Oops, they did it again.

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Oops, they did it again.

#1 Post by Flash »

Microsoft Users Now Have to Opt Out of Having Third Parties Track Their Data
[quote]Microsoft says it wants to “eliminate any misunderstanding about whether our chosen implementation will comply with the W3C standard,
ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

I don't see anything inherently wrong with this. Even Firefox and Chrome doesn't have this feature enabled by default, if I remember correctly...

Regards...
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

But does Microsoft make any effort to see that you know about this setting when you install IE or use it for the first time? I doubt it. Apparently, you're assumed to know that you're being tracked whenever you're online.
ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Flash wrote:But does Microsoft make any effort to see that you know about this setting when you install IE or use it for the first time? I doubt it. Apparently, you're assumed to know that you're being tracked whenever you're online.
I know for a fact that Chrome and Firefox don't. There isn't a browser that I know of that does this. :wink:

Regards...
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I know it. I guess that's what Microsoft meant when it said it wants to “eliminate any misunderstanding about whether our chosen implementation will comply with the W3C standard,
ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

Flash wrote:Who controls this standard? I mean, who controls the W3C?
That's a good question. My impression is the decision making is spread out among the different groups at the W3C. No one person or group makes the decisions. How this is done can be seen here. :|

Regards...
wboz

#7 Post by wboz »

It's no good complaining about it. You DO have to assume you're being tracked unless you're taking steps otherwise.

I don't mean to be harsh, I mean it's certainly valid to complain about online tracking but I don't think it helps at a personal level -- you have to take steps to protect yourself. Personally I like only a small level of protection because some of the tracking actually helps personalize the web to my interests.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

You're not being harsh. I agree with you, it's just common sense to assume that a website is collecting whatever information about you it can, and using that information to make money any way possible. I do think that IE and the browsers mentioned by ardvark intentionally hide that fact and keep it out of sight as much as possible.
wboz

#9 Post by wboz »

I recently discovered that my iPhone has a private browsing mode that can be kept on at all times. Wish I had known that from the beginning!

Now I just wish it had an adblock!
ardvark

#10 Post by ardvark »

wboz wrote:Now I just wish it had an adblock!
How about something like this or this? :)

EDIT: I also just noticed this video....

Regards...
Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

It is a bit much that your preferences aren't carried forward on update though!!
And I wonder whether that means you have to check after EVERY MS update.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett
bark_bark_bark

#12 Post by bark_bark_bark »

A recent windows update was designed to force an upgrade to windows 10 when it goes RTM.
Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

A recent windows update was designed to force an upgrade to windows 10 when it goes RTM.
Details please??
bark_bark_bark

#14 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Burn_IT wrote:
Details please??
The update is known as KB3035583 and there is an article on softpedia about this update and its purpose.
James C

#15 Post by James C »

I passed on installing this.

A recommended update....thanks but no thanks.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583/
This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.
Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

It is not FORCE an upgrade. It does seemingly have the intent to pester you to do so.
It can be skipped, and can be uninstalled.