tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
prehistoric

#1601 Post by prehistoric »

Now posting from the latest 6.0.6, and even using the nvidia 304.134 driver.

Compared to the previous struggle this installation was easy and fun. I didn't even need to run xorgwizard.

Having a reliable network made matters easier, but I can't blame phil for my previous problems.

Added: because I was concerned about versions going backwards from the version I was using, I've downloaded source for Sylpheed 3.5.1 and compiled it for both 32-bit and 64-bit tahrpup606. I'm new at this game, and haven't tested the result carefully because I'm cautious about what it might do to my collected email of 10 years or so. I think the only significant change is to the new executable binary, which was installed in /usr/local/bin. Replacing the original binary with this seems to give me the latest sylpheed, but I can't promise success for others. If you want to try it without compiling, I've uploaded the resulting file to the tahr32 and tahr64 directories in my directory on smokey01's site.

sheldonisaac

#1602 Post by sheldonisaac »

666philb (in part) wrote: i've uploaded a new 6.0.6 iso, can you boot live and test to see if your ethernet automatically works with this one.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... 6-uefi.iso
cheers
Thank you, I'm almost sure it did, will check tomorrow and update this.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Sailor Enceladus

#1603 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

666philb wrote:hi Barkingmad & sheldonisaac,

i've uploaded a new 6.0.6 iso, can you boot live and test to see if your ethernet automatically works with this one.
cheers
Thank you 666philb. The Pale Moon 27.1.0 update alone was well worth the update. :)

tlchost

no save icon

#1604 Post by tlchost »

created a bootable usb of the 32 bit tahr 6.0.6 using unetbootin.
Thar boots, but there is no save icon on the desktop. Activated event manager, rebooted, still no save icon and unable to specify any time value for save in event manager.

Tried several known good usb drives...same result
Tried creating bootable usb with LinuxLive...same result

Also tried latest 6.0.6 with same results as above.

Any work arounds?

bigpup

#1605 Post by bigpup »

It is making a save on first shutdown or reboot?
using unetbootin
Try this:

Look on the flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg. If it contains the clause "pmedia=cd" or something else, change it to "pmedia=usbflash".

Example:
syslinux.cfg

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd
Any help?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tlchost

No Save Icon - Solved

#1606 Post by tlchost »

bigpup wrote: Look on the flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg. If it contains the clause "pmedia=cd" or something else, change it to "pmedia=usbflash".

Any help?
Yes....interesting,,,,,LinuxLive Creator made the syslinux file with "pmedia=usb"
changing it to "pmedia-usbflash" solved the problem.
Thanks very much!

sheldonisaac

#1607 Post by sheldonisaac »

sheldonisaac wrote:
666philb (in part) wrote: i've uploaded a new 6.0.6 iso, can you boot live and test to see if your ethernet automatically works with this one.
cheers
Thank you, I'm almost sure it did, will check tomorrow and update this.
Yes, booting with the below line did make an ethernet connection.

Code: Select all

Kernel command line: psubdir=t215 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck,ram
Thanks again,
Sheldon

00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)

e1000e 154883 0
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Barkingmad

#1608 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello Phil

you asked a few posts ago
hi Barkingmad & sheldonisaac,

i've uploaded a new 6.0.6 iso, can you boot live and test to see if your ethernet automatically works with this one.
cheers
I've just tried your new ISO ad network just works straight off as Puppies always have before on this computer.

BTW. Thanks for the update of Palemoon to the latest release as well. I was wandering whether it is "safe" to use Palemoon's own updater?

Thanks again
Will

tlchost

pwidgets

#1609 Post by tlchost »

Tahr 6.0.6 32 bit running as bootabable USB.

Pwidgets does not install/run ... Is this a known problem, or have I done something to offend the Linux Ghods?

Any help appreciated.

backi

#1610 Post by backi »

Cups not running .........as in Tahrpup 6.0.5......

watchdog

#1611 Post by watchdog »

backi wrote:Cups not running .........as in Tahrpup 6.0.5......
Cups works for me. Do you install something which breaks cups? Try in a live without any program.

backi

#1612 Post by backi »

Hi watchdog !

You are right .........booted with pfix=ram .......does help ....
Before i used my old savefile .....i think have to start a new one .

