in this wonderful forum!
Make sure you have the timidity midi player installed (it is a pupget)

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rcsteiner

#9 Post by rcsteiner »

fluxit wrote:Have you tried alsamixer, to see if your volume is turned up?
Alsamixer appears to be a command-line utility with no man page or other documentation on the system (default Puppy 2.02). Not very useful.

Xtmix was more helpful. I now am heading things from aplay and XMMS. Thanks for the hint!! :-)

(Yes, I feel stupid)

fluxit

#10 Post by fluxit »

rcsteiner wrote:
fluxit wrote:In addition, gxine dying probably isn't related to your sound problem. Are you using the Xvesa xserver by any chance?
Yup. Xvesa server running @ 1024x768x16 using a 4MB Matrox MGA Millenium. The other box I've tried this one (both are Compaq Deskpro 6200s) shows the exact same symptoms. The other boxes can't boot from CD (no BIOS support for it and no newer BIOS rev to flash), so they aren't viable guinea pigs for Puppy right now.
All you need to do is to create a boot floppy 8).

Regarding gxine, try this if you are interested: Open the menu option File,Preferences.... Set your experience_level to "Master of the known universe." Click the post_plugins tab. Set audio_visualization to "None." Click Save. At this point if you close gxine and run it again you will most likely be able to play sound files with it(including streams.) Another option that may make gxine more compatible with Xvesa is to once again open the preferences dialog(keep it in Master of the known universe.) Click the video tab. Set driver to "xshm." Click Save. This may allow you to play videos(performance will likely be poor) if you were otherwise not able. I have a Matrox Millenium around here somewhere, it wasn't a bad card for its time. I haven't tried the Millenium with Puppy so YMMV concerning the above instructions.

Does Xorg not work for you? I've noticed quite a few posts in the past by people who claimed that the Xorg wizard would "hang" at a black screen with a blinking cursor when it was supposed to be probing. While this does actually happen on occasion, I've seen the probing take longer than a minute on some hardware before proceeding to the "resolution selection" screen. In addition, in some cases the Xorg wizard will only work properly if Xvesa has not been tried before it(ie you need a cold boot.)
Alsamixer appears to be a command-line utility with no man page or other documentation on the system (default Puppy 2.02). Not very useful.
There is a method to my madness. Alsamixer will often work in cases where Xtmix and others won't, as it is a "native" alsa utility. IIRC Xtmix uses the oss emulation instead. Alsamixer is really not so terrible. Granted, at the very least a help screen(or press F1 for help- no, there isn't any :) ) would be nice but the controls are simple. FYI Cursor-Left/Right selects the desired control. Spacebar mutes/unmutes(if applicable) the selected control. Cursor-Up/Down changes the level. Tab changes the current "mode." Esc to exit.
I now am heading things from aplay and XMMS. Thanks for the hint!! Smile

(Yes, I feel stupid)
Hey, at least it was plugged in. 8) Sorry about the ego.

rcsteiner

#11 Post by rcsteiner »

fluxit wrote:
rcsteiner wrote: Yup. Xvesa server running @ 1024x768x16 using a 4MB Matrox MGA Millenium. The other box I've tried this one (both are Compaq Deskpro 6200s) shows the exact same symptoms. The other boxes can't boot from CD (no BIOS support for it and no newer BIOS rev to flash), so they aren't viable guinea pigs for Puppy right now.
All you need to do is to create a boot floppy 8).
Yes, that's something I plan on exploring soon. I've also just discovered that DSL (Damn Small Linux) has access to Synaptic, which makes it a lot more expandable than I thought, so Puppy has competition again. :-)
fluxit wrote:Does Xorg not work for you?
I've just not bothered to try it, since Xvesa seemed to work fine, and since I'm working with relatively little RAM (168MB and 192MB).

Xine is working now, BTW, both for movies and sound. I think it was closing because of the lack of defined sound hardware, not because of Xvesa (in my case, anyway).
fluxit wrote:
There is a method to my madness. Alsamixer will often work in cases where Xtmix and others won't, as it is a "native" alsa utility. IIRC Xtmix uses the oss emulation instead. Alsamixer is really not so terrible. Granted, at the very least a help screen(or press F1 for help- no, there isn't any :) ) would be nice but the controls are simple. FYI Cursor-Left/Right selects the desired control. Spacebar mutes/unmutes(if applicable) the selected control. Cursor-Up/Down changes the level. Tab changes the current "mode." Esc to exit.
If I saw a console-mode screen from alsamixer or *any* form of usable interface, there wouldn't be an issue (I use console mode apps all the time, and some of my favorite programs are things like Links, mc, Pine, NFTP, slrn, etc.), but instead of a text screen all it gives me is an error message telling me I need to specify a device and an immediate return to the command prompt. That's even after a successful modprobe. Using the -h option provides a list of other options (-c, etc.), but doesn't do a good job of telling me what the options are for. How do I know what card number to provide? Etc. I messed with it for 5-10 minutes trying various combinations with no success. Note that Alsa doesn't detect my sound card, so that might be a factor.
fluxit wrote:
I now am heading things from aplay and XMMS. Thanks for the hint!! Smile

(Yes, I feel stupid)
Hey, at least it was plugged in. 8) Sorry about the ego.
It's gotta happen sometime. :-)

I've been using Linux since SLS 0.99, but it's been a while since I've played around with a bunch of new distros (I stopped looking seriously the last time when I ran into Mandrake 8.2 which detected and used EVERY card I had!), and the rust is really showing at times. Puppy is REALLY cool, though. I have a copy now in my briefcase alongside my copies of DSL, Ultimate Boot CD, and my own emergency disk. Good stuff...

kleung21

This Fix also worked for me SB64AWE

#12 Post by kleung21 »

Hi there, I just wanted to say that this thread helped me solve my problem as well.

I have a sound blaster 64 AWE - PCI on an older P3 desktop running puppy 2.12 in Pupmode 2 (full hard drive install).

The sound would not play even though I tried to adjust volume through puppy. The ALSA sound wizard would not detect my audio card and modprobe didn't have any error codes.

To get sound working, I have to

1) run the command "modprobe snd-sbawe"
2) run alsamixer to increase the master volume

To add this to the startup rc.local script, I add the following commands

modprobe snd-sbawe
# the following 2 commands set some of the default sound
# volume levels, upon initialization, they default to 0
amixer set Master 75%
amixer set PCM 50%

HOWEVER, the MASTER volume was set to 0 when I used ALSAMIXER to check the settings. Turn up the master volume and now I can hear sound.

Thanks,

Kevin