old Apple hardware

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
oui

old Apple hardware

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

are some Puppy users on Apple hardware with Puppy?

what are they doing:
a/ communicate with the Apple hardware?
b/ work with Puppy on them?

which problems did they meet to solve to do that?

which Puppy versions are best to do it in their opinion?

is there some Apple hardware where they would recommand: don't touch it!

kind regards

purple379

Usually, a lot of Linux distros work with an Apple.

#2 Post by purple379 »

I am thinking of the Apple Computers which have Intel Processors. To use a Linux with the Apple Computers that used the Processor which Apple itself once made, you would likely have to use an older version of Linux. I think the Apple manufactured processors were called PowerPC.

Apple tends to chose Hardware which there are Linux drivers for. That is Apple does not usually choose hardware components based on low price, so usually there are Linux drivers.

I have a Mid-2009 17 inch MBP. Some versions of Linux might not have the driver for its Video Card.

Puppy has an option to use the main processor to do graphics Processing, so it is easier for a newbie to use the Puppy GUI and poke about a bit to find the correct Video Driver. For those of us who do not do Command Line Linux, BASH, that is a good thing.

I did encounter one or two things that might be of interest to you. Once I started to boot Linux from the optical drive, which can take more than a minute or two. Someone called for me to come outside to do something, so I closed the lid, while it was still booting, and went on. I came back an hour later, the MBP was seriously warm. It would not start up, even after I plugged back into the mains. Battery was completely depleted., Apple Care did not even laugh at me in going through the process to get my MBP back to working. Scared me badly. I was afraid I had gorked my MBP.

Booting Linux from a flash drive is quite rapid.

I suspect that there are some places where OS X has buffers working, and Linux might not. However Puppy is so quick and agile, you might not notice.

bark_bark_bark

Re: Usually, a lot of Linux distros work with an Apple.

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

purple379 wrote:I am thinking of the Apple Computers which have Intel Processors. To use a Linux with the Apple Computers that used the Processor which Apple itself once made, you would likely have to use an older version of Linux. I think the Apple manufactured processors were called PowerPC.
Actually, IBM made PowerPC. The Macs though were the only computers that used it that succeeded in the home market, but plenty of other companies that made PowerPC-based workstations succeeded in other markets. IBM even themselves did try to release general-purpose PowerPC laptop which was basically a PC laptop but with a PowerPC CPU instead of an x86 one.

Les Kerf

#4 Post by Les Kerf »

I regularly boot a 2009 iMac desktop from Puppy Linux using a thumb drive.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88676

mini-jaguar

#5 Post by mini-jaguar »

Yes, it works fine with Intel Macs, but you have to do some EFI tricks to install it to hard disk. I've covered this before, just search for mac and my name, you should get some results.