How does Facebook know who I might know?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
grump

How does Facebook know who I might know?

#1 Post by grump »

I've recently re activated my Facebook page so I could participate in a photography group that does most of its stuff on Facebook . Now I can understand how it might work out who I might be mutual friends with the few ppl I've friended, but I'm finding it's making suggestions in the 'people you might know ' bit that are a bit freaky. Eg my ex boss, for whom I only have a mobile number, and today the owner of a home stay in Vietnam we stayed at a few years back, but I probably have the email addy he used at the time.

How does Facie know that I might know these ppl?

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Address book?
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Cookies. Facebook is everywhere, and it leaves little crumbs behind.

raffy

unsuspecting

#4 Post by raffy »

Unsuspecting people might allow the reading of their address book and if your email address is in there, gotcha 8)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Just searching random names and visiting their pages will result in these "you may know these people" emails

rokytnji

#6 Post by rokytnji »

I have a accounts for neices, wife, son. distro team, etc..........

When facebook suggests something. My mindset is "So? Really? Thats Nice."

No sleep lost or problemo for me. I raised kids and have 5 dogs that bark all the time.
It teaches you how to ignore things.

I decide what to control in my facebook account (that is under my control). Not facebook. They do do stuff I have no control over. Kinda like a nag on a Windows program that is free and gives you a popup to upgrade. I know how to ignore those also.

I know hate and discontent exist for apps like twitter, facebook and what ever else.
But I have to do things sometimes to get along with others and it does not make me
break out in sweat over it. Being a life long biker. I probably have hard files on me any ways. No amount of worrying can change that.

So no telling how they do it from me. I just dont GAF. It is part of participation. Google + also plays that game also among other free sites. Either use their stuff or don't. Choice is choice, after all.

Only a few things are free anymore without strings attatched in cyber space.
I am a happy camper that Gnu/Linux remains to be one of them.
The rest. I tolerate.

rockedge

#7 Post by rockedge »

Only a few things are free anymore without strings attatched in cyber space.
I am a happy camper that Gnu/Linux remains to be one of them.
The rest. I tolerate.
Well said, and the rest of your statement is pretty cool too.

p310don

#8 Post by p310don »

I recently uploaded a photo with 3 people in it to a Facebook page, it came up with the option of tagging me, and one of other others. I can understand it "knowing" me because I put up the pic, but the other lady is an acquaintance of mine who I've never had a picture with, don't interact with on facebook etc. It just knew who she was. I'm guessing facial recognition.

There are no secrets

jplt

#9 Post by jplt »