Lucid Puppy Broke =(

Using applications, configuring, problems
MeowMeow

Lucid Puppy Broke =(

#1 Post by MeowMeow »

I'm so frustrated, this isn't the first time stuff has randomly stopped working. Actually I'm yet to see a puppy linux that works out the box.

ok, so I was trying to get the touchscreen working. Which I did eventually, I went to un-install the .PETs I downloaded that I didn't end up needing/didn't appear to do anything.
One of these files I thought was a tablet config GTK program(had gtk in the file name). I couldn't find what it installed and at this point the touchscreen was working well enough so I figured I wouldn't need it.

After restarting, nothing works and no desktop.
It seems to boot fine into X. There is a cursor, the bottom and side panels are there. But there is no desktop picture and the Fbpanel is gone too.
Some applications open, but most don't. I can't even open Rox filer or anything in the setup menu.

When I go into terminal and type 'rox' I get:
/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling the OS?
I really don't want to reinstall puppy, its a major headache and if it comes to that I guess I'll put windows xp back on it. At least windows works.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code: Select all

find /usr -iname "libgtk*" | sort
If you don't know how the above works :
I really don't want to reinstall puppy, its a major headache and if it comes to that I guess I'll put windows xp back on it. At least windows works.
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

ally

#3 Post by ally »

just for interest, if you had to 're-install', it takes seconds not all day!

:)

H4LF82

#4 Post by H4LF82 »

agreed ally. Puppy can reinstall super-fast compared to windows.

I dont know what your issue is MeowMeow, or how to solve it, but I know this...

if you had to install puppy 5 times in a row it will likely take less time than 1 install of windows.

bear through the frustration as best as you can---someone here WILL be able to help you...setting up puppy is not always easy, but usually it is and its ALWAYS worth the effort, no matter how hard it is.

If I have learned anything with puppy Linux, it is that!

:D
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

MeowMeow

#5 Post by MeowMeow »

The netbook I installed it on doesn't have a disk drive, nor does my other desktop. After a long search I found a .exe install that I could run from windows, then for some reason the netbook didn't read the usb stick for that particular puppy. I can't remember how I solved it, but I remember several attempts and a lot of frustration.
Installing and setting up puppy takes me longer than windows. On windows it wouldn't take a day to get a gameboy emulator working. Its just far simpler to find and install things on windows; No having to compile apps, then not having them not work or failing to compile.

What I ment by windows working is, I have never seen it break in a way that it looks like something fundamentally has gone missing like I have seen with puppy. Also the applications thing. Everything just takes longer in linux.

I don't mean to be bashing linux, the frustration is probably worth it. I just don't know linux as well as windows.

MeowMeow

#6 Post by MeowMeow »

Find /usr -iname "libgtk*" |sort returns:

/usr/include/gtkhtml-2.0/lbgtkhtml
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immoodule-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.immodules
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
/usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0
/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.a
/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so
/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so.0
/usr/lib/libgtkhtml-2.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.1a
/usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so
/usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/libgtkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgtksourceview--2.0.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libgtkspell.a
/usr/lib/libgtkspell.so
/usr/lib/libgtkspell.so.0
/usr/lib/libgtkspell.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.la
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.0
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-2.0.pc
/usr/share/doc/libgtk2.0-dev
/usr/share/doc/libgtkmm-2.4-dev
/usr/share/doc/libgtksourceview2.0-dev
/usr/share/doc/libgtkspell-dev

H4LF82

#7 Post by H4LF82 »

Its just far simpler to find and install things on windows; No having to compile apps, then not having them not work or failing to compile
On Lucid Puppy, one does not ever need to compile anything. Everything you could hope to have comes as an installable package called a .pet
The netbook I installed it on doesn't have a disk drive, nor does my other desktop
...make me curious as to which distro you are trying to get running? That information might be helpful...
After a long search I found a .exe install that I could run from windows, then for some reason the netbook didn't read the usb stick for that particular puppy. I can't remember how I solved it, but I remember several attempts and a lot of frustration.
I remember a similar struggle I once had---does your netbook bios settings allow for boot from USB?
What I ment by windows working is, I have never seen it break in a way that it looks like something fundamentally has gone missing like I have seen with puppy.

Is that right? Do you use windows much?

Ever heard of a virus? What about a Trojan? or a Worm? Those things are 100% more likely to be encountered on a windows machine than on Puppy---talking about it looking like something has gone fundamentally wrong...just wait until you experience your first Trojan!!
Also the applications thing. Everything just takes longer in linux.
....oh yes....there IS a learning curve to consider here MeowMeow, just like with anything else. Think back and you will remember that you did not sit down at your windows machine the first time and know exactly what you were doing either. It takes time. When I first started making the gradual move from windows to puppy, it was not without some troubles, and a quick search of my posts will show you that I am no stranger to trouble even today years and years later... and yet I still will GLADLY take the "puppy headache" over the "windows lethargy" any day of the week, even after years of the same headache.
I don't mean to be bashing linux, the frustration is probably worth it. I just don't know linux as well as windows.
I feel your frustration, so take a deep breath and count to ten. Use your frustration for good, not for evil--channel all that negative energy into telling us about your system, what distro you are using, what happens at each step along the way. Chapter and verse. Use your energy to INFORM us so that we may be better equipped TO help you, instead of just telling us how mad you are and all the reasons why puppy is harder than and inferior to windows. You have the opportunity to say anything you want to say...choosing to say things that are informative rather than pejorative may be helpful. We like information here. Complaints are handled by another forum...

find /usr -iname "libgtk*" | sort
that is a "short code", a pipelined line of code...which means it was written by an ADVANCED user. I have NO IDEA what that line of code means, but I will bet Karl Godt could tell you in his sleep. When an advanced user like Karl Godt creates advanced code for a guest user like us, it is customary to say "thank you" at least, and failure to do so is considered very rude, and very likely will result in you not getting the help you need.

