How to install a Pantum laser printer in Puppy.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bugman-2.0

How to install a Pantum laser printer in Puppy.

#1 Post by bugman-2.0 »

I bought one of those cheapo Pantum monochrome laser printers from NewEgg ($35) as I am barely capable of writing any more. Anyway, installing it screwed up my CUPS, so I thought I'd pass along my tips.

Download the drivers from http://global.pantum.com/global/drive_tag/drive/

Extract until you get the deb files, a 32-bit and 64-bit. DO NOT INSTALL THE DEBS. Instead, open them as archives, and select the filter file (there is only one) and the driver for your printer. Extract, and copy or move them into the correct folders (/usr/lib/cups/filter and /usr/share/model/Pantum) in your system.

If you get a small bit of print in one corner of the paper instead of a full page, upgrade your Puppy. Oops... :lol:

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please explain - are you reporting success or failure? If it failed with a certain version of CUPS, what was it? If it works with a different version, what is it?

It would help if you identified the model number of your printer.

bugman-2.0

#3 Post by bugman-2.0 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Please explain - are you reporting success or failure? If it failed with a certain version of CUPS, what was it? If it works with a different version, what is it?
Eventual success, both from not using the deb as per usual and the newer Pup/CUPS.

CUPS is 1.7.5, not sure what the version on Precise 5.7.1 was. I never pay attention to CUPS as I haven't had a printer in ages.
rcrsn51 wrote:It would help if you identified the model number of your printer.
It's a Pantum P2502W, but from what I gather they're all about the same. The way forward was gleaned from someone struggling with a different model, and in Ubuntu.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please identify the new Puppy that worked. I'm guessing that your success has less to do with the version of CUPS and more to do with the ancient version of Ghostscript in Precise. It is upgradeable if you want to stay with Precise.

bugman-2.0

#5 Post by bugman-2.0 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Please identify the new Puppy that worked. I'm guessing that your success has less to do with the version of CUPS and more to do with the ancient version of Ghostscript in Precise. It is upgradeable if you want to stay with Precise.
Sorry again. Tahrpup 6.0.5

I'm very bad at this sort of thing. :oops: