How to use wifi in Legacy OS 2017?

Using applications, configuring, problems
iggy50

How to use wifi in Legacy OS 2017?

#1 Post by iggy50 »

I've install frugal Wary 5.5 on my old compac presario (on its own partition) and wifi works great but when I try to configure wifi on Legacy os 2017, it fails to find any wireless networks to join. I want to use Legacy OS 2017 because its a fresh release (updated browsers, etc.).

Is there any way I can copy over the wlan setup files/drivers from wary over to Legacy OS 2017?

I'm trying to FULL install Legacy OS 2017 on another partition but can't find a grub2 menu-entry examples that will work (found examples for frugal install of wary). Only been able to run Legacy from live CD so far. Might try frugal of Legacy for temp work-around for now but still need to fix wifi on it.

Robert123

#2 Post by Robert123 »

Short answer no you can't copy kernel modules for wifi from Wary to Legacy as they are kernel specific.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

s243a

Re: Legacy OS 2017 wifi with b43legacy

#3 Post by s243a »

iggy50 wrote:I've install frugal Wary 5.5 on my old compac presario (on its own partition) and wifi works great but when I try to configure wifi on Legacy os 2017, it fails to find any wireless networks to join. I want to use Legacy OS 2017 because its a fresh release (updated browsers, etc.).

Is there any way I can copy over the wlan setup files/drivers from wary over to Legacy OS 2017?

I'm trying to FULL install Legacy OS 2017 on another partition but can't find a grub2 menu-entry examples that will work (found examples for frugal install of wary). Only been able to run Legacy from live CD so far. Might try frugal of Legacy for temp work-around for now but still need to fix wifi on it.
If you have a wireless extender maybe it has a wired port that you can use. Otherwise maybe see what drivers Wary is using and whether or not you can compile them on legacy pup. The reality is though that an older kernal will support less hardware out of the box.