Booting, installing, newbie
Minni

thus far - 2 issues with Live CD 528.005

#1 Post by Minni »

Issue 1:

When I tried connecting Network, this displayed:

X
eth0
The network does exist. However failed to negotiate with DHCP server.
Driver: tg3
Bus: pci
Broadcom Tigon3
ifconfig: bad address 'eth0'

Issue 2:

When I chose Reboot, it displayed:

You can now save session as blah blah.

But before I got a chance to read even 1/2 the display (I'm a very slow reader) it proceeded to boot up WinXP.

So to take it one step at a time, how do I correctly set up the network? I have a very slow 1mb DSL connection
As a rule, do ISP support personnel know how to help set up connections for Linux users?

P.S. Forgot to add - that my thinkpad's DVD drive doesn't open until I press Power-On button, but by then, WinXP already starts launching. Which means I must first bootup to WinXP, and first afterward insert the LiveCD, and then choose Reboot. Unless perhaps there's a manual way to open the DVD drive?

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Minni:

Mate please....post your hardware specs.
Bloody infuriating.
I suspect it's pretty old...but nothing is beyond us.

Happy to help....but let's make some magic happen eh!

I would also try newer Lucids.
Even the 3 Headed Dog version maybe.

Great versions.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Downloads here:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dc28t2r ... es-5.2.8.6

::::::::

Tigon3

" The driver is included in the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel.
If you use a standard kernel, you might try the following command
as root"

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... rd-270233/

So Lucid should have it.

::::::

Try these as well.

Give Dpup Exprimo a go.
This version.

squeeze-5.X.3.4.12-SCSI.iso

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... imo5X3412/

""""

Slacko

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/slacko-5.3.3.2/

""

IF YOU NEED HELP ...
or how to get quick answers here on the Puppy Forum.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90471

Chris.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Ok are you using an ethernet modem or a router?
I think with the former it may not be handling DHCP (which assigns an IP to the machine) or may even need a different connection method...the auto connect tends to assume a router is in use.

There is usually a little hole on the front of a dvd drive where you can insert a paperclip to manually open the drawer.

Shutdown options are supposed to wait for you...not sure whats happening there.
If its a command line shutdown you can toggle choices with arrow keys but if its on a timer it will still carry on ...after the first choice it should wait for you...

mike

Fossil

#4 Post by Fossil »

Minni, You have my sympathy's regarding slow broadband. Mine is half that of yours (I live way out in the sticks!) downloading anything can be a nightmare!
With regard asking ISP support personnel for help with Linux. 'If' you are very fortunate - have you ever won the lottery? - there might just be one or two gifted individuals out there; but, on the whole, most of the staff are 'read-the-script' kiddies who only know Windows. Have you ever had a serious conversation with one; they actually read from a D-I-Y online help-manual, "If A = B, go to C", handbook; then repeat the collective mantra, ad nauseam!

Please give full specifications of your computer. Processor speed, memory, hard drive, etc. All information adds to the understanding of any problems that might be encountered.
before I got a chance to read even 1/2 the display (I'm a very slow reader) it proceeded to boot up WinXP
How have you attempted to install Puppy Linux? Is this a 'frugal install'? Have you installed a boot loader?

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

before I got a chance to read even 1/2 the display (I'm a very slow reader) it proceeded to boot up WinXP
This is the auto shutdown timer not giving you enough time to read.
This is being talked about changing, but that does not help you.
For now, just select save or do not save (if you do not want anything saved)

If you select save, the timer stops, and the save operation will only progress when you make a selection.
It even gives you a chance to not do it, just before saving.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Minni

response

#6 Post by Minni »

Thanks everyone for all your advice, and also re: paper clip & saving!
And so sorry for not providing sufficient info. :oops:

I'm using an Ethernet cable & D-Link modem. The ISP previously had sent one which came with built in router that auto-connected immediately upon bootup, but the D-Link modem requires clicking the DSL desktop-icon in order to connect.