Ledster

#1613 Post by Ledster »

Just been trying 6.0.6 32 bit on my toshiba L350 laptop (dual core pentium, 4 gigs memory) with great success. Nothing I have tried has failed yet. However, a check with hardinfo shows it is only seeing 3 gigs of memory, which I assume means this is a non PAE compile. In contrast 6.0.5 32 bit sees all 4 gigs. Is it possible to activate PAE without recompiling the kernel (which is way above my pay grade!)? If not, any chance of a PAE version being produced?

666philb

#1614 Post by 666philb »

Ledster wrote:Just been trying 6.0.6 32 bit on my toshiba L350 laptop (dual core pentium, 4 gigs memory) with great success. Nothing I have tried has failed yet. However, a check with hardinfo shows it is only seeing 3 gigs of memory, which I assume means this is a non PAE compile. In contrast 6.0.5 32 bit sees all 4 gigs. Is it possible to activate PAE without recompiling the kernel (which is way above my pay grade!)? If not, any chance of a PAE version being produced?
hi Ledster,

the 32bit version is noPAE only and i won't be making a PAE version. if your computer is 64bit use the 64bit tahrpup as performance is much better than using 32bit PAE.

you could use one of tahrpups older kernels if you really want PAE.... click on changing kernels in quickpet
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bigpup

#1615 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

You need to make an announcement on Distrowatch about Tahrpup is now at version 6.0.6.
They show only Tahrpup 6.0 and it makes it look like Tahrpup is 2.5 years old.

Slacko looks like the latest version of Puppy and we know better.
Slacko just uses bigger numbers :shock: :roll: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sailor Enceladus

#1616 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

bigpup wrote:Slacko looks like the latest version of Puppy and we know better.
Slacko just uses bigger numbers :shock: :roll: :lol:
Xenialpup is 7.04 and 7.0.7 though, and Slacko beta is only 6.9.6.4. Where did 7.0.6 and 7.0.5 go anyway? :lol: :lol: :lol:

tlchost

Pupsave Backup

#1617 Post by tlchost »

Running tahr 6.0.6 (Do we need a new thread?) as bootable USB (Moded 13).
When I click on the pupsave backup, tahr makes a save file then asks if I want a compressed backup. The Popup telling me it is creating a save file never disappears...so I have to look in /mnt/home to see if the backup file is there.

Fix please?

Ledster

#1618 Post by Ledster »

Hi 666philb

Many thanks for your quick reply.
Tried the change kernel with my current save file - worked, but a bit messy. So tried again with no save file (ie a clean start) using your 3.14.11_PAE kernel. Worked great with 4 gigs showing. Installed my favourite programs - no problems.
Sometime in the near future I MUST try 6.0.6 64 bit.
Thanks for all your efforts.

One small point, the change kernels link in quickpet does not work

Quickpet link
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributio ... r/kernels/

This one works:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... r/kernels/

Cheers

Ledster

chillinfart

#1619 Post by chillinfart »

Two questions.

- I have an Intel centrino, which doesn't support PAE. New 6.0.6 still support this CPU?
- Kernel Issues with Pupdial at 6.0.5. Doesn't connect due to lack of support of PPP filtering. Also, dialer doesn't let the authentication fields empty. My ISP doesn't use passwords to connect (Bitel/Viettel, 3G provider).

prehistoric

#1620 Post by prehistoric »

@666philb

I've now rebuilt the 32-bit version of the nvidia 304.134 driver from scratch in a new installation. I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.134.run file myself directly from nvidia, and specified this on the command line. It verified archive integrity before compiling.

I've also extracted the contents of the resulting .pet. The files match the contents of a successfully running system.

This is a very old driver for a low-powered chip set, compared to anything on the market today. The .run file contains binary data coded in base64 as printable characters, and is 41,201,159 bytes large. This should result in a smaller binary driver, which weighs in at 30,723,572 bytes.

This is the version I have uploaded to my directory at smokey01, along with md5sums. I did not try to build the sfs.

So far, I have only done the driver for the 32-bit version, because I am actually using the 64-bit system for some work. I'll create another clean installation and compile on it. This will go in my tahr64 directory when it is finished.

I still have no idea where the tiny version of the pet came from. It should be roughly around the same size. This was not just lost in transfer, I have a file that size here.