woof-CE needs you

News, happenings
musher0

#661 Post by musher0 »

Billtoo wrote:
musher0 wrote:Great!

Will you be making it available to us simple mortals? ;)
You are publishing it soon, I hope? :D

BFN.
No, if a simple mortal like myself can get one with woof-ce others can
too.

I can follow the steps on page 1 of this thread but I don't have the
knowledge of Linux or Puppy to answer any questions that would come my
way, I am a user not a developer.

Thanks to the developers of woof-ce for providing this tool.

Also, radky's FbBox is a good alternative to JWM in my opinion :)

Thanks.
Ah. Ok. ;)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)
ttuuxxx

#662 Post by ttuuxxx »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
666philb wrote:hi ttuuxxx,

i've just tried the devuan build and the packages downloaded for me. check Packages-devuan-jessie-main, the packages should be listed there.

run 0setup again and see if there's any errors when the package databases are converted to a puppy format.

also i would use a modern pup to build from.... latest slacko or tahr.
Hey 666philb,

Were you using the master branch? Testing and rationlise seem to be on Devuan Ascii now instead of Jessie (for 2 months apparently), or did you somehow add Jessie as a fallback database? I got the same 27 warnings as ttuuxxx in Ascii and it seems to be because the version number in Packages-devuan-ascii-main is higher than DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS now (ie. gcc-6 instead of gcc-4.9) so I tried replacing the older ones with what I think are the right ones. The only three I couldn't find were libjasper, python-support, and xserver-xorg-video-modesetting, which I think are now combined into openjp2 and python and removed from xserver-xorg-video-all? Going to try building it now with this updated spec and see how much stuff is still missing.
Yes you are right I was trying to build Devuan Ascii :)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)
greengeek

#663 Post by greengeek »

Billtoo wrote:Also, radky's FbBox is a good alternative to JWM in my opinion :)
Is a jwm alternative acceptable in a woof-ce pup? I have been trying to keep my pups true to BK's pup definition but I see an increasing amount of negativity towards Jwm. What does woof-ce actually support?
cheers
666philb

#664 Post by 666philb »

ttuuxxx wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
666philb wrote:hi ttuuxxx,

i've just tried the devuan build and the packages downloaded for me. check Packages-devuan-jessie-main, the packages should be listed there.

run 0setup again and see if there's any errors when the package databases are converted to a puppy format.

also i would use a modern pup to build from.... latest slacko or tahr.
Hey 666philb,

Were you using the master branch? Testing and rationlise seem to be on Devuan Ascii now instead of Jessie (for 2 months apparently), or did you somehow add Jessie as a fallback database? I got the same 27 warnings as ttuuxxx in Ascii and it seems to be because the version number in Packages-devuan-ascii-main is higher than DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS now (ie. gcc-6 instead of gcc-4.9) so I tried replacing the older ones with what I think are the right ones. The only three I couldn't find were libjasper, python-support, and xserver-xorg-video-modesetting, which I think are now combined into openjp2 and python and removed from xserver-xorg-video-all? Going to try building it now with this updated spec and see how much stuff is still missing.
have a look through 'packages-devuan-ascii-main' for the new names/versions of the missing packages and then change them in the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS file
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
ttuuxxx

#665 Post by ttuuxxx »

666philb wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote: Hey 666philb,

have a look through 'packages-devuan-ascii-main' for the new names/versions of the missing packages and then change them in the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS file
Last night I tried again by placing the missing packages where they said they needed to go, was like six or so, Then I built it without error and check the size, 80MB, lol Then I looked and there were 50 broken links/missing files. and that was after using Sailor Enceladus updated DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-devuan-ascii so it would be well over 80 messed up packages in this build, I think woof-ce has a few issues :) I'll try again and do what you said
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx

#666 Post by ttuuxxx »

Tried Debian Stretch and had 2 errors initially so I just commented them out
then this

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libcairo-script-interpreter2_1.14.8-1_i386.deb does not exist.
Please find a package that matches, place it in packages-deb-stretch,
then run this script again and choose to build cairo.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/dhcpcd5_6.10.1-1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build dhcpcd.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/geany_1.29-1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build geany.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/gtkam_0.2.0-2+b1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build gtkam.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/gtklp_1.3.1-0.1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build gtklp.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libudf0_0.83-4.3_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build libcdio.

ERROR: packages-pet/pup-volume-monitor-0.15-i686-dpup-stretch.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: pup-volume-monitor)
You will need to find this PET package and place in packages-pet.
Do it, then rerun this script and choose to build pup-volume-monitor.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libmhash2_0.9.9.9-7_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build mhash.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libprocps6_3.3.12-3_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build procps.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/rtmpdump_2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build rtmpdump.

ERROR: packages-pet/eudev-3.2.1-i686-dpup-stretch.pet does not exist.
(Generic name: eudev)
You will need to find this PET package and place in packages-pet.
Do it, then rerun this script and choose to build eudev.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/x11proto-dri3-dev_1.0-1_all.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build x11proto.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libx264-dev_0.148.2748+git97eaef2-1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build x264.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libx265-dev_2.1-2_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build x265.

ERROR: ./packages-pet/libxext6_1.3.3-1_i386.deb does not exist.
then run this script again and choose to build xorg_base_new.

I'll download the missing packages and see how she goes after :)
ttuuxxx

#667 Post by ttuuxxx »

Also I was wondering why we don't host the Parent distro's files on ibiblio for just enough deps to make the main iso, like if Debian/Slackware changes the packages or moves them boom everything gets messed up, If we had just the packages to make the initial Iso image on our host site then things would be more stable and a lot easier.
ttuuxxx
Sailor Enceladus

#668 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

ttuuxxx wrote:Last night I tried again by placing the missing packages where they said they needed to go, was like six or so, Then I built it without error and check the size, 80MB, lol Then I looked and there were 50 broken links/missing files. and that was after using Sailor Enceladus updated DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-devuan-ascii so it would be well over 80 messed up packages in this build, I think woof-ce has a few issues :) I'll try again and do what you said
ttuuxxx
Yes the devuan spec is pretty sparse, and many pets are too old for ascii now and need to be re-compiled against this new base. For instance the jwm pet it grabs is compiled against libjpeg8 and ascii has at least libjpeg62 now, and it also relies on libfribidi and libicuda (or something like that) stuff that you need to add for the desktop to even boot into too. If you run:

Code: Select all

checkdeps /
less /tmp/checkdeps_system.txt
The checkdeps script takes a few minutes, but it will give you a better idea of what bins won't work because they're missing libraries or needs to be recompiled for higher ones. Devuan Ascii will definitely be a "project" to get working perfectly, but if you are up for the challenge of updating everything. :) I think it's a nice project to work on, this thread has some more good tips.
greengeek wrote:
Is a jwm alternative acceptable in a woof-ce pup? I have been trying to keep my pups true to BK's pup definition but I see an increasing amount of negativity towards Jwm. What does woof-ce actually support?
cheers
From what I remember, Puppy 4.20 had both icewm and jwm. I think having that choice was nice. I guess anything light (jwm, icewm, wmx, pekwm) would be considered puppy-worthy. :) Not sure how light FbBox is, maybe ok for a derivative or addon?
Billtoo

#669 Post by Billtoo »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
greengeek wrote:
cheers
From what I remember, Puppy 4.20 had both icewm and jwm. I think having that choice was nice. I guess anything light (jwm, icewm, wmx, pekwm) would be considered puppy-worthy. :) Not sure how light FbBox is, maybe ok for a derivative or addon?
FbBox gives the option to swithch back and forth with JWM
Attachments
Screenshot1.jpg
(31.6 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Moat

#670 Post by Moat »

Is Fbox even still being developed/supported? I was under the impression it was more or less abandoned a while back, whereas Lxde continues on as another of Blackbox's forks. :?:

i.e. - Peebee to the rescue, with his stellar LxPuplets! :)

Bob
Billtoo

#671 Post by Billtoo »

Moat wrote:Is Fbox even still being developed/supported? I was under the impression it was more or less abandoned a while back, whereas Lxde continues on as another of Blackbox's forks. :?:

i.e. - Peebee to the rescue, with his stellar LxPuplets! :)

Bob
New version is almost ready for release I'm told.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(24.75 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
belham2

#672 Post by belham2 »

Does anyone know if there's ever been a pup and/or pup-related OS on here that has attempted to incorporate 'budgie'. I've been using Solus (and other bigger Linux OSes with budgie) for awhile now, and I've gotta say, budgie is nice, not to mention addictive. I know it is written from scratch, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen it here on murga or might be thinking of giving it a go in a pup? Its footprint is right around what mate/lxde is, if I am not mistaken, and is considered lightweight.

Apologies if this is too off-topic from this thread.
ttuuxxx

#673 Post by ttuuxxx »

belham2 wrote:Does anyone know if there's ever been a pup and/or pup-related OS on here that has attempted to incorporate 'budgie'. I've been using Solus (and other bigger Linux OSes with budgie) for awhile now, and I've gotta say, budgie is nice, not to mention addictive. I know it is written from scratch, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen it here on murga or might be thinking of giving it a go in a pup? Its footprint is right around what mate/lxde is, if I am not mistaken, and is considered lightweight.

Apologies if this is too off-topic from this thread.
That depends most puppy versions aren't GTK3, I did do a 2.14X GTK3 years ago, but people didn't really shine to it.
ttuuxxx
ttuuxxx

#674 Post by ttuuxxx »

2.14X uses Xfce panel only and Metacity for the window decorations, This is a great combination that works very well, its very stable and low on resources, only take a bit more than JWM and on the plus side you can can compile other apps like XFburn plus a lot more apps, Sure you could install the full xfce but I liked size of this combo better and well the themes I made I really liked :)
ttuuxxx
Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#675 Post by Billtoo »

I did a Slacko64-6.9.6.4 build with woof-CE by following the steps on
page 1 of this thread, it's pretty well automatic, just respond to the
prompts.
A fast internet connection and a reasonably fast computer help as well.

System: Host: puppypc12052 Kernel: 4.2.5 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Slacko64 Puppy 6.9.6.4
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 125x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 18 F (-8 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: February 16, 11:45 AM EST
Info: Processes: 146 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 270.1/7973.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

Kodi 16.1 is available in PPM, it took a little trial and error to find
the proper order of installing applications.

Thanks again to the woof-CE developers.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(31.95 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Sailor Enceladus

#676 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

One thing I noticed is that the updates_mgr (Menu -> Setup -> Updates Manager) in Slacko seems to rely on Packages-slackware-14.2-patches, which doesn't exist anymore in my last build. I guess one has to download and filter the entire Packages-slackware-14.2-official to add the changes to the updates_mgr list now, or grab the packages in the ChangeLog.txt list manually from the slackware site? Dragging the Packages-slackware-14.2-patches from the official 6.9.6.4 seemed to make the updates_mgr 0.21 work again, though the "The list was last updated on" still doesn't show a date beside it for me after.
Billtoo

woof-CE needs you

#677 Post by Billtoo »

I did a 32bit build and chose the no.pae 3.14.55 kernel.

System: Host: puppypc16760 Kernel: 3.14.55 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Slacko Puppy 6.9.6.4
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 137x43 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.5% used)
Weather: Conditions: 27 F (-3 C) - Mostly Cloudy Time: February 17, 6:40 PM EST
Info: Processes: 136 Uptime: 2:01 Memory: 192.6/3289.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

It would boot on this hp desktop but only to the prompt, most of the
radeon firmware was missing and trying to run xorgwizard did nothing.
There a 2 firmware pets available in PPM and I saved them to a flash
drive after booting on a supported computer and downloading them with
PPM.
I managed to get the pets to install after booting with the nox option
and using petget, then downloaded the firmware with PPM and rebooted to
create the savefile.
Anyway, got it working :)
There are more applications available in the 32bit build, google-earth
for one.
This build has the newest Firefox,openssl, and other updates too I
think.
I guess updating PPM once in a while will allow getting any future
updates.
It would be great if 01micko had the time to update and post new 32 and
64 bit isos for a new beta.
I'm pretty sure they would be a hit with users, this one runs great :)
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(63.15 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Sailor Enceladus

#678 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Re: Updates. I generally only use ppm for stuff compiled specifically for puppy that I want to add like the extra pets in the puppy-slacko-14.2 directory, and even then I sometimes just go to ibiblio or the forum to grab things because I find it faster. I don't think looking for security updates like openssl in ppm makes as much sense as having all the slackware updates in a list like before. I guess an alert or sub-menu in ppm that tells you what you can update could work though. As far as I can tell, you currently have to search for the specific program for it to tell that a new version of it is out, even after updating the database.

edit: Making puppies in woof-ce is probably the best way to keep everything up to date though, unless changes bork things :lol:
slavvo67

#679 Post by slavvo67 »

Which Woof-CE? There's Master, Testing, Rationalize... rk someing and legacy. I know the 1st post says use testing but what R the others for?
LazY Puppy

#680 Post by LazY Puppy »

At least the Rationalize branch has something to do with to optimize code. So they made changes/rewrites to/of the init script in initrd. These changes made all my developments completely useless. That said everything that I'd started to develop in November 2015 is completely useless in Puppies beyond Tahr Puppy.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: