Windows 10 is rumored to destroy computers.

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
disciple

#21 Post by disciple »

Burn_IT wrote:Statistics work against your arguments as well as for them!
Incredible - I actually agree with Burn_IT on something...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

I reiterate my previous statement.
starhawk wrote:If you have a substantive argument or complaint to make, I'm listening.
Show your work.

purple379

Starhawk, agree with you.

#23 Post by purple379 »

Starhawk I agree with you. While the links are self explanatory, I used the term rumor to express my skepticism on the subject.

As to why I thought the thread might interest others on the puppy forums. I felt that Puppy Linux geeks are just the ones who will get phone calls from friends who will call them with a tale of woe of having tried to install Windows 10. Finishing with, "Can you bring that Puppy thing you keep telling me about so I can get back into my computer, use my email, get at my files as I having I have something I need to do right now, and the this Windows 10 thing does not look to be getting fixed up very soon."

As I have a computer that at some time I will have to upgrade to Windows 10, I would rather make that judgement from true and accurate information. I feel Linux people tend to be more knowledgeable than Windows forums. Altho I do have a sense that those who wrote in the links I provided, are giving the most accurate information that they have, and they are not complete Windows fools.

I am not responsible for what other people post on this thread. For myself, I plead that I have been taking Codeine for that last several days, and still do not see my error in starting this thread.

Ted Dog

#24 Post by Ted Dog »

"Ditto" Purple!

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

As far as i can tell Win 10 is designed like an OS intended to run a local session under the control of an MS server, rather than as a standalone OS under the control of the user. I am somewhat concerned that the time may be not too many years away where the internet is unusable except for machines that run in this fashion - constantly reporting home for validation.

I think it would be relatively easy for MS and Google etc to choke the web with validation servers that made life difficult for "unapproved" operating systems.

All under the guise of "security" of course.

I think there is already plenty of PC hardware around that is specifically designed to boot well in conjunction with Windows but cause problems with non MS operating systems. Once W10 gets a big userbase I am sure we will see a proliferation of hardware that simply won't run anything else.

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Ted Dog wrote:.... a little too pro-google for my tastes.
I have always felt uncomfortable with the scope of Googles reach into our lives, but without any real evidence to back up my feelings (kind of like how i feel about W10). But I just read an interesting article about the longstanding links between Googles founders and the security establishment.

Very dry and boring reading but valuable info:
http://stateofthenation2012.com/?p=19710

EDIT : Here is one quote:
This was also the year that the Bush administration drew up its notorious Information Operations Roadmap. Describing the internet as a “vulnerable weapons system,

Ted Dog

#27 Post by Ted Dog »

I was called up for the offensive action on the net, lead by Bush since they where beating the bushes for anyone with strong net security skillls and have past DoD contracts. Was even released from my then current contracts to be mobilized quicky, when they found out my contract entanglement. Was even given a special goodbye and awards at that job. Then waited and waited for actual call up... Never happened.

disciple

#28 Post by disciple »

Hmmm. Are Microsoft or the US military capable of taking over the internet? Microsoft used to be a big worry, but firefox and Chrome and Android have put an end to that, haven't they?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

disciple wrote:Hmmm. Are Microsoft or the US military capable of taking over the internet? Microsoft used to be a big worry, but firefox and Chrome and Android have put an end to that, haven't they?
Certainly the US military (in its broadest sense) are able to bring the internet to it's knees very quickly if they so desired. The article I linked (and also Snowdens revelations) suggest that the net currently provides rich pickings for intelligence agencies and also suggests that the development of Cisco products was initially undertaken by staff with intelligence gathering sympathies. It also implies that Googles functionality was originally developed within scrutiny (if not oversight) of such agencies. I would find it hard to believe that the longstanding mechanisms governing routing of internet traffic are devoid of backdoors permitting data redirection or collapse in case of dire military need.

Even a few top hackers could cause havoc if they so desired - anything that scrambled DNS servers would be a starting point for a distributed D.O.S attack or similar.

In my opinion Android probably has serious flaws that could allow central control or disablement. Probably the biggest threat to the internet is the adoption by banks, governments and large corporations of new protocols that they deem necessary to ensure "security". They can very quickly lock us out and require us to adopt the newest browser versions etc etc. That is all it takes to render the internet "locked". They could easily refuse to permit Android to have access to secure systems.

If you have to update your browser or operating system just to submit your tax return then they've got you by the short and curlies...

disciple

#30 Post by disciple »

Physically taking down the internet seems quite different from controlling it, like MS want to... and it would make you rather unpopular :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

grump

#31 Post by grump »

Neither the laptop I updated to Win 10 Pro or the desktop I updated to Win 10 Home have melted or caught fire. Both updated without trouble. As I understand it I can control updates on the Pro version but not the Home version. It does not worry me.

