Where is a reasonable place to save personal files?

Booting, installing, newbie
disallowed

Where is a reasonable place to save personal files?

#1 Post by disallowed »

After having installed TahrPup on the hard disc, where is a reasonable place to copy my personal files (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music)? Is /mnt/home such a place? Or it could be a problem that there are saved the tahrsave folders? Thanks.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

If you have a save folder then /root would be fine.

/mnt/home ok too as long as it does not confuse you.

Either will be accessible from another system and even windows if you add the ext2/3 driver should puppy ever go belly up :)

Mike

disallowed

#3 Post by disallowed »

Thank you. If I save them at /root, how can I see the free space remaining? For /mnt/home I simply see it on rox-filer by right-clicking on the folder and choosing "properties".

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

hmm with a save folder the space in /root is the same as /mnt/home since the former is within the latter.

I don't have it but does the freemem applet show ram space or disc space...the thing in the tray? There is partview too I believe.

I have a disk space applet in xfce4 so a bit different for me.

mike

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

If you use a savefile, the free applet will show the free space in the savefile otherwise it shows free RAM. Best to save personal stuff to /mnt/home, if saving to /root you will sit with a huge savefile which is not recommended.

disallowed

#6 Post by disallowed »

The thing in my tray is partview. Having copied 44G into /mnt/home, it has been turned red and, when I put cursor on it, I see

Code: Select all

55G personal storage, free space 8.4G
But if I click on it, I see

sda1 55.9G / 12.1G free
What I see if I right-click on /mnt/home and choose "properties" is:

Size: 56 G total, 44 G used, 8648 M free (20.4%)
So, I don't understand if the free space is 12G or 8.4G.

But I think boot is slower now than before having copied the files. There are more lines of pink dots while checking sda1 until boots.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

The free space in your savefile is 8.4GB. The free space on that partition is 12.1GB. Your savefile is just another file on the partition. In your case sda1 = /mnt/home

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Well there were reports of size descrepancies with the various tools.

I tend to use
df -h

in a terminal ...that should decide which is being honest. They may be handling journal space differently...8.4 sounds closer to reality considering the amount you added.

If a filesystem check is being done every boot then it will slow down as files are added.
Plus the default pups make millions of inodes on ext2/3...far more than needed and that slows down checks too.

@ nic007 This is a save folder not savefile...or at least that was the original information ..if it is a save file then /root is not the place to save items.

mike

disallowed

#9 Post by disallowed »

When you speak about savefile or save folder, you mean if I copied the files into the tahrsave folder? I haven't done this. I create a new simple folder (directory) in /mnt/home and copied all my personal files into that folder.

If free applet is something different from partview, I haven't found it.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

confusion...there is no save file .... you only have a folder which lives on /mnt/home ...which is really sda1 or wherever puppy is.
Your data is in another folder on sda1(or whatever) so all is fine.

The tool saying you have 12GB left is in error for some reason.

Space on sda1(or whatever) is shared with your data and the puppy changes folder ../root is part of that...hence either /root or /mnt/home is fine to save to.
/tahrsave/root would be where root is found if looking from another system.
Will make sense in time :)

mike

disallowed

#11 Post by disallowed »

mikeb wrote:Well there were reports of size descrepancies with the various tools.
It seems that there are descrepancies with partview itself, too. Before and after click on it.
mikeb wrote:df -h

root# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        56G   44G  8.5G  84% /initrd/mnt/dev_save
tmpfs           167M  166M  1.2M 100% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs
/dev/loop0      166M  166M     0 100% /initrd/pup_ro2
tmpfs            31M   30M  1.1M  97% /initrd/mnt/tmpfs4
/dev/loop4       30M   30M     0 100% /initrd/pup_z
unionfs          56G   44G  8.5G  84% /
tmpfs           247M  384K  247M   1% /tmp
devtmpfs        493M     0  493M   0% /dev
shmfs           145M     0  145M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/loop1      171M  171M     0 100% /initrd/pup_ro4
root# 

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

/dev/sda1        56G   44G  8.5G  84% /initrd/mnt/dev_save 
is the bunny.....

and
unionfs 56G 44G 8.5G 84% /
shows the puppy file system gets all that space to play with :)

The thread on partview was a while ago which did have some explanation of the problem which from memory was due to it not handling save folder correctly...but don't quote me.

mike

disallowed

#13 Post by disallowed »

Thanks a lot. Sorry for the quotes. Never again.

ICPUG

#14 Post by ICPUG »

mikeb wrote:hmm with a save folder the space in /root is the same as /mnt/home since the former is within the latter.

mike
I think you already know this, Mike, but just to clarify to newbies - that statement is slightly confusing for save FILES. It may be OK for save folders - I don't know what they are.

On a frugal install with a save file the space in /root is definitely not the same as /mnt/home.

/root is part of the linux filesystem and, if changed, the changes will be placed in the save file.

/mnt/home is the root of the partition where Puppy is frugally installed and is part of the external filesystem which that Partition uses. If you make changes to /mnt/home, such as adding and changing files and directories then they change the external filesystem and not the save file.

Keeping personal stuff on /mnt/home is useful for avoiding the save file running out of space. However, if the partition on which Puppy is frugally installed is not running a Linux filesystem then remember the facilities of the Partition OS applies. For example, if the partition is NTFS from Windows you will not have Linux permission flags on anything stored on /mnt/home. Any Windows user on your machine will be able to see your files. This is not a problem when you are the only user!

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Its the correct information for someone using a save folder which the op is doing.
The whole point IS that /root and /mnt/home share the same space...so a user can use either equally.

This is not meant as a general information thread for save file users.

Mike

ICPUG

#16 Post by ICPUG »

Reading through the original post again it does not say whether a folder is being used. It just asks where to save personal files.

I thoght your use of a save FOLDER had specific meaning which I did not understand - not so sure now.

Anyways, I stand by my post. If you create a save folder in /root and put your personal files there they will take up part of the Linux filesystem and therefore the save file.

I think that is highly relevant to someone coming along to this thread because they too want to know where to store their personal files. It is not off topic.

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Anyways, I stand by my post. If you create a save folder in /root and put your personal files there they will take up part of the Linux filesystem and therefore the save file.
chalk and cheese ..... you are saying save folder then save file about the same setup...and the folder is not IN root either its the other way around.
I suspect you are a bit unfamiliar as to how it works...I added save folder to puppy in 2.12 based on its use in Slax so have a few years experience of its behaviour.
Think of a tidier version of save to a partition.

The op made another post clarifying it was a save folder as I was not 100% at first though it appeared to be that way plus his information from df and mount doubly establish it was indeed a save folder.

You do bring up the thought though that there is probably a lack of information around about the save folder and its use and benefits.
One for a stickie thread perhaps.

mike