G-Pen F610 graphics tablet doesn't move cursor properly

Using applications, configuring, problems
ThreeEightTwo

G-Pen F610 graphics tablet doesn't move cursor properly

#1 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Hi. I'm having a problem using my graphics tablet in Precise 5.7.1. The tablet is a Genius G-Pen F610.

Kind of hard to explain, so I'll do my best. The accuracy between the actual graphics pen and the drawing cursor on the screen almost never stay in sync with each other. It becomes worse whenever I have to move the pen across the tablet's surface quickly.

What ends up happening is that the pointing cursor will end up, say, at the very bottom-right corner of the screen while the pen will be slightly past the bottom-right center. Or, the cursor will be slightly past right-center with the pen at the very edge of the tablet's drawing border, constantly forcing me to swing the pen back to the left side and have more drawing room.

It's either the pen falling behind the speed of the pointing cursor or vise-versa. I've tried live-booting Puppy on other computers using the same tablet, and it's always the same problem. Is there any way around this?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Only an idea, because I do not have this device. I assume it works like a touchpad on a laptop.

Try changing the settings in:
menu->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Configure Your Touchpad
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ThreeEightTwo

#3 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

It........kinda worked. I managed to change the "Acceleration" field to 0 so the cursor wouldn't lunge fast at all when it's moved faster than 4 pixels. Now it never reaches the edges of the screens. It kind of creates a different problem, as it still complicates the process of taking notes (which is what I used my computer for).

Any other suggestions?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well might be needing proper X support as it sounds like its running on kernel driver only so in mouse mode.

Thing is what is it using under the hood...there is lots of information for setting up wacom tablets but Have seen nothing for others.

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#5 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Lack of support under X makes sense (never thought of that). Xubuntu uses my tablet properly, but I had to abandon it due to having problems with properly shutting down the computer.

Are there any extra utilities I can use that would make it work the way it should? I've even thought about using it in WinXP running under a virtual emulator like QEMU or Virtualbox, but I've always had problems just getting them to run in Puppy.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Xubuntu... if you happened to have a copy of the xorg.conf from that it might help...usually its a case of a few additions to it plus the presense of a suitable Xorg driver. For wacom the big distros tend to include configs by default as it does no harm to do so and I wonder if underneath it is in fact a wacom. Again in Xubuntu if kernel drivers were listed it would show what is loaded.
Does lsmod in a terminal or hardinfo show what driver is loading in puppy?
(if it is a wacom there is a great 'how to' thread on here)
mike

ThreeEightTwo

#7 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

I can probably get the Xorg.conf file from a Xubuntu live boot.

As for the tablet itself, HardInfo shows the following under Devices/Input Devices:

WALCOM International Corps. Slim Tablet
Type: Mouse
Bus: 0x3
Vendor: 172f
Product: 0x34
Version: 0x110

Looking at the loaded kernel modules, I don't really know what some of the names of them really mean.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16491
taking WALCOM as a typo of WACOM this thread should be the one to help.

In lsmod the driver would be called wacom which should be loading as otherwise it would do nothing.

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#9 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

I can't seem to find anything there that corresponds to the kernel version I have (considering I'm reading that thread right??). Or do I just go ahead and use the latest one made for Precise, even if it's slightly older?

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Hmm well depmod and see if you have a wacom loaded.
If you do then you only need the xorg stuff.

uname -a

will tell you the kernel version...if the number matches you should be fine

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#11 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Kernel version is 3.9.11

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Ok yes a recent one.... looks like its time for an update

Post a request in that thread giving the puppy/kernel version.

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#13 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Done.

Forgot to mention, lsmod lists kernel module "hid_waltop". It should be the tablet.

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Ok well its not a typo ... waltop it is...

some not so recent information but looks like its just a case of an addition to the xorg configuration....

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 94056.html

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#15 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

Do I also create the 70-wizardpen.conf file with the mentioned contents within it at /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d?

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

in theory yes... puppy often uses the traditional xorg.conf but should use xorg.conf.d

mike

ThreeEightTwo

#17 Post by ThreeEightTwo »

I still have more or less the same problem, it just seems to happen less often (a good start). There's still a problem with the pointing cursor not corresponding to the position of the tablet pen (like not being all the way against a corner of the screen when the pen is), but at least it's more bearable.

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Hmm with our wacom there is relative mode and something like screen... ie one moves from where the pen becomes active like a mouse and the other has direct relation of tablet surface to screen.

Perhaps tweaking settings time and some googling if it is indeed having some effect.

mike