libreboot a good idea doomed to fail

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
bark_bark_bark

libreboot a good idea doomed to fail

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I think the whole idea of libreboot is a good one. I think there should be an open replacement to the the rootkit we call UEFI. The problem is that with most processors lacking open source drivers (isn't it called microcode in this case?), most modern hardware will not work with it and Core 2 Duo CPUs are on the borderline of being to old for modern day-to-day usage.

What are your thoughts, though?

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

I agree that the idea of libreboot is a good one. I'm not sure quite how you set your borderline, saying that Core2Duos are almost not good enough for day-to-day use.

I use a dual-core Athlon 64 X2@2 GHz (at the time, the AMD equivalent to the Core2Duo); it's plenty fast enough for my day-to-day use. In my case, games don't even enter into the equation.....my main usage is for graphic design. It's perfect for this, especially running Puppy!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

russoodle

#3 Post by russoodle »

Thread here by foxh0und on the subject, too..

I'm all for it, and hopefully there are some clever coders who can find a smart way around the UEFI bollocks, so users can choose what they wish to do with their own PCs..
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

russoodle wrote:Thread here by foxh0und on the subject, too..

I'm all for it, and hopefully there are some clever coders who can find a smart way around the UEFI bollocks, so users can choose what they wish to do with their own PCs..
Well said, russoodle; I couldn't agree more. It's absolutely crazy that Linux allows you to do almost totally what you want with your hardware.....with the exception of controlling the one thing that makes it all possible. :shock: Although of course, running pre-UEFI hardware certainly helps..! I just wouldn't like to say exactly how much longer it'll keep running for... :lol:

What price capitalism, eh?

Mike. :wink: