DebianDog - Wheezy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

#1101 Post by saintless »

New thread for DebianDog-Jessie started.
Fred, If you like something to be added or changed in the new thread post I will do it.
Quick testing shows OpenBox version boots without problems on my hardware. I will test it better in the next days.

Toni

saintless

#1102 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.
anikin wrote:As a user, I can (and should) upgrade DD Wheezy myself. Please, do share your upgrade process, so that DD users can learn and benefit from it.
I already gave answer about upgrading DebianDog-Wheezy from the user. I don't have any problem if the user makes the upgrade, but I do have a problem to guide all the time how to fix all small problems after that. This why we upload DebianDog-Jessie version with all problems solved after the upgrade.
All the information you need is in /etc/apt/preferences in DD-Jessie:

Code: Select all

# Keep older kernel version, xserver-xorg-core, wget, dillo, x11-xserver-utils, modded adwaita-icon-theme, libxml2, xinit, lxrandr:
# Removing the package entry from here and running apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade will install the latest package version.

Package: *
Pin: origin *.debian.org
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 1

Package: linux-image-3.16.0-4-586
Pin: version 3.16.7-ckt4-3
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: libgbm1
Pin: version 10.4.2-2

Package: dillo
Pin: version 3.0.3-1

Package: adwaita-icon-theme
Pin: version 3.14.0-0

Package: x11-xserver-utils
Pin: version 7.7+2+b1

Package: xdm
Pin: version 1:1.1.11-2

Package: jwm
Pin: version 2.2.2-1

# Packages duplicated in /etc/apt/preferences and also with apt-mark hold command to prevent upgrade with aptitude:
# Trying to remove some packages depending on holded package will give error like libtiff5 for example.
# To remove libtiff5 unhold lxrandr: "apt-mark unhold lxrandr" and the uninstall process will continue.

Package: dpkg
Pin: version 1.17.25

Package: libxml2
Pin: version 2.9.1+dfsg1-5

Package: wget
Pin: version 1.16-1

Package: xinit
Pin: version 1.3.4-1

Package: lxrandr
Pin: version 0.1.2-3

# End of duplicated packages section.
The fixes for systemd boot and other scripts from Fred.
DD-Jessie modded debs

Toni

anikin

#1103 Post by anikin »

Hi Fred,
Please tell us why.
What's not "Jessie" about an dist-upgrade from wheezy?
(The command: "apt-get dist-upgrade" says it already, it upgrades to newer distribution)
On the face of it, it's a misleading command. The point is, the "apt-get dist-upgrade" command is not supposed to be understood literally. Actually it is the same "upgrade" command with added, "smarter" capabilities. It's better at solving dependencies, and that's it. It *does not* upgrade to the newer distribution. There's just no such command, that will do it. I did quite a bit of reading, please, guys trust me.
-----------------

Hi Toni,

I will respectfully disagree with you. There's no need to rush DD Jessie release. Let's discuss it a bit and do it the right, Debian way. The "standard" ISO, you refered to earlier is too big, that will be too much work. There's a smaller release, called "minbase". It can be obtained using a simple tool - debootstrap. It is dead simple - if I can use it, anyone will use it. Give it a try - you will have a minimal Debian Jessie/Stretch/Sid rootfs in less than an hour. By the way, deboostrap is an *official* Debian installer and minbase is the smallest footprint, that Debian can offer. Tons of howto's and documentation. Here's a couple of the best ones - they have all the info in compressed form:
http://willhaley.com/willhaley/blog/cre ... nvironment
https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/ ... ian-livecd
Download the latest version here:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap
unpack the deb to have a look at the actual script - it's amazing.

saintless

#1104 Post by saintless »

Hi, Anikin.
Already discussed several times long time ago:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 510#743510
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#743639
And pointed with ready to use iso examples from Sergey:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#743740
DD was built by removing packages from official Debian-Live-CD and further remastering. Nothing to do with official debian live building and I never wrote it is build in official Debian way. The important part for me is to keep 100% Debian compatibility and it is done in DD-Squeeze, Wheezy and Jessie.
If you can see any difference in the system after apt-get dist-upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie I fail to see it comparing DD-Jessie live-boot-3 and official Debian-Jessie-Live-CD.
I wish you luck trying to build DD-Jessie from scratch. It is not something I like to try even after all the troubles we had to shape the system in the form it is now.

Toni

Satori

#1105 Post by Satori »

Hiyas...

I've been keeping an eye on DDog for a long time and used the latest Jessie ISO to create a bootable directory
that's managed by grub.

OFTB, my Dell E6510's wifi fails to connect and network status shows no valid driver for it. I used the
031-firmware-porteus.squashfs file from the previous working DDog Wheezy directory and all's now well

My current production OS is dpup wheezy, but it's showing it's age as Chrome 42.0 and up fails to run.

I expect this to be my next production OS, as I sort further things out. such as missing libnss3, which Chrome needs but
is usually installed by Mozilla.

I'll also be installing nvidia drivers, as things progress.

Thanks!

saintless

#1106 Post by saintless »

Hi, Satori.
Satori wrote:OFTB, my Dell E6510's wifi fails to connect and network status shows no valid driver for it. I used the
031-firmware-porteus.squashfs file from the previous working DDog Wheezy directory and all's now well
As similar solution try installing firmware-linux-nonfree. It should fix the problem also.

Toni

anikin

#1107 Post by anikin »

saintless wrote:...Already discussed several times long time ago:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 510#743510
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 639#743639
And pointed with ready to use iso examples from Sergey:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#743740
DD was built by removing packages from official Debian-Live-CD and further remastering. Nothing to do with official debian live building and I never wrote it is build in official Debian way. The important part for me is to keep 100% Debian compatibility and it is done in DD-Squeeze, Wheezy and Jessie.
If you can see any difference in the system after apt-get dist-upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie I fail to see it comparing DD-Jessie live-boot-3 and official Debian-Jessie-Live-CD.
I wish you luck trying to build DD-Jessie from scratch. It is not something I like to try even after all the troubles we had to shape the system in the form it is now.
Hi, Toni

Either me not communicating well enough my point, or you misreading the communication. What I'm talking about hasn't been previously discussed. Why are you bringing up live-build, what does it have to do with the topic at hand? My point in offering debootstrap:
1) Removing packages from an official Debian-Live-CD is more work, than removing packages from an debootstrapped image.
2) Debootstrap is NOT live-build, they should not be lumped together. Debootstrapping and live-building are absolutely different things!
Removing packages from a Debian ISO is OK, I'm fine with this method. It is legitimate, but in this particular case, you guys are not even doing this. You are trying to sell a trivial upgrade from DD Wheezy as a DD Jessie release. That's wrong and is absolutely unacceptable. As a serious project, DD should not fail its users expectations.

saintless

#1108 Post by saintless »

anikin wrote:Either me not communicating well enough my point, or you misreading the communication. What I'm talking about hasn't been previously discussed. Why are you bringing up live-build, what does it have to do with the topic at hand?
Read again the link to Sergey's post and you will see the result from simple debootstrab build:
debian-squeeze-minbase-debootstrap.tar.gz - 67.9 MB
The point is my choice of DD base and new version iso upgrades is different and will not be changed.
Removing packages from a Debian ISO is OK, I'm fine with this method. It is legitimate, but in this particular case, you guys are not even doing this. You are trying to sell a trivial upgrade from DD Wheezy as a DD Jessie release. That's wrong and is absolutely unacceptable. As a serious project, DD should not fail its users expectations.
I'm not sure what you mean with this statement, but a "trivial upgrade from DD Wheezy" is and will be the only one provided by me as DD Jessie and SID release. Feel free to call it upgraded Wheezy instead Jessie.

Toni

fredx181

#1109 Post by fredx181 »

anikin wrote:Removing packages from a Debian ISO is OK, I'm fine with this method. It is legitimate, but in this particular case, you guys are not even doing this. You are trying to sell a trivial upgrade from DD Wheezy as a DD Jessie release. That's wrong and is absolutely unacceptable. As a serious project, DD should not fail its users expectations.
Really, that's to aggressive, you make it sound like we are a couple of crooks misleading the user!
Subject description of DebianDog - Jessie thread:
Subject description: Upgrade from DebianDog - Wheezy
You made clear your opinion about a "pure jessie" should be build from scratch, ok.
But the way we choose is to use "dist-upgrade", which a lot of Debian users do when new stable arrives.
So, I see nothing "not legitimate' in that.
Ok, I'll try to go with you, in theory maybe upgrade from wheezy to jessie in not "real jessie" but you still didn't say what's the difference in practice and: more important, what could be the disadvantages of the way we did?

You could bring out a release yourself as you think it should be, but don't attack us on the way we like to do it.

Fred

fredx181

#1110 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Toni,
Fred, If you like something to be added or changed in the new thread post I will do it.
Maybe I didn't look very well, but aren't links to locales .squashfs missing?
For the rest it looks very nice, as usual :)
Quick testing shows OpenBox version boots without problems on my hardware.
Ok, same for me when testing your Jwm version!
Btw, what's your reason for using 512k blocksize on Jwm version with mksquashfs?

Fred

yr1945

#1111 Post by yr1945 »

Toni, Thank You for your response to my question. Basically, I was visiting a friend and just showing him Linux... well, mostly Puppy Linux. He had never heard of Linux. Anyway, I was just looking for a small OS to boot on his laptop. I tried several, but his laptop would not boot them. We were not looking to install any files, etc on his laptop. For whatever reason, Saluki was the only OS his laptop would boot. Unfortunately, I don't believe he was very impressed with Linux since only one OS would boot. Again, I appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to respond to my question. I'm on my way back home now. I kind of wish I had not touched on the subject of Linux with him... but, who knows, he may decide to play around with Linux later on... I'll try not to bother you for awhile...

PS: I frequently use DebianDog (Jessie... with Openbox & Xfce). It's fantastic.

limelime

#1112 Post by limelime »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Toni,
Edit: Working night shifts this week so I'm not sure I will be able to start new Jessie thread before tomorrow. Do you have some instruction to be added in the first post about making bootable usb from iso hybrid or I can post the commands with warning be careful not to wipe HDD by mistake Smile
As you think is best, I think it will be fine to just post the dd commands and with: BE CAREFUL!!!! :)

Fred
I wrap dd command within a script to check for the destination size:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
# Description: Transfer ISOHYBRID to USB.

ISOHYBRID=$1
USB_DEVICE=$2

# Arguments error handling.
###########################
if [ "${#}" -ne "2" ]; then
  echo "ERROR: Arguments missing. Please provide <ISOHYBRID> and <USB_DEVICE>."
  echo "   e.g: $0 my_iso_hybrid.iso /dev/sdX"
  exit 0
fi

# Prevent WRONG USB device.
# Question if USB device is more than 16 gigabytes.
####################################################
GIGABYTES=1
MAX_BYTES_THRESHOLD=$((1073741824*${GIGABYTES}))
USB_DEVICE_SIZE_BYTES=$(blockdev --getsize64 "${USB_DEVICE}")
if [ "${USB_DEVICE_SIZE_BYTES}" -gt "${MAX_BYTES_THRESHOLD}" ];
then
  echo "******************** WARNING ********************"
  echo "${USB_DEVICE} is more than ${GIGABYTES} Gigabytes."
  echo -n "Are you sure that ${USB_DEVICE} is the right USB device? [Y/N] "
  read RIGHT_USB
  if [ "${RIGHT_USB}" != "Y" ]; then
    echo "OUT! Did nothing."
    exit 0
  fi
fi

