When will puppy boot from pcmcia cd drive?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
jaxpilot

When will puppy boot from pcmcia cd drive?

#1 Post by jaxpilot »

I have hosed my Sony Viao picturebook somehow, and cannot boot any version of puppy on the HD. I either get a message that puppy cannot be found on idehe, or I get a kernal panic.

I need to be able to boot from a CD to fix it.

Thanks,
Paul

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

With Puppy you'll have to go back to the OLD "128Mb" builds, these will boot from a PCMCIA CD-Rom drive on a VAIO (I have one).

These builds had a huge initrd.gz that was loaded by ISO Linux, and didn't need driver level support for the boot device ... However, Puppy is more geared for slimmer devices now and it has lost this ability.

I think the most recent one of these builds was an old "Mean Puppy" release, I can upload it if you want, but it'll be out of date.

Creating a "boot anywhere" 128Mb build would be possible (and it would now probably only require 92Mb), but it would also go against much of Puppy's current objectives I think.

Cheers
JohnM

lee

#3 Post by lee »

I'm new to Puppy Linux (though I'm a user of Fedora, RH, etc) I'm also trying to install on a VAIO Picturebook (PCG-C1VPK) that only has the PCMCIA CD-RW drive to install from. Unfortunately I get the "cannot find Puppy on idecd boot media" so I'm guessing the reason is the driver/module isn't installed in 2.10r as you explained in your earlier reply.

Another attempt I've been trying is to use both my SONY PCMCIA drive and a 3rd party USB CDRW drive together. I was able to use this approach to get Fedora 5 installed. I've tried "puppy pmedia=usbcd nopcmcia" to no go. It appears Puppy is still trying to find the idecd boot media despite my attempt to override to the USB drive. Any suggestions?

Fedora is too heavy, and DSL/DSL-n works but is too light (instead of XVesa, I'd like to use X.org so I can do a virtual screen of 1024x768); and I'm hoping Puppy will be just right for this Transmeta 667 MHz machine (it is going to be a harddrive install) with 128Mb.

Thanks, and Pupply Looks great! (I livebooted onto a Dell laptop! A fine job!)

lee

#4 Post by lee »

Just curious as I just realized something 4 hours later that I might not have tried: when I use PMEDIA boot param, should it be uppercase only? I remembered seeing an example of PFILE as "puppy pfile=xxx" so I kept all my attempts at lowercase.

Otherwise, another idea since my install fails and I get dumped to a shell, is there some way I can modify PUPSTATE within the RAMDISK and restart the boot process to try my second drive (the USB cdrw drive with my second copy of the ISO image).

Okay, I need to stop thinking about this problem until I head back to the office! :-)

Rudy

Approaching New Year 2006...

#5 Post by Rudy »

... I still have a wish: Puppy booting again from an external (PCMCIA) CD-ROM most subnotebooks and especially my Vaio SR1K uses, like in the old days, when Puppy 1.0.8 ruled, still under 70MB and a superb distro. I will put it on my wish list... is it really so hard to deliver?

pradi

Need Puppy for PCMCIA CDROM drive

#6 Post by pradi »

JohnMurga, Would you like upload Puppy PCMCIA CDROM version, I interest to install on my VAIO PCG-505G 64MB RAM. And please let me that links, thanks

Terry Dactil

#7 Post by Terry Dactil »

I had the same problems with my Sony Vaio PCG- 505TX and Puppy Linux 2.10.

Using a Wake2pup diskette I had no luck trying to boot from either the CD or a USB memory stick.
However, I have managed to get Puppy up and running by using this work-around.

I used a Win98 boot disk with CDROM support to copy the files from the Puppy CD to the HDD (to the DOS partition)
Not all the files on the CD are needed - but I am lazy, and "copy E:\*.* c:\" is quick and easy.
Also copy the IDEHD marker file on the Wake2pup diskett to the same place as the files from the CD.

Now booting from the Wake2pup diskette will find the required files on the HDD but crash with an out of memory error when loading the Pup_210.sfs file (there is only 64Mb on my computer)
This problem was solved by booting up with a DSL (Damn Small Linux) CD using the boot parameters " dsl ide2=0x180 nopcmcia vga=788", and making and formatting a 100Mb linux swap partition. (as well as some other Linux partitions for later use.)

Wake2pup now completes the boot sequence and Puppy Linux runs OK.

I used Xorg and 1024 x 768 resolution.
The CDROM and network card install OK and are recognised when they are inserted.

No luck so far using Puppy universal installer to install to the HDD just yet, but I am still learning about the GRUB boot loader, so I have high hopes of eventually getting everything working perfectly.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

See my post about Sony CD drive here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=12014

pradi

#9 Post by pradi »

Thank you for nice advices. I hope PUPPYLINUX will on my VAIO soon.