I used the laptop to run Win 10 betas since last year sometime, also without trouble.

I can't see what the fuss is about. The op linked a forum for a very particular piece of hardware - the Alienware gaming machines - hardly typical PCs.

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

disciple wrote:Physically taking down the internet seems quite different from controlling it, like MS want to... and it would make you rather unpopular :)
Are you able to connect to google.com this morning? No response from the google server for me. Maybe they've started locking down the access already? (pushes tinfoil hat firmly onto head)
:cry:

mini-jaguar

#33 Post by mini-jaguar »

I really don't know much about Windows, other than having a copy of XP on a computer to use when I need.

Does MS have this thing like Apples that you can't "downgrade" your OS once you installed a newer one?

starhawk

#34 Post by starhawk »

I know that Win 8 in general can be downgraded to Win 7 -- or, at least, that was the case last I heard -- but that it's a bit technical to do it, enough so that my local tech shop is able to charge for the service...

Don't know about Win 10 tho. I'm trying to give that one a real wide berth.

bark_bark_bark

#35 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Once you "upgrade" to windows 10, you only have a 30 day window if you want to remove it.

purple_ghost

Rolling back OS

#36 Post by purple_ghost »

Apple has, on occasion changed the layout of the hard drive, and created a Recovery Partition for the OS X that it thinks is on the computer. Then Rolling back the OS would require formatting the hard drive, and then Reinstalling the OS. Problematic, not impossible, and no automatic one Click Roll Back. Best to create a Clone of the Hard drive before doing an upgrade. I have learned to distrust Time Interval back ups like the Time Machine Apple uses, as they can find unique and creative ways to fail.

Likewise with Windows 10.

I have been advised that a number of older machines, even though they have Windows 7, or even Windows 8 something may not upgrade to Windows 10. Drivers not available, and so on. So get a good back up before attempting upgrade.

As far as I know, Microsoft has done much in its power to keep Windows XP machines off the internet. If your XP works on the internet, then that would surprising. Then again, I do not run XP. but let us know.
Google Search of Forum: http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, guys.
bark_bark_bark wrote:Once you "upgrade" to windows 10, you only have a 30 day window if you want to remove it.
Aren't we all getting a wee bit paranoid here? If I was daft enough to install Win 10 ( and last I checked, I think I still possess enough 'nous' to make a rational decision in that regard.....like a huge 'NO'..!), it's very easy to remove it.

Wipe the drive.....and install (*insert OS of your choice*). :lol:

Or replace the drive with another one.

I couldn't care less if I do get 'locked-out' of the web. Life will still go on, regardless..... I consider myself fortunate to not 'have to' use the internet for any specific reason. Being semi-retired can be awfully liberating!

Besides, have you never heard of the old saw? 'What man can invent, man can circumvent...'
purple_ghost wrote:As far as I know, Microsoft has done much in its power to keep Windows XP machines off the internet. If your XP works on the internet, then that would surprising. Then again, I do not run XP. but let us know.
Mine works fine. I run Chrome, Firefox & SRWare Iron. IE's a poor little refugee on my machine. (Then again, XP is no longer my primary OS. I just 'play around' with it nowadays... Much better when you run it purely for the amusement value! :D )

It's a bog standard, basic XP Pro install.....with all apps run as 'portables', from a USB stick.

Anything serious I need to do, 'Puppy' takes care of it. Flawlessly. (And if it doesn't to begin with, it certainly does by the time I'm finished with it...)

Regards,

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 09 Sep 2015, 22:37, edited 4 times in total.

Burn_IT

#38 Post by Burn_IT »

As far as I know, Microsoft has done much in its power to keep Windows XP machines off the internet. If your XP works on the internet, then that would surprising. Then again, I do not run XP. but let us know
What a load of bollocks!! There are more XP users on the internet that any other OS.
If that is the way you talk as a Linux User, it is not surprising people avoid it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

Burn_IT wrote:
As far as I know, Microsoft has done much in its power to keep Windows XP machines off the internet. If your XP works on the internet, then that would surprising. Then again, I do not run XP. but let us know
What a load of bollocks!! There are more XP users on the internet that any other OS.
If that is the way you talk as a Linux User, it is not surprising people avoid it.
^^^ +1!!!

Seconded.

Mike. :)

bark_bark_bark

#40 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hey, guys.
bark_bark_bark wrote:Once you "upgrade" to windows 10, you only have a 30 day window if you want to remove it.
Aren't we all getting a wee bit paranoid here? If I was daft enough to install Win 10 ( and last I checked, I think I still possess enough 'nous' to make a rational decision in that regard.....like a huge 'NO'..!), it's very easy to remove it.

Wipe the drive.....and install (*insert OS of your choice*). :lol:

Or replace it with another one.
I know, poor choice of wording. i meant that you only have a 30 day windows to use the downgrade option.