# Delete all partitions on USD device.
####################################
echo ">>>>>>>>>> Delete all partitions of ${USB_DEVICE}."
dd if=/dev/zero of=${USB_DEVICE} bs=1k count=2048
sync
partprobe ${USB_DEVICE}

# Transfer iso-hybrid to USD device.
####################################
echo ">>>>>>>>>> Transfer iso-hybrid to ${USB_DEVICE}."
dd if="${ISOHYBRID}" of="${USB_DEVICE}" bs=4M
sync
partprobe ${USB_DEVICE}

exit 0
https://github.com/limelime/live-deb-cu ... /dd-usb.sh

zagreb999

mksquashfs

#1113 Post by zagreb999 »

mksquashfs

DOES NOT WORK.
CAN YOU CORRECT THIS,
AND CREATE .DEB?

REGARDS.

saintless

#1114 Post by saintless »

Hi, yr1945.
yr1945 wrote:For whatever reason, Saluki was the only OS his laptop would boot.
This means I'm wrong and the problem is not in the optical drive. It just needs correct driver to be loaded from initrd but seems it is missing in most Puppies and with sure it is part of Debian non-free packages I prefer not to include in DD.
Jemimah's Puppies are the best choice for laptop hardware. She knows how to make your life easier serching for drivers. I still have Fluppy on a flash drive.

Toni

saintless

Re: mksquashfs

#1115 Post by saintless »

zagreb999 wrote:mksquashfs

DOES NOT WORK.
Please, share what exactly is the problem? It doesn't work from RemasterDog and RemasterCow or typing mksquashfs in terminal doesn't work for you? Tested in both DD versions Wheezy and Jessie and I see no problem.
Attachments
jwm.jpg
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
openbox.jpg
(16.33 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

saintless

#1116 Post by saintless »

limelime wrote: I wrap dd command within a script to check for the destination size:
https://github.com/limelime/live-deb-cu ... /dd-usb.sh
Thanks, limelime, maybe we can make deb package later based on this to manage the process and prevent user mistakes as much as possible.

Toni

saintless

#1117 Post by saintless »

Hi, Fred.
fredx181 wrote:Maybe I didn't look very well, but aren't links to locales .squashfs missing?
Thanks, information added in the first post. BTW I keep them in Extra-Modules this time and all modules are available for download with sfs-get.
Btw, what's your reason for using 512k blocksize on Jwm version with mksquashfs?
Better to keep the same compression level for both versions. The iso size is much bigger now anyway and I prefer not to edit remasterdog script after installing the latest package to 1024k in Jwm. It also creates the module much faster on my old machine and adds less than 4MB.
remasterdog-cli in the deb still has 1024k inside but I doubt anyone will use it having GUI version.

Toni

zagreb999

squashfs tools

#1118 Post by zagreb999 »

THANK YOU,
BUT IS IT POSSIBLE
TO MAKE-CREATE-CONVERT TO SQUASHFS
FROM PUPPY.SFS OR FROM ONE
DIRECTORY?
I DO NOT NEED REMASTER.
REGARDS.

saintless

Re: squashfs tools

#1119 Post by saintless »

Hi, zagreb999.
.sfs and .squashfs are the same squashfs format. You can load both in DD without need to rename .sfs to squashfs.
We have right click menu option to convert pet to sfs.
Edit-sfs from Puppy is included.
You can drag and drop directory in ArcDrop desktop icon and choose to make squashfs (see the screenshot).
From command line you can create squashfs from directory:

mksquashfs /path-to/some-directory /path-to/some-name.squashfs
You can use RemasterCow to create squashfs module from changes without need to make full system remaster.
Converting older squashfs (made with mksquashfs-tools v.3 to v.4) can be done from command line using unsquashfs command to extract the content of older version squashfs and making new one from the extracted directory with mksquashfs command or using ArcDrop.

Toni
Attachments
squashfs.jpg
(94.24 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

zagreb999

squashfs tools

#1120 Post by zagreb999 »

HI TONI,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
REGARDS.