Perhaps if you could tell us more about your system, what distro you are trying, we would have the information we need to further assist you.

Perhaps if you said please or thank you, we would even want to!!

Cheers! and thank you Karl Godt!! Im sure my friend MeowMeow here simply got distracted for a moment and forgot to say it himself or perhaps he could not recognize the help he was getting as the help that it was, since pipelined code seems ambiguous to the untrained eye.

Thank you Karl Godt!!
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

Seems that
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.0
is missing
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

ln -s /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.0 /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
should do the trick .

bill

Lucid Puppy Broke =(

#9 Post by bill »

Well MeowMeow,You are not the only one who has petted his Puppy ,the wrong way and ended up with a disaster,but all is not lost if you will follow a step by step No Save Tutorial that some very clever forum member ? was kind enough to post a while back.Of course it requires a little effort but if you can setup your Lucid the way of the link posted,it will never murder your Puppy unless you hit your SAVE button ,as everything you have done in error will
simply be sent to the bit bucket,no harm,no fowl.It just depends on your decision to try it.cheers

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0&start=30

MeowMeow

#10 Post by MeowMeow »

Yeah, I should have put my system info:
Its running a hard drive install of Puppy lucid on acer travelmate c110.

The netbook does let you boot from the usb. The usbs made from what ever version I ended up with on my other windows machine didn't detect(it was a Japan version). I got it working on another version, can't remember how it was a few months ago.
Ever heard of a virus? What about a Trojan? or a Worm?
This is actually why I stopped running windows a few years back, I got really sick of the constant maintenance. I switched to mac os X, which was an easy switch. I was expecting a learning curve with linux, just not as steep as it has been. Patience seems to be the key, I'm sure I'll get there.
Think back and you will remember that you did not sit down at your windows machine the first time and know exactly what you were doing either.
That takes me back. I don't think I knew really how to use the first windows machine we had, my older brother did most things for me. We didn't use it for much, we just wanted to theme the shit out of it and get our pokemon fix! :lol:

Thanks Karl Godt, /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 is now on the list when I run the find /usr -iname "libgtk" | sort.
I'm not sure why it was gone in the first place. Now when I put 'rox' into terminal it throws a similar error as before:

/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Do I have to use the same steps as before just swapping 'libgtk' with 'libgdk'??

find /usr -iname "libgdk*" | sort Returns:

/usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.1a
/usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so
/usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1
/usr/lib/libgdkmm-2.4.so.1.1.0
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.1a
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.2000.0
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.1a
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0.2000.0
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.a
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.1a
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so
/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.0

`f00

#11 Post by `f00 »

hi MeowMeow

When gtk breaks, it's very :( - lots of apps (including rox) depend on it. It can be a bit of a learning to fix it without gui tools (like a file manager!)

Two file managers that don't depend on gtk are mc (terminal-based) and xfe (uses fltk), they both should be available for lucid.

You could try re-installing the troublesome dotpet (and back up it's /root/.packages/*.files summary before uninstalling so you have an idea of what was in it, what changes were made and so on). Sometimes that can help to get things functional.

If you had a frugal install, I'd say to look in /initrd/pup_ro2 for the missing (original) libs/links but that advice is likely not useful in your case.

good luck in any case..

MeowMeow

#12 Post by MeowMeow »

You could try re-installing the troublesome dotpet
I don't have it, I must have deleted it before uninstalling.
Is it possible to just install a new gtk over the old one? If so how would I mount a usb drive in terminal and copy it to root so I could install it?

`f00

#13 Post by `f00 »

Looking at what Karl did for the missing sym /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 - see his post above..

and do a similar operation, namely

ln -s /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2000.0 /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
to fix the missing /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0

Not real sure about the terminal cmd for mounting, see if mount --help gives any info. I do recall using filemnt to open sfs and savefiles (.2fs etc) in xfe

Probably best to stick with the OEM gtk for your version of lucid

Karl Godt

#14 Post by Karl Godt »

.so files are links to switch shared libraries for gcc compiler while compiling .
.so.0 files are the real needed runtime links . Might be as well so.1 , so.2 for different libraries and so on .

sSeems that
the runtime links

/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

need also to be created manually .

MeowMeow

#15 Post by MeowMeow »

Ok, I've added:

/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

Then I re-booted and this time the desktop is grey and an error popped up saying:

Error loading backdrop image:
Unable to load image-loading module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so: cannot open shared object file : no such file or directory
Backdrop removed.

When I try to change the desktop picture it gives the same error no matter what picture type.

Rox now can open with missing icons (all icons are upside down triangles with a ? in the middle).
The Puppy package Manager can now open.
FireFox still can't open.
Probably best to stick with the OEM gtk for your version of lucid
I don't care about having a different version of gtk, I was just thinking that it may be easier to install the same version or similar to patch up all the missing files as I don't know how much is missing.

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

http://packages.ubuntu.com/
You might mount the lupu*.sfs to copy the missing files into your installation .