Re: ISP support, it's true they're outsourced robots, but their level-2 support is occasionally well-informed guys late at night when U.S. personnel are occasionally available. Years ago when I first signed up, the majority were helpful, but soon thereafter, it changed as did everything.

Can you please advise:
Which of the specs. on my below attachment should be added to my below Signature?

Regarding Puppy version, I was advised to use this one even if its dated, since it's supposed to be easy. And since alot was involved until I even miraculously reached this point, it's hard for me to switch due to my EMF sensitivity, and slow computer, and having just got poison ivy & don't want the computer EMFs to aggravate my itchy hands more than necessary. I'm as of now typing with pascalite ointment on hands.

As to how i've installed Puppy - it was via Live CD. I first defragged in Safe Mode, then set BIOS to boot from CD. Not sure if this answers the questions...Consider me slower than the robot ISP-personnel :roll:
Attachments
device_mgr.jpg
(47.29 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Thinkpad R52, Intel Pentium M, 1.73ghz, 795MHz, 2gb RAM
NOTE: Please bear with me if responses are delayed due to computer-related health issues and/or distractions. Thanks!

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

I'm using an Ethernet cable & D-Link modem. The ISP previously had sent one which came with built in router that auto-connected immediately upon bootup, but the D-Link modem requires clicking the DSL desktop-icon in order to connect.
Hmm shame you don;t have the router... I am not familiar enough with ethernet modems like this to have much idea what the problem is but someone else might leap in here.

mike

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Maybe this will help
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/HOWTO_modem.htm[/url]
Which of the specs. on my below attachment should be added to my below Signature?
Processor
Graphics hardware
Amount of ram
network connection hardware being used
How Puppy is installed
(Full or frugal and to what)
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Re: response - DSL modem without router

#9 Post by rerwin »

Minni wrote:I'm using an Ethernet cable & D-Link modem. The ISP previously had sent one which came with built in router that auto-connected immediately upon bootup, but the D-Link modem requires clicking the DSL desktop-icon in order to connect.
This implies, to me, that the modem is a "DSL modem", which is different from the analog or wireless (mobile/cell phone) modems covered by the HOWTO_modem link. The previous autoconnecting modem with built-in router took care of things that are otherwise handled by pppoe/Roaring Penguin.

In the Connect Wizard, use the "'Roaring Penguin' PPPOE" button and take it from there.

The latest versions of Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6, recommended by cthisbear, above (thank you, cthisbear) contain a new version of the frisbee network manager (1.2) that includes support for PPPOE, although I have gotten no feedback, so far, as to how/whether that actually works.
Richard

Minni

#10 Post by Minni »

To all you helpful guys - please bear with me since I need to take quite a break until coming back to this thread.

I get 3/4 dead from computer EMFs
...but also - as of this week I contracted a Horrendous case of bodywide poison ivy, so I need to nurse it (the doctor gave prednisone pills & cortisone cream)

...and EMFs make it much worse sorta like salt in wound. Unfortunately I don't have one of those low-EMF tablets, nor Pixel Qi (electronic ink), nor Fit-PC, or it might not be such a problem.

Minni

#11 Post by Minni »

Sorry for the delay - still get flareups & need to pace myself.
bigpup wrote:Maybe this will help
[url]file:///usr/share/doc/HOWTO_modem.htm[/url]
Processor
Graphics hardware
Amount of ram
network connection hardware being used
How Puppy is installed
(Full or frugal and to what)
I assume my:
  • Processor is already in my sig.
    Graphics hardware is displayed above (somewhere in my screenshot?? please advise
    RAM is already in my sig.
    Network Connection hardware (WHERE in my screenshot??? please advise
    How Puppy installed - as of now I've a CD labeled "Puppy 528.005" I had clicked the ftp.nlugg.nt/ftp/pub/os/linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso and burned at 4x via BurnCDCC, defragged, set BIOS to boot from CD before booting the burnt-cd
As of now, here's where I'm at:
One of my thinkpads has AVG & 2gb ram
The other thinkpad has the discontinued MSE & 1gb ram

My AVG thinkpad had become =very= slow, and AVG diagnosed it with severe registry issues, and severe junk files.
When I tried Sys Restore, it refused to go back past March 2014, wherein aparently MS had installed "Software Distribution Svc.3.0" which is known as a volatile problem-software. But Win-installer Cleanup Utility is no longer available.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Where are you with Lucid Puppy?
Did you try any of the suggestions?
I do not see a signature area in your posts.

