Erasing at save time and wireless internet connection

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
rob

Erasing at save time and wireless internet connection

#1 Post by rob »

I would like to suggest that the save cd script takes into account cd-rw and offers to read the data to ram, quick erase the disk, then compile all saved sessions into a super session and write back onto the disk.
The only bit of this missing as far as I can see is the erase option.

I'd also like to see the drivers for the WG111v2. Im really struggling to get it working.
It'd be nice if a copy of the forum and wiki were available for download onto the cd in a compressed form, so without an internet connection its still possible to read how to get connected. This would also solve the information backup problem mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

I'd like a puppy wizard which hand-holds a little bit more through the network setup procedure, then goes on to download and install development tools, kde install script, latest version of puppy and ends up with a list of pet packages. This would autorun on the first run of puppy after hd install, saving of pup_save file.

Then I'd have a pup_config file containing all the setup details entered by the user. This would allow for unattended installs, simplify upgrades, and allow for customised puppy cds to come in the form of a single file on the normal cd. When installing, the install looks for the pup_config file and asks if it should set those options specified. The other unspecified options it should ask for.

This should even make it possible to write a windows program to setup puppy, helping users move across.

I know with the launch of vista which i'm currently running, a lot of people will struggle as their old programs fail to work. This seems a perfect opportunity to grab users. I know quite a few people who don't really know what to upgrade to and I think, with a little work, puppy could be made almost as easy to use as windows by someone whos been using windows for a while. I think this should be an objective for linux, as at the moment its viewed as pretty much only developers who use it. In order to do this a couple of things need addressing:
File compatibility
Codec availability
Application compatiblity (if not the originals, reasonable alternatives)
Configuration tools
GUI availability
Integration (really needs work)

By integration, I mean a standardised look and feel for all applications, to give a professional look, and the availability of related options in related locations

The conversion from windows to linux is not only about performance, power and ease of use, its about the way the user perceives the experience of using the pc. They expect windows. If they immediately can't do something, a higher fraction of users than you'd like to think will just give up and go try something else.

I'm mid exams. I'm hoping that after i pass :P i will have more time to work on the things above.