In the forum go to your profile->signature control panel

There is a place to add, computer info at the bottom of your post, that will be in every posting you do.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Minni

#13 Post by Minni »

bigpup wrote:Where are you with Lucid Puppy?
Did you try any of the suggestions?
I do not see a signature area in your posts.

In the forum go to your profile->signature control panel

There is a place to add, computer info at the bottom of your post, that will be in every posting you do.
Re: signature, I now realize it's because each time I need to checkmark the below signature checkbox.
But in case I forget, is there a way to set my Sig. to permanently display, regardless if I forget to checkmark the box below?

As for the rest, please refer to my bold-text above.
I tried whatever instructions were clear to me, as you can see from previous postings.
As of now, my status vis-a-vis Puppy is:
"still unconnected to the Net"
NOTE: Please bear with me if responses are delayed due to computer-related health issues and/or distractions. Thanks!

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

Re: signature, I now realize it's because each time I need to checkmark the below signature checkbox.
But in case I forget, is there a way to set my Sig. to permanently display, regardless if I forget to checkmark the box below?
Not sure why you are having to keep checking the attach signature.
I checked it once and it stays checked for me.

Have you tried this?
In the Connect Wizard, use the "'Roaring Penguin' PPPOE" button and take it from there.
For us to understand you need to be detailed about what you try to get connected to the Internet.
You do what?
You see what?

You may just be missing a step.
Last edited by bigpup on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Minni. You share info on only one of your laptops.

Questions
  • Do the others have identical Intel processors? If so, are they all the same dated systems?
  • Is your DSL connect via a home router from your ISP? Or through some other connection ... maybe a USB dongle
  • Is your LAN connection via the laptop motherboard or via some other wireless/wired method?
Curious and your answers will pertain to what approaches that might be recommended.

Minni

#16 Post by Minni »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Minni. You share info on only one of your laptops.

Questions
  • Do the others have identical Intel processors? If so, are they all the same dated systems?
  • Is your DSL connect via a home router from your ISP? Or through some other connection ... maybe a USB dongle
  • Is your LAN connection via the laptop motherboard or via some other wireless/wired method?
Curious and your answers will pertain to what approaches that might be recommended.
Regarding the roaring penguin mentioned above, I remember going thru PPOE steps with various ISP techies, and telling myself that never in a zillion years could I remember what the heck they walked me thru what with all the numbers and dots.

Thus, afraid to tackle that as per above post.

As for home router, its a D-Link Modem (on floor of computer room), and unlike the original modem sent me by the ISP which the techies configured with me to automatically turn into a router, this one requires clicking a desktop icon in order to get connected, since it cannot be configured to automatically route.

As for the LAN Connection question:
Please advise me what to click on my system, in order to find out how to answer your question. I do see this, under "network connections"

Broadband
Connected, Firewalled
WAN Miniport PPOE

(OK, now checkmarking the signature-attach box below, again)

Minni

update

#17 Post by Minni »

Update:

I'd decided today to phone the DSL provider about connecting with Linux.

The tech guy told me that most people who use Linux are tech-savvy - therefore their tech division didn't get trained in all the many versions of Linux-connections that are possible.

So, he said, in my case, he'll be shipping [yet another] replacement modem that [like the original they'd sent years ago] automatically acts as a router. He said it will come already-programmed to connect to the Net no matter which OS i'd use (no matter XP or linux-versions).

He said that the location I'm at, is only set up for PPPOE, but not DHCP.

Something like that...

Minni

update

#18 Post by Minni »

Suddenly, the display on my other R52 crashed.
So now I got busy with that on top of attempting Puppy connection.

I think its desperately time for me to seek another system.

Hope to get back here when I get out